Scraping vs sanding

Spookymoulder

Reaction score
I'm new in he whole woodworking game
but i came across a video where the guy
was using a scraper instead of sandpaper.
he made an interesting point about sandpaper filling pores
and scraping leaving a nicer surface.
And the more i read about it
the more i see scraping to be a much better choice.

Since i'm new in the game, should i develop a hand for the scraper?

What do you guys say about this?

In my experience they both have their place. A scraper is very good for refining the shape of a neck, leveling sides and bindings and I use a curved scraper as the last step in the finishing of the interior of the tops and backs of my arch top instruments. You need a burnishing tool and some practice to keep them sharp.

Brad

In my woodworking I like to use planes, scrapers and files and sandpaper last resort, but when you have the right grits sandpaper has its place.
Cheers Ron.

It's one of the essential tools to have, but you do need to know how to sharpen them. It's not hard to do, and when they are sharp they are amazing to use. If they aren't you'll be asking yourself what all the fuss is about.

For levelling bindings and rosettes there is nothing better than a sharp scraper.

It's one of the essential tools to have, but you do need to know how to sharpen them. It's not hard to do, and when they are sharp they are amazing to use. If they aren't you'll be asking yourself what all the fuss is about.

For levelling bindings and rosettes there is nothing better than a sharp scraper.

And sharpness is the key, otherwise the scraper is simply gliding over the surface. I love to use scrapers when they're new, I just haven't been able to get a nice burr on them after I've used them.

Cabinet scrapers are an essential tool for making longbows.

I stick mine in a vice and rub a steel screwdriver along the edge to get the burr back.

If you use this method. Be very careful! Consider the scraper as a knife edge and treat with respect. Trust mr they bite if you get a bit enthusiastic with your rubbing!

6sc

Yes, I'll put the scraper in a vise as well, square the edge with a mill file and attempt to get the "like new" burr back with either the shaft of a large philips screwdriver or a knife sharpening steel. I just wonder if there is something special about those tools they sell specifically to put a burr on a scraper. I thought if anything would substitute for it, a steel would.

In my woodworking I like to use planes, scrapers and files and sandpaper last resort, but when you have the right grits sandpaper has its place.
Cheers Ron.

I am same as Ron, I like to use all the hand tools, hand planes, scrapers, files, rasp....

I am pretty new at wood working as well. Spookymoulder, have you tried a scraper before?

To be honest with you, before I got mine, I have thought that it is a weird idea to use a piece of iron to scratch my wood. But after I got mine and tried...oh man...I do like the feel how the scrapers made the wood flat and smooth.

Scrapers are relatively inexpensive, compared to a plane...so, try it out..:D

PS, love your first build thread...it is great

I've only got two scrapers, one flat and one hollow. The hollow one works wonders on a neck. I use them both a lot and will get a few more in the future. I also throw mine in the vice and file them then hit them with a screwdriver... but the burnisher set to the right angle is on my to buy list. Veritas sells a nifty little burnishing device for like 30 bucks that looks like it would put a very precise edge on a scraper. Scrapers do rock... I need to use them more than I do.

By the way, these scrapers are Hirsch Werkzeuge brand... is that a good brand? Got them on ebay pretty cheap and I like them. What are some good brands?

Last edited:
I just wonder if there is something special about those tools they sell specifically to put a burr on a scraper.
I bought the special tool from stewmac. It does work a lot better than a screwdriver, but the extra dvd I chose to buy together with it was worthless - just a nice guy reading aloud the free included instructional paper. I mean, if you can't read, can you start a dvd?

I think the shaft of an 8 mm drill bit would be quite good, since the steel is harder than the one in most screwdrivers.

Sven

I am same as Ron, I like to use all the hand tools, hand planes, scrapers, files, rasp....

I am pretty new at wood working as well. Spookymoulder, have you tried a scraper before?

To be honest with you, before I got mine, I have thought that it is a weird idea to use a piece of iron to scratch my wood. But after I got mine and tried...oh man...I do like the feel how the scrapers made the wood flat and smooth.

Scrapers are relatively inexpensive, compared to a plane...so, try it out..:D

PS, love your first build thread...it is great

I haven't used a scraper yet, but plan to get one this week.
Mabe it wont take the place of sandpaper completely.
but i think also it will cut down on the amount that I use.
I gunk up my sandpaper pretty quick.

And thanks :]

I've used scrapers on mandolin building, kayak building and rowing scull building. It does take a bit of practise to get a good sharp burr, but when you do, it finishes really well. Be aware that they are a finishing tool, not a gouging tool. Get good quality steel scrapers, don't buy rubbish. The steel needs to be of the right grade to take and hold a good sharp burr. I tried using both a screwdriver and a scraper burnishing tool to get a burr, and both work for me. Take your time and enjoy using them.

Yeah scrapers are nice. If sharp they work well. Keeps you working the wood nice and true. That is with out a lot of low spots like what happens when you get buisy on your palm sander. Also try making or buying a holder for your card. Easier on the old hands.

Scrapers and sandpaper both have their place, I use them both. But I thought I would point out that if sandpaper truly filled the wood pores we would all use it before applying any finish. Sandpaper just leaves you one more step before pore filling, removing the tiny pieces of wood it creates.

It pays to buy good sandpaper too. 3M stuff lasts forever before it loads up and does a better job than other cheaper sandpapers. I bought a Grizzly palm sander a while back and used it a few times and now it's collecting dust lol, back to blocks and scrapers... the palm sander works great, fast... I was surprised how good it runs for the price. I guess I'd just rather do without the noise and vibration.

Top Bottom