New 8 string

Loupin' Flech

Reaction score
The new Kala 8 string arrived yesterday and what a difference it's made to my playing!All the songs I've been struggling with 'cos they didn't sound right,no matter what key I played them in,now sound good.Reckon it's the fuller sound makes the diff.My step-daughter pounced when she came home from school and started dribbling all over it and now she wants one!Any other 8 string players out there?

Nice...congratulations on you 8 stringer. Any pictures to show us?????

Watching the mail for mine to finally arrive. (the same one, Kala 8 string) Did you have any problems tuning it the first time?

No,it was pretty much in tune out of the box,and it holds the tuning quite well.I find it quite fiddly to tune with the strings being so close together,but a long fingernail or a pick would be the answer I reckon.

I got a Lanikai O8-E a while back and love the sound. The tuning does take a little getting used to but after you do it a few times it feels pretty normal.

It finally got here. (Kala 8 string). The strings were loose so it did take some tuning to get them right but it wasn't all that hard to do. Love the sound, so much fuller. I'm not finding strumming that hard but I do have to pay attention to the cording and make sure I press down all the strings. I'm happy.

I have a Lanikai 8 string,but I was (forgive the
expression!) a 12 string guitarist for over 20
years before that!
So it feels completely natural to me,and compared
to the 12 string,very easy to play!

I too have a Lanikai O8-E, and it's not just my default uke, it's my default instrument. Someday, I'll feel worthy of a better one, but for now it sounds nice, stays in tune well, and I don't have to handle it with kid gloves. (I tend to be hard on my instruments, and often play the Lanikai with a guitar pick, because I usually play with anywhere from 4-15 acoustic guitarists.)

For those of you new to the 8-string, stock up on classical guitar wound D strings, because your wound low G will wear out much faster than your other strings.

I play my dad's once in awhile. I love that it sounds like more than two ukes in one, but i find it too be too much of a workout. I guess I should play it more to get to be a stronger player. My fingers anyway!

Fil,I got round that problem by using Aquila strings.
When I need a new Low G I just slap an Aquila Tenor
C string on! This has been discussed before,so don't
worry,I have been told often that it does not work.
Well ya boo,cos it does!!!!

Bad news:had to return the Kala yesterday because the neck was breaking away from the body,as though the strings were overtight.I hope it repairs 'cos there's a two month wait for new ukes in this neck of the woods.I noticed the same as you Quiltingshirley,got to really push down or get lots of buzzing.D and E are my worst chords as I need to do 6 strings with 2 fingers..

I have a Lanikai 8-string I bought from Mim. I like the fuller sound but, as people have pointed out, it is harder on the fretting fingers. One of my ukulele class instructors has a Kamaka 8-string that he got years ago, and it sounds wonderful. When I told him I bought a Kamaka last month, I think he was disappointed that the one I got was only a 4-string. I'm not sure I'd play an 8-string frequently enough to justify the cost of a Kamaka 8-string, but I do enjoy playig the 8-string I have.

Sorry to hear the Kalaq 8-string had to go back. I hope it gets replaced quickly.

I ordered my Lanikai LU-8E Thursday. Looks like it'll be here tomorow. I think I'm going to swap out the wound low G with a Worth brown low G .0358 I have extra. I've had my 12 string guitar for 15 years so I think I should be good to go next week once the strings set. I don't think there are strap pins so I'll need to take care of that. As you can see I play a heavy ukulele already.

I like playing my 4 string uke but miss the fuller sound of my mandolin or guitar. Unfortunately as I got older, my wrist started acting up so I never play them much anymore. We'll se how the 8-string treats me. Rick

I've had a Lanikai 8-string since UWC and I just love it. (Well, THEM. The first one got smashed when a car hit me on my moped! Guess who's making an 8-string CBU this winter!)

So much so that I had to curse Mim's very name for costing me double when I finally get a custom made, as I'm gonna need both 4- and 8-string versions! *grin*

For me, as I play predominantly at Open Mics run by two guys with guitars, it was a good choice, as it's a little more "guitar-y", which makes it easier for an uninitiated audience to handle. I still play my sopranino and my Kamaka at these things, but the 8-string is the go-to instrument, simply because it's easier for the audience to wrap their heads around.

I've been playing my boyfriend's Pegasus 8-string for the past couple of days while he has been wrapped up in his new `Oiwi 6-string. They sound absolutely fantastic together!

Top Bottom