PDA

View Full Version : Spongebob Pineapple Uke

deemster007
05-18-2011, 05:31 AM
So...scouring ebay t'other day and saw a Spongebob pineapple that was close to ending at only 8. Decided to have a punt and got it for 12 plus postage. All in all less than half shop price. I was kidding myself that I was getting it for my two year old rather than an extra toy for me.

Its a fun looker (photos to follow) and as usual has rubbish liquorice strings.

The uke is made by the same guys who make the Vintage VUK15 and frankly sounds just as bad. Changed to Aquila and the clarity of the notes is much better but the intonation is all over the place.

Build quality is about what you'd expect from a "toy" with poor filling in the neck and patchy paint. Nut grooves are not deep enough, saddle insert is higher at the lower end. If I'd paid more than 20 I'd have been a bit miffed compared to how good a Makala Dolphin is for around that price.

Planning to do a bit of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGz14ohX9Y on it and see if I can make it sing.

So far its a pretty toy for a kids room....but I will make it into a musical instrument yet!!

ukuloonie
05-18-2011, 06:04 AM
The video that you link to is pretty good, helpful and funny, the Video is in German, though it has English subtitles.
I hope that your gonna make your Spongebob workout Deemster, plus you get the experience of fixing up your Ukulele.:cool:

deemster007
05-23-2011, 04:55 AM
Ok.....

File down the bridge plastic to get it and even height....check
Attack nut with nail file....check

Result....well the easy chords at the easy end of the neck sound much better. Gets a bit dodgy at the higher registers. All strings are a bit sharp at the 12th but overall a much, much improved sound and as a result the little thing does indeed sound like a real instrument.

joep
05-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Thanks for posting that. When my new ukulele gets here I'm going to try working on the one I'm playing now (Mahalo). It needs a little of the same thing.