What does Hz on a tuner mean???

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi guys...purchased a Intelli MT500 clip on tuner and it's factory calibrated to 440 hz. You can change the hz but I have no idea what it means... Any explanation would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi guys...purchased a Intelli MT500 clip on tuner and it's factory calibrated to 440 hz. You can change the hz but I have no idea what it means... Any explanation would be appreciated. Thanks
Itll HurtZ your ears when you tune your uke to anything but 440.

its short for hertz. 440 is the speed of the frequency of the sound waves for chromatic tuning. (I think)

Hz is the scientific notation for frequency (short for, and pronounced Hertz). The more Hz the higher the note. 440 Hz is the standard 'A', and you'll probably never want to change that. 880 Hz is also an A, but an octave higher, and so on.
All in all: don't worry and don't bother, everything is OK.

Jens

440 Hz is the standard 'A', and you'll probably never want to change that.
The reason you can change it is that 440Hz hasn't always been the standard for 'A'. The A started around 400Hz; also 435 has been popular for a while (and is still in use for old music). You can still buy tuning forks for a couple of different 'popular' tunings. But if you don't know anything about Hz and tuning you should probably leave it at 440 ;-)
BTW: even though 440 Hz is the official standard, most European orchestras use A = 442 Hz or 443 Hz. Pitch inflation still continues.

Last edited:
The reason you can change it is that 440Hz hasn't always been the standard for 'A'. The A started around 400Hz; also 435 has been popular for a while (and is still in use for old music). You can still buy tuning forks for a couple of different 'popular' tunings. But if you don't know anything about Hz and tuning you should probably leave it at 440 ;-)
BTW: even though 440 Hz is the official standard, most European orchestras use A = 442 Hz or 443 Hz. Pitch inflation still continues.
Yup other countries have different standards in the past and present..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440_(pitch_standard)

Thanks...I tried to read the wiki but a little too scientific...ultimately, not going to touch it...now, intonation issues, that will be my next issue. lol

Top Bottom