How old?

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
Someone told me you can tell the differnce in age of Hormony ukes by their headstock label. The one on the right is supposed to be mid 50's. Can any of you uke experts give me any info? They are both concert ukes with binding on the body and around the sound hold with "sharkteeth" tuners.

Please help the ignorant!!!

concert.jpg

So for "definitive" answers, more photos would be in order. And... for the best shot of getting a really good answer, ask Chck "frets" Fayne at Uke YAk here:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/uke-yak/default.asp

Send as many photos from different angles & he can help you out. Vintage ukes sometimes have changed hands so many times that tuners are swapped out, various "refinish" efforts are started or abandoned, so the more info you share the better to help identify.

I think you green and yellow labels were very late 40's to 50's.... I know of one that is 1949-1950...I sure the red brick colored label between the tuners in the back that said made of mahogany is long gone...

Hmm, I've got a Harmony catalogue here from 1973 where the concert ukes have that same yellow and green sticker on, so it may even be seventies, unless they used that logo for a good long while - have no idea how long before 1973 it was in use for, will have a look round for other old catalogues that may reveal more clues!

The one on the left is possibly 60's-70s, on the right should be 50s. This site is nice but seems to have been abandoned some time back.

Top Bottom