Does anyone have a Mele sorano Ukelele

abeluke

Reaction score
Hello,I want to buy a soprano uke around $300. The Mele looks good but I have seen in some web places people talking very bad about them.

I had a go of one a while back. Can't remember the model number or anything but it was rather nice. Only problem I could see was the build quality was slightly sloppy.

Hello,I want to buy a soprano uke around $300. The Mele looks good but I have seen in some web places people talking very bad about them.

people who don't won one or got a used one maybe. I have owned many Meles and other than my koalohas, Meles are my favorite. I really don't think you will be disappointed if you got one. Tell Cheryl I sent ya:)

I just bought a used one on Fleamarket Music at a bargain price (wouldn't buy a new one at full price). It's a cute little thing and I can tell the body resonates nicely, but just changed strings from old, thick, factory strings to Martin Fluorocarbons and am having some buzzing problems. Gonna try the thicker Aquilas and if that won't "fix" it, I'll have to do some nut work. From the Mele reviews I've read, some are great, some aren't. I have a Mele Koa Tenor I've had for a long time, still trying to get it to sound good. Lots of consistently great solid sopranos out there for the same price, or maybe just a little more.
I've seen some decent vintage Martins "O"s go for around $350..give or take a few bucks.

Personally, I'd grab this Kelii Koa Soprano in the Marketplace before it's gone.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...oa-Soprano-With-Semi-Hard-Case...-225-shipped

Last edited:
I have one - nice uke. Cosmetically it's about 99%; there are a couple of places where the finish is not perfect, or joints show small gaps (around the heel). I see these as signs it was made by a person, not a machine.

More importantly, it's a very good neck (but very thin - like or hate), intonation is spot on, action was just right for me and needed no adjustment. And it sounds good. Definitely a player.

It's no longer my main uke because, as I've played more, I discover I prefer a narrow nut and a neck that's deeper front to back. When I bought it I thought the opposite, and for over a year the Mele was perfect for me.

If they're still as good as mine, I'd recommend one without reservation. But you should note that the neck is at one extreme - wide nut, shallow front to back. If you've played one and like it, buy it. If not, I'd say you need to try before you buy. If all you know is a Mahalo/Makala/whatever, imagine that with a neck half the depth and a 10% wider fretboard.

The mass market brands like Kala and Ohana have necks in the middle of the range, so they won't not work for anyone, thus it's a bit safer to buy one of them without trying it out.

Nothing wrong with meles...it's a good mid range ukulele...with any brand of ukes, the there are good ones, exceptional ones, and ones less than good...because ot the building variables and
materials.. try before you buy...is the best way to get a good uke....if you can.....Our marketplace or Flea Music Marketplace has some good second hand ukes at a good price and you get a
higher quailty ukes for for that price...Hope it helps..Good luck in your search..MM Stan

I have a friend who has a Mele Super Soprano who is really good. Great finish. Volume that is better than many concert ukes, including his own Mele concert.

I saw now that Mele ukes placed many new models on ebay, including a tenor Thinline, curly koa and spruce tops very beautiful.

Last edited:
Thank you to all for the answers. The problem is that I live in South America, I can't try before buy. I have a beautiful Kelii Koa concert from MGM. I have found some ukes at the flea market but I don't know if the owners can send it to me.

Thank you to all for the answers. The problem is that I live in South America, I can't try before buy. I have a beautiful Kelii Koa concert from MGM. I have found some ukes at the flea market but I don't know if the owners can send it to me.
Are you looking for a better uke than your Kelii??? if so, 300.00 might be tight...don't know if you heard of mainlands..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovc4MsISep4

I had an older Mele soprano with the Koa body-- and I can't remember what other appointments. I gave it away to my cousins in Singapore. I only remember it for having very high action which could not be adjusted down any further at the saddle. It sounded okay, and looked very nice, but the action made it annoying for me. I don't know about how their build quality is now, but if you get one that is well set up, you'll enjoy it. I love my Mele tenor which is one of my beater ukes. I bought it with a huge crack on the top that I just super glued back together, and it's awesome w D'addarios on it.

No, I am not looking for a better uke than my Kelii, I just want another uke .Mainlands looks good too.

Muy Mele!

I presently own three Mele ukes. I have a solid mahogany low g tenor, a new spruce top/mahogany low g concert and an all koa pineapple soprano. I love all three of 'em and they have been excellent ukes. The new spruce top in awesome... sounds sooooo sweet! Threw a set of low g Fremont Blacklines on it (no wound 4th) and I'm in Heaven. I have a Kamaka and a Koaloha (which I love) but my spruce top Mele sounds every bit as good as my high dollar "K,s." One other note... my Mele pineapple soprano has volume that shakes the shutters... a little powerhouse! Been very happy with all of my Mele Ukes!

Last edited:
I looked at Mele but found that the neck shape and thickness was inconsistent between several different instruments. Need to hold the instrument in your hands and try to play before you buy.

Top Bottom