I may as well... (New Uke Content inside)

Plainsong

Reaction score
I've been talking about downsizing the collection and selling off great ukes that never put a foot wrong or did anything bad to anyone, and that I very much enjoy.

Why is that? It would have be a very special uke that would make me feel like the Mainland concert should go to someone who's going to play it, that the Helsinki uke should go to someone who really loves soprano scale, that there isn't any time for the Eleuke...

Well firstly, there's the Mya-Moe concert eventually coming this winter. But that's not what I'm thinking of in this post...

Secondly, the Kanile'a is getting a misi, so that'll be handy for jamming with my husband. I'll play that over the eleuke just because .. well you know how it is, I bonded with it.

And the eventual Sailor uke, that should be fun. It'll be a nice addition to my only other soprano (after letting go of the Flea), the sk-38. It's got the extra two frets and a misi. What more do you need?

But that's not what I'm thinking of here.

*looks around..*

See, I kinda went and got a Koaloha pikake concert.

And it turns out that it's just outstanding. The action is a bit default-high at the saddle, but I don't mind that. It's easier to go lower than higher. :D It's still very playable. It's loud, clear, complex, and just sticks to me like glue. Ok, that's a bad metaphor, but I gone done went and bonded with it.

I got the pikake, because that's basically what's available in the EU, but from the first strum, no regrets here. It was meant to be, that's the one I was supposed to have.

It's kind of like when I got my horse. I dreamed that she would be white or mahogany bay or chestnut with white stockings... but I laid eyes on this thin underweight sickly bright blood bay, and we were supposed to be together. She fell in step beside me with her tail flagged, because no matter how tired she was, that's how she rolls.

And she was the most awesome horse anyone could ever have. It wasn't just because she grew to 16.1hh and never went from point A to point B without head up and tail flagged. We grew up together, she was the only friend 100% on my side, angry at what I was angry at, rebels without a clue. There's no situation where we couldn't trust each other 100%.

This uke is a bit like that, in uke form. A uke as great to be worthy to be compared with Glory? I never considered that would be possible... but I've had this uke for a little while now, and ...yeah, it's mine.

I'll have better pics once I get better lighting. The bling is in the sound and feel.

edit - bigger pics can be found on my Flickr account from clicking on any of the thumbnails in the sig.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I have many ukes, all what I would call high end, with the exception of my flea. IMO my Pikake concert is as good an all aroud ukulele as there is.

KoALoha sure makes sweet sounding ukes!? Congratulations!

(and I love the hanger - is that one of Toucanmango's?)

I love the look of the Pikake. I have the same one and it is great. KoAloha has such a distinct sound that is different from all other ukes I've had so you've gotta have at least one of them.

Awesome ukulele. It's gorgeous. Congratulations Plainsong.

Glad you've found the one. It's what we're all looking for, eh. I'm thankful I found eugenie! :love:

Is Eugenie your Mya-moe mango? Man from that first strum it was like --- OMG! I've waited a long time for this uke, and it didn't disappoint.

It was a nice bright sunny day, so the Koaloha took a stroll out onto the balcony...

Then the sk-38 said "Hey you don't have any good pics of me either!"

gee it's a pretty uke. you've chosen well!!! Eugenie is my long suffering wife :eek: , but the little mya moe mango soprano is as close as I've come to finding the perfect uke so far. Looks like you'll have many years of pleasure with that KoAloha too Plainsong...she's so lovely. Those last pics really show off the grain . Sweet. :drool:

So your name is Eugene and your wife's name is Eugenie?? Well that practically solved itself didn't it? You could get those monogrammed towels after the first date!

The Kanilea is more blingy and showy, and it sounds great of course, but maybe because I wanted one for so long, or maybe because it's really that great, the Koaloha is just mind blowing.

And I swear I can't find the join on the front. Is it one piece?? I don't want to make that claim but usually you can find the join.

Nice one! I've always thought of KoAloha concerts as the benchmark for concert sized ukuleles, so you did well there. Congrats!

So your name is Eugene and your wife's name is Eugenie?? Well that practically solved itself didn't it? You could get those monogrammed towels after the first date!

Don't forget the munchkins... Miss Eugenie and pocket eugene :p

I've heard so many rave about how great the KoAloha concerts are, I'm not surprised you're so blown away by it. AWESOME!!!!!!

Top Bottom