Martin Soprano Ukulele 3M, late 40's production, vintage, pristine condition,

llhjunk

Reaction score
Purchaser backed out of agreed deal! Check never sent money for the instrument, so it is back on the market.

The Owner is now accepting offers for purchase. If you are serious buying, we can provide some sound samples if requested but none of us are really UKULELE players!!

After some sixty years of being kept in a ranch house on the North Dakota prairie the owner is ready to sell this wonderful piece of history. For a complete description and lots of photos, please visit:

http://web.me.com/lloydhohn/Trish/Martin_3M_Ukulele.html

This truly is a wonderful historic piece with some vintage strings and a 1927 "how to play" booklet! You can't imagine how pristine this unit is in appearance. It was only played a few times and it shows it. Case and Ukulele deserve to be a part of someone's collection. Trish was ten years old when she received this as a gift from a family friend who decided to take up the guitar instead! Now sixty years later, she is ready to sell this unit! Entire provenience at web url!

Last edited:
It is indeed a gorgeous & well preserved 3M - can't guess what someone may be willing to pay for it, but I know its too rich for my blood!

In very nice condition. I don't know about a price in the thousands, as it says in the ad. but my guess would be in the 1000 - 1200 dollar range. Just a guess though. Vintage uke's are funny, some Martins go for way more than I would guess, some go for way under. Guess it is just who has the money and how badly they want that particular uke.....

Aloha llhjunk,
Wow it is in pristine condition...I'm afraid to ask...more like in a collectable condition... I'm sure it is way more than my guess..ho hum...if I were rich..sheesh..

Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, GOD! If He wanted to play a ukulele, this could well be His. $1200 hell, maybe even $12,000

A year ago these guys were outrageous in price, but now that nobody has any money they have all dropped to the $1700 range, at least the ones I am finding today. A great deal for someone looking for one because I have seen them go a lot higher...and they are sweet little ukes for sure. Anyway- it is beautiful. My research leads me to believe the celluloid embellishment was removed from the bottom of the body in late '46, so I would put it close to that in age.
How the heck did they keep the finish from checking? Mine is checked everywhere, and now proudly crumbling off from being played after all the years it sat. Character.
In any event- it is BRILLIANT. Such a great old Ukulele. You definitely need a sound sample on the site to sell it though- some of these old fella's go a little wonky after all these years.

Last edited:
llhjunk

Thank you for sharing. That is one beautifully preserved Martin. I would suggest wiping the smudges and dust with a soft cotton cloth and reshooting the pictures perhaps in different lighting. If I were in the market for a $2K-$3K Martin, I would be hesistant of purchasing without better images. Hard to get a sense of the surface quality due to reflections.

Finally, I would recommend reading the rules of this forum. If you were simply showing pictures, it would not be an issue. However, they are in place to protect us. Good Luck with the sale.

ShakaSign

Last edited:
Nobody has asked yet..So I will ask...How much??? several 3 years ago 3m were 700.00 then prices shot up and now they are on a decline...

interesting observation Bruddah Stan. I think you're right there...seems like we've reached a peak in selling prices and now they've eased off a bit lately...

Gryphon has one in excellent condition for $2350. Given the markup from a high-end store, TCK's estimate earlier seems to be in the right ballpark.

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/25071/25071.php

Agreed, Elderly has had theirs for quite some time, although they have recently sold older model 3ms (some people find these more desireble) they had listed for a shorter time for more money. The Music Emporium in Massachussetts has a latw 1920's - early 1930's 3M with 2 well repaired hairlines on the top for which they are asking $2,000.00. So, I would say the one listed here should sell for just under 2K (MHO).

llhjunk

Finally, I would recommend reading the rules of this forum. If you were simply showing pictures, it would not be an issue. However, they are in place to protect us. Good Luck with the sale.

ShakaSign
Shaka, thanks for bringing us all back to reality(Like a pretty face will make Men forget about other things!)

Pssssssst....shhhhhhh hey you guys cool it on the apprasials...you guys are killing me..ha ha I wanted to make an offer and you guys are inflating and hi balling the price...sheesh...now I won't
get it for 900.00.....so sad now...sheesh..

Top Bottom