Anyone ever use Bridge Bone Beads?

I ordered some and received them last week. I haven't used them yet. I have the original black...I think that they would look nice on one of my mainlands...I think they would look good with the rope binding.

I have 3 new uke's coming this week and will probably throw them on with a string change.

image9271.jpg

They make those UGLY classical guitar type bridges look less ugly.

Just bought some from Southcoast last week & another couple of sets from the eBay seller "nationalgift", so haven't tried them yet. Ask PDXuke - he bought a set from Southcoast as well in a thread about alternate ways to tie off the bridge end of the strings. I believe that I am going to be using them on my KoAloha Super Concert & probably my LoPrinzi when I restring them to D'Addario Titanium's as soon as they come in. The makers are apparently "Rosette Guitar Products" here: http://bridgebonebeads.com/

They also have some interesting side fret markers that I think I'm gonna try.

Dirk at Southcoast sells them & talks about them here:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/BBBs.htm

I think that they are a pretty innovative solution for restringing.

Thanks. I think I have a few sets coming for review. I will post here when I get them and the review.

I just got some in the mail and while they look nice, I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Southcoast was great to do business with though!

I once tried beads on a very nice solid acoustic guitar - made zero difference to sound to my ears. I then took them off and tried them on a cheapie acoustic - ditto.

In my experience, subtle tonal changes are easier to detect on a large bodied acoustic guitar than on uke, so presume they have zero effect on sound with the 4 stringed wonder.

That said, I suppose they add a bling element - if bling is your thing then I am all for it!

They also help us knot-tying-challenged types like me. That's mainly why I wanted to try them out. I probably won't bother with the twist-tie type bridges but the standard and the pin bridge (if it fits) - heck yeah.

The other thread where Dirk mentioned the BridgeBoneBeads is this one:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?44502-Bridge-Tie

Short thread & some of the same posters (me for instance) & some of the same context. I just got the sets I ordered from SouthCoast today & will be trying them out before the weekend on one of my ukes. Its not really JUST the cosmetic or "bling" factor that interests me, but rather that fact as that earlier thread mentions, "traditional" string ties tend to lift the string up & away from the saddle that you want the string to "break over". So the alternates discussed in that thread including BridgeBoneBeads change that angle. Another advantage, I believe, is that the traditional string tie ends up gouging the tie off - especially on cheaper ukes which might use cheaper bridge materials. Case in point: I just got in a KALA "Mighty Uke" & though I think it had Aquila's on it, I decided to change out the strings almost immediately to Ko'olau Alohi that I had just got in to try. Even the Aquila's had already gouged/crushed the wood of the bridge visibly. This bridge is a "screwed on" bridge & it has a VERY thin channel where they cut out an area to hide the screws under another thin layer of "rosewood" (or painted balsa the way it crushes!) Anyway, I am going to put a set of the BridgeBoneBeads on this baby when I get in a new bone nut & saddle for it to replace the plastic ones that came w/it. This will take care of the long term mangling of the bridge & yes, add a bit of bling as well.

The other thread where Dirk mentioned the BridgeBoneBeads is this one:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?44502-Bridge-Tie

Short thread & some of the same posters (me for instance) & some of the same context. I just got the sets I ordered from SouthCoast today & will be trying them out before the weekend on one of my ukes. Its not really JUST the cosmetic or "bling" factor that interests me, but rather that fact as that earlier thread mentions, "traditional" string ties tend to lift the string up & away from the saddle that you want the string to "break over". So the alternates discussed in that thread including BridgeBoneBeads change that angle. Another advantage, I believe, is that the traditional string tie ends up gouging the tie off - especially on cheaper ukes which might use cheaper bridge materials. Case in point: I just got in a KALA "Mighty Uke" & though I think it had Aquila's on it, I decided to change out the strings almost immediately to Ko'olau Alohi that I had just got in to try. Even the Aquila's had already gouged/crushed the wood of the bridge visibly. This bridge is a "screwed on" bridge & it has a VERY thin channel where they cut out an area to hide the screws under another thin layer of "rosewood" (or painted balsa the way it crushes!) Anyway, I am going to put a set of the BridgeBoneBeads on this baby when I get in a new bone nut & saddle for it to replace the plastic ones that came w/it. This will take care of the long term mangling of the bridge & yes, add a bit of bling as well.

I honestly did not search the other threads. I am such a noob some days :p

Just restrung my Kala "Mighty Uke" using the BridgeBoneBeads I bought from SouthCoast. I love them! I'm going to be putting a set on my LoPrinzi tonight.

WP_000122.jpgWP_000126.jpgWP_000125.jpg

NOTE: the first photo shows how bad the default string tie was already distressing the wood on this NEW uke. I really like the alternative these BridgeBoneBeads bring.

Last edited:
Hmm... I like that look! My issue with BridgeBoneBeads is that look awfully big on a little uke. I'm not sure if a smaller bead works as well, but it looks much nicer.

Things like this DO NOT increase string tension. They will increase the break angle over the saddle and thus increase down pressure on the saddle itself as a part of the overall bridge system, but there is zero change in string tension. Physics, folks...

String tension at a given pitch is a factor of A) string linear density, and B) scale length. Nothing you do to the after length of the string(s) behind the bridge saddle or above the nut affects actual measurable string tension. Coupling, yes. String feel, yes. Tension, no.

I agree totally. it feels like the stings have more tension. if I came across as they add tension I came accross wrong. I will read the article again and try to clear up any confusion. Thanks for commenting.

I had wanted to respond to this post and to the review of the BridgeBoneBeads as soon as it was posted. At the time, however, we had just asked fellow members to take one of our string sets for a test run. I didn’t want to give anyone the idea that I would react poorly to a negative review.

Fair, honest, informed opinions are what I was looking for on the strings, and as it turned out that was what the members gave me. Constructive criticism is always helpful, but I also kind of assumed there would be that “Aloha” spirit that permeates this forum. I can only speculate as to the intentions of Tim on his review, and so I won’t do that.

The review, however, is so bad on so many levels it was hard to know where to begin. I decided to focus on just two points. First, the review obviously puts a very great value on cost. Not surprising, as that is the philosophy of Tim’s website:

I don’t know about you but I am limited to how much I can spend at any given time on such things as ukuleles. If I get my hands an a nice ukulele I will review it, but that will not be my main goal. Honestly many ukes under $100 are really nice with some work.

However, what he implies is that we sell products that are overpriced. That may not have been his intention, but when you request (free) samples of someone’s product and then proceed to show how to go about achieving something that is “sort of the same” for less money, that is the impression you will leave.

If price is such an important part of the equation in Tim’s reviews, then a little research might have shown that we sell the Ukulele BridgeBoneBeads for $1-$2 a set less than anyone else. We may have some items that are expensive, but expensive and “overpriced” are not the same. Our mark-ups are low – we try to do everything possible to provide the best price.

Tim says he can’t understand why they would be $1 less if bought with strings. It really shouldn’t be that hard for such a price conscious guy to figure out that when we put them in the same packet with a set of strings, we save packaging and postage. We thought we might pass those savings along.

Leaving the other problems with this review aside, I’ll comment on just one more aspect. This statement:

Both ways work and have their pros and cons.

Nowhere in this review is there a “pro” to how store bought decorative beads work. That’s because there isn’t one – unless you want to include price. Price is not usually included in a description of how things “work”.

BrigeBoneBeads are simpler to tie. A simpler knot is inherently more secure because it is, in fact “simpler”! A knot on a BridgeBoneBead is therefore much less likely to fail than on a decorative bead, but in that unlikely event, it is also much less likely to gouge up your soundboard, since it ties on the side. Tying on the side means it’s not going to scratch either your arm or the soundboard. Of course a simpler knot is also a quicker knot. It’s less likely to buzz on the fretboard because of the flattened bottom side (the review noted this). I have probably forgotten some other advantage, but again, there is no advantage to the other method.

A fair statement might have been: “BridgeBoneBeads have some advantages over the less expensive methods, but are those worth the extra money? Not to me.” That statement would have been accurate in its first part and in its second, a pure personal statement of opinion, to which Tim would be entitled.

Last edited:
i have a question, doesn't the vibration of the instrument, and hard playing make these beads rattle against the top/soundboard??

wolfybau
i have a question, doesn't the vibration of the instrument, and hard playing make these beads rattle against the top/soundboard??
... It’s less likely to buzz on the fretboard because of the flattened bottom side (the review noted this)..

I should have said "soundboard". I'll explain this part a little better. It would be hard to pick up in photos, but the while the BridgeBoneBead appears to be oval, one side is, in fact, flat. That side goes down when you put on your strings. This design is for exactly the problem you mentioned.

I ordered a set of Bonebeads with a set of flatwounds for my Lichty tenor uke from Southcoast and put them on a couple of weeks ago. My setup is a bit different from most ukers in that my strings pass through the soundboard and are tied off inside the body, like many guitar styles. My luthier originally installed strings with some small beads and they worked fine.
Dirk was kind enough to explain how the beads would function inside, so I used them that way. They make tying off and stringing so easy, and they are very secure. The beads are really small and I think even on a soprano size they would not look overdone. I will soon order a second set of both the beads and the flatwounds to put on my Kamaka tenor, which has the more traditional tie at base of the saddle. I'm just not sure which color to purchase to make the look right.

Top Bottom