Customer feedback question

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a uke that I am considering installing an "under saddle" pickup on. Here is a picture of the Ukulele I am considering this mod on and offering it from my inventory as an acustic/electric. 1st, would you like to see something like this with an electric option? Also, what pick up would you recommend to install under the saddle. Of course, I need to consider the pricepoint, and I would like to stay no more than $250 complete with hard case also. But at the same time, I don't want a piece of crap pick up either. I want an affordable one, but a good quality one.

What says ya'll?

1-1.jpg

How are you planning to install it? I don't see a sound hole large enough to gain access, and you need to be able to get at the inside to install the jack. If you can work through those little floral soundholes you're far more dextrous than I... :)

John

How are you planning to install it? I don't see a sound hole large enough to gain access, and you need to be able to get at the inside to install the jack. If you can work through those little floral soundholes you're far more dextrous than I... :)

John

Ya know what? I hadn't even crossed that bridge yet, but now that you mention that, that might be a killer, lol. I will have to investigate that a bit more. I am pretty good at "fishing" line as long as there is enough hole to get the jack into. I might even consider cutting an over sized hole for the jack and installing a jack plate similar to what you see on guitars. But, yeah, I will have to see what I can get for it.

Ya know what? I hadn't even crossed that bridge yet, but now that you mention that, that might be a killer, lol. I will have to investigate that a bit more. I am pretty good at "fishing" line as long as there is enough hole to get the jack into. I might even consider cutting an over sized hole for the jack and installing a jack plate similar to what you see on guitars. But, yeah, I will have to see what I can get for it.

I don't know if this will help but on Uke Minutes Joe Souza from Kanilea ukulele goes through the process of
installing a misi pickup.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/ukeunderground/videos/153/

John

What he said! The only way to get an UST in that one would probably be by choosing one that also has a side-panel preamp w/battery so that by cutting the side hole MIGHT give you enough access to fish the end-pin-jack through & equally importantly, secure the wire from the UST from flopping around & creating a buzz. Most builders would have wired one like that ahead of time before putting the back on because of that lack of access.

Even fishing a UST into a normal soundhole is challenging.

Won't be able to sell it for $250 with a MiSi

Of course, I need to consider the pricepoint, and I would like to stay no more than $250 complete with hard case also. But at the same time, I don't want a piece of crap pick up either. I want an affordable one, but a good quality one.
Since $250 is your "normal" pricepoint, I don't see how you can add a decent pickup and keep it the same.

Since $250 is your "normal" pricepoint, I don't see how you can add a decent pickup and keep it the same.

The Fishman AG-UKE 094 is a passive, but high output UST - sounds great & retails for about $70. On UU, Nuprin has them in a bunch of his ukes & they sound great. But... getting one in there will still be a problem!

Is that a chambered instrument? If not, I can't imagine how effective it would be as an instrument without a pickup. Seems like it would be a block of wood with nylon strings.

No way you're fishing electronics through those little decorative holes. Pretty ukulele, though.

I think you best bet is to pick up one of those soft/flexible piezo pickups off ebay and an end pin jack with a plate that screws into the outside. They have ones that are pretty small and are just a little round disc about the size of a nickle with screw holes. A whole set should run you around $10. Not sure how it will sound, but it's about the cheapest you can go.

I think you best bet is to pick up one of those soft/flexible piezo pickups off ebay and an end pin jack with a plate that screws into the outside. They have ones that are pretty small and are just a little round disc about the size of a nickle with screw holes. A whole set should run you around $10. Not sure how it will sound, but it's about the cheapest you can go.

The under saddle type is what I was considering. Those you just pull the saddle, drill a hole in there through to the inside body, fish the wire to a jack hole, solder a jack on, and install. Like you said, that can be done easily enough with minimal work needed inside the body. A jack mount plate will allow the jack to be installed into it, and it screwed onto the body as you mentioned so it wouldn't have to be pushed through from the inside. The problem is, I can't afford to put a high end one in and keep the price down, but if my only option is junk, then I would rather just not do it at all. Does anyone know of a decent sounding flexible Piezo strip like that?

You should try one out and see how it goes. You're not going to get the quality of a $150 - $200 pickup for a price point that will allow you to sell an uke for $250. Even companies that make mass produced guitars of any quality have trouble staying under the $250 mark when it comes to acoustic electric instruments and I'm sure when they put together a $200 acoustic electric guitar, they're not putting in a Fishman or MSI. They're dropping in the $5 variety.

Aloha Tudorp,
Might blow it out of your price range I'm afraid....I guess it wouldn't hurt to test the waters and you get the added benefit how it will sound..Good Luck, MM Stan

Last edited:
Well, by the time I do what I do to them, I am already at next to no profit margin. If I calculate my time, it is a loss already really. But, I am doing this Uke thing more to keep busy & have fun playing with ukes, than to make any money on them. If I add any type of pickup, it will definitely be a break even at best thing. I don't want to price them in a range to compete with the high end stuff with labels behind them, because I can't compete with those. Maybe someday I can, but at this point, myself and the builder are unknowns. If I can find a pick up that is reasonable sounding for under $20, that's what I am looking for. Sure, Im not gonna get the $100 and up sound, don't expect to, but in some of the acoustic/electric ukes, the electric is only the secondary option, and only to give it some volume for open mic type stuff, not for Carnegie Hall performances. Know what I mean?

I feel a little funny about advertising it as an acoustic/electric if it wasn't designed that way. I suppose other companies do it. Personally I think an acoustic/electric should have tone and volume controls and an active pickup - otherwise it's an acoustic with a pickup in it.

I love me some yook minutes, funniest thing I've ever seen.

Top Bottom