humidifier.

bundy

Reaction score
simple question.
can i put a humidifier inside a ukulele if i have no case?

You can use a dampit humidifier (made for stringed instruments like a violin) pictured below. More info can be found here. One disadvantage is you have to re-soak the tube every 4-5 days.

music-basics_2009_44810881

Save a few bucks and get a case! MGM has good prices on basic cases. Without a case, your uke is competing with the outside world for the moisture in the humidifier.

Now, since you've spent your money on a case, make your own humidifier. Buy a pak of Cello sponges from Target or Walmart. Cut a small piece of sponge, dampen it, wring it out, and put in into a zip lock bag that you have poked several holes in.

I use a piece about 1 inch by 3 inches for my guitars when needed. I would use a piece about half that size for a uke

Dampits are for extreme dehydration only not day to day use. I have seen some major repair bils like in the 2-3000$ range due to overuse of those things in classicals. REally get a small humidifier and a case.

thanks for the responses.
i was hoping to save money by buying an ukulele without a case.

If you want to get ghetto, put it in a trash bag and tie a knot at the end or buy one of those big rubbermade storage bins for $10. What kind if ukulele are you humidifying? If it's a nice uke, it deserves a nice home.

Dampits are for extreme dehydration only not day to day use. I have seen some major repair bils like in the 2-3000$ range due to overuse of those things in classicals. REally get a small humidifier and a case.
Care to define overuse? I've used one for two years now and haven't experienced any problems.

If you want to get ghetto, put it in a trash bag and tie a knot at the end or buy one of those big rubbermade storage bins for $10. What kind if ukulele are you humidifying? If it's a nice uke, it deserves a nice home.

i actually dont have one yet.
im planning on getting a ohana ck35 or a kala asmc.

Top Bottom