Zero Fret custom ukes...

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
My friend Came over with a custom Lymana worth over 2000 easy..
it was beautiful and sounded great...I noticed it had a Zero Fret on it..
just below the the nut....is it really needed... or have anyone seen one before?? by the way it had the sweetest tone..:)

In the case of a zero fret instrument the nut serves only to keep the string spacing correct while the zero fret sets the action as the strings are setting directly on it. Some builders use it although it's not widely popular. I see no real advantage other than it eliminates some of the guess work in setting up.

Aloha Stan,

They are not custom, but Flukes and Fleas have zero frets.

Aloha Chuck and DK,
Mahalo Nui for the information, and quick response...how does it make set ups easier?? and does the metal 0 fret allow more sound transmission than even a bone nut?? Thanks Again, Stan

Aloha Chuck,
Yes I noticed it is higher than the other frets....so it elliminates the buzzing from the frets if the grooves are too deep or wide?? good point on the action of the nut...As always you are the Guru
of ukes and I appriciate your help...Mahalo Nui, MM Stan

Aloha Chuck,
I just looked at the ukulele again and the O fret is about the height of the bottom of the groove of the nut??? Is that wrong or did this guy figure something new out??? Mahalo Nui, Stan

That's "about" right. In actuality, the bottom of the nut slots are a bit deeper than the top of the zero fret. This is so that there is some pressure from the string on top of the zero fret as it comes from the nut. Everything about the nut on a zero fret instrument requires the same attention that a standard nut gets; slot spacing, ramp angle, slot shape; everything but the slot depth which needs to be deeper. David Hurd (Kawika) was a proponent of zero fret ukuleles. This is not at all a new concept.

Aloha Chuck,
That makes sense that the nut is a little deeper for string pressure...as always, you are the Ukulele Guru...thanks for sharing your Knowledge and Experience.. Very Much Appriciated..
Mahalo Plenty Bruddah! Stan

I am going to adding a zero fret to my kids Rogue ukulele because the intonation is off due to the nut being back too far from the first fret. its a nice easy fix for intruments with that problem.

Top Bottom