Uke fit in case?

jorgs

Reaction score
Hey guys--just put my Black Bear concert uke in a new Oahu case--I'm not sure the case is deep enough. Anyone else dealt with something like this? It's pretty tight at the heel of the neck, but even at the bottom of the lower bout, where the uke is just over 4" in depth.

My new custom uke is smaller than the case is designed to fit, so it moves around a bit. I still cant find a case that it fits into perfectly.

Hey guys--just put my Black Bear concert uke in a new Oahu case--I'm not sure the case is deep enough. Anyone else dealt with something like this? It's pretty tight at the heel of the neck, but even at the bottom of the lower bout, where the uke is just over 4" in depth.

not all ukes and cases are meant for eachother :)

try before you buy!

JT

mendel, you may want to look into the Fremont tweed rectangular case. I was up In Seattle at Dusty Strings and they had the Uke Crazy case that you had and the Fremont case. I compared the two and I think the Fremont would be a good fit for Hugs and Kisses.

Brad

My new custom uke is smaller than the case is designed to fit, so it moves around a bit. I still cant find a case that it fits into perfectly.

Have to measure yours accurately & compare w/published specs for cases. Sometimes its really hard w/custom ukes & sometimes you will find that one that fits w/just a bit of modification. For example, the longneck Gstring I have came to me from Nuprin in one of those pineapple shaped cases w/the palmtree embossed on the top of the lower bout. It fits pretty well & it is clear that someone took an extra strip of "fake fur" to line the lower bout portion to better fit the regular soprano shape. You want a snug fit w/as little bouncing around as possible AND want the case to absorb any such bouncing to protect the uke. At the same time, if all of the padding is compressed by too tight a fit, it kind of defeats the purpose.

My KoAloha Soprano is in an Oahu case & just barely fits lengthwise - the "spikey" headstock is just a tad longer than a "standard" headstock. I've really had a time of finding cases that fit my vintage sopranos well - they are either too deep, too long, or too wide!

The funny thing is that I did measure, and it fits just fine, aside from depth. Depth is not published for many cases...

Jorgs, I got one of those Black Bear koa concerts.

Mine fits great in a new (slightly modified) Musician's Gear Concert Ukulele Case, and an unmodified Oscar Schmidt concert case.

BTW I had to take out the neck support and cut it 1/2 inch shorter to get the uke to fit well in the Musician's Gear case. But it is a nice fit.
Before doing that the uke sat up too high to close the case. Sounds like your case.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that I did measure, and it fits just fine, aside from depth. Depth is not published for many cases...

The newer Oahu cases have a domed top & though I like that for my KoAloha Super Concert, the newer ones also dropped the "tab" on the clasp that makes for better locking. You may have to call or email he maker or seller to ask them to recommend a case and/or measure the depth of cases in stock.

You can also email Black Bear directly at: duane@blackbearukuleles.net

Last edited:
Aloha Jorgs,
When I buy uke cases...the inside dementions are just as important than the outside...I always measure or ask... I like a snug fit so the uke doesn't rattle or too small..I am sure you can return it
but you will have to eat the postage..sheesh...lesson learned my friend...Good Luck and Happy Strummings..MM Stan
I always like a snug fit.:):)

Jorgs, I got one of those Black Bear koa concerts.

...SNIP... BTW I had to take out the neck support and cut it 1/2 inch shorter to get the uke to fit well in the Musician's Gear case. But it is a nice fit.
Before doing that the uke sat up too high to close the case. Sounds like your case.

THAT modification is one several of us have had to make to Guardian brand soprano cases as well. Fairly common with cheaper cases it appears.

I've got a Fremont rectangular I bought from Elderly, and a Kala Uke Crazy black basketweave case - both are tenor size. I keep my Kala in the Fremont, and the Cordoba in the Uke Crazy case. Both fit as if the cases were made for the uke.

The Fluke is in the custom Fluke Case from Gator. I'd like to hard shell cases for the Firefly and Stella, but haven't seen any as of yet.

-Kurt

mendel, you may want to look into the Fremont tweed rectangular case. I was up In Seattle at Dusty Strings and they had the Uke Crazy case that you had and the Fremont case. I compared the two and I think the Fremont would be a good fit for Hugs and Kisses.

Brad

I'll definitely check it out! I want to protect this baby!!!

Top Bottom