Slotted Headstock Tuners...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Finally done prototyping. These production models have 8mm CF barrels and fit 19.5mm headstcok thickness:

v
BarrelTuners.jpg

I've always wondered what these type tuners looked like & I guess the CF is to reduce weight & still give smooth action?

Graham - the CF is a sleeved tube. These tuners are sold for slotted headstcoks so after Ken Timm's advice I decided to see if I could convert them and hey presto. They look good but I haven't remade the barrels entirely. That would be clever and I am not THAT clever!

You did a good job Pete:cool:..Was the 8mm Cf tube standard size or did you bore it out.

Are those tuners from Taisamlu? What do you think of the length of the shaft to the tuning button? From the image they look to be a bit longer than the Grovers that I've been using.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tube has a .75mm wall thickness so they need boring out - filthy job. I then drop some epxoy into the top of the barrel. They are 28mm long Allen. The g and a posts I'll sand back to 25mm for my headstocks. I actually find the Grovers far too long and always end up grinding them down...

Pete, I'm going to try this method for my 8 string slotted headstock tenor build. I bought some 4 on plate mando tuners from Amazon, and the posts measure .235" in thickness. Amazon sells these carbon fiber tubes

www.amazon.com/Flite-Carbon-Fiber-Tube-8mm/dp/B000KGEPYQ

for $3 that are 6mm ID, 8mm OD. Since 6mm = .2362", it seems they should fit over the posts nicely (OK, .0012" play). Maybe I can shrink them down tight with a heat gun? I haven't worked with CF, so I'm not sure of it's properties.
Alan
Here are the tuners:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZPA72

Last edited:
Carbon Fibre tubes aren't going to be doing any shrinking with a heat gun. You will need to use glue to fix them in place if it's an issue, but I suspect It's going to be a snug enough fit.

I've changed to nylon now which I bore out to 6mm and glue and pin with 1.5mm precision steel dowels. Strangely this nylon is 8.3mm in dameter - don't know if that is an imperial size but boring out the holes to 8.5mm works well with the clearance issues you get with fitting stuff like this. I have to say that this is the best solution I have found - tuners designed for guitars though they can be made to work will make the headstock quite heavy unless you machine huge slots which make the headstock 'saggy and old' if you get my drift...

These Der Jung tuners are made by Taiwanese factory in China. Tsaimalu carries lots of DJ's products. I believe having Tsaimalu ordering extra classical guitar's shafts can be arranged if the quantity is large enough. No matter diameter of the shaft is 8.5 or 10 mm, the headstock still has to be at least 19 mm thick or so. I've been to Tsaimalu's place several times and his service is good. One thing about DJ's ivoroid buttons is they are softer/less durable than pearloid. Even those on Sloane's share the same problem so it might be inevitable.

Chih-Wei thanks for that info. I use the smaller rollers because of scale. Ity does matter if you put 10mm rollers on because you simply have a set of tuners that look like guitar tuners! This is what I am about - making sure my ukulele look like that and not escapees from a guitar factory :) I have a small number of sets left with ebony buttons. Haven't seen these come up in a long time.

Well I don't mind being guitar look-alike, especially when my first uke order is actually a guitalele

Top Bottom