cured my baritone UAS by detuning my Makala MK-T lol

Huna

Reaction score
I had a Makala Baritone.. hardly ever played it so I sold it for a hundred bucks with the case. So lately I was thinking I needed a Baritone Ukulele again. I never played the one I had and I don't even play my Makala Tenor which has a Low G wound string alongside of the Tenor Fluorocarbon Martin Strings on it. I tend to play sopranos.

So this morning I was like... why not grab that Tenor Makala and tune it down a half step... sounded good! I tuned it down two half and it sounded good! I tuned it down 5 halfs so its just like a Baritone and it sounds good! Dang its like a Baritone... Strings are not that sloppy at all really... sounds darn good! I thought the Bari was too big anyway so now I have a mini Baritone here! Decent reach on it too you know...... This new Makala MK-T guitar I got is just like a Ukulele! just sounds deep like a guitar lol.

I bet it sounds great, my dad just tuned his mele down a few steps and it sings like a bell. I figured out a way to cure my baritone UAS too, I'm getting a baritone, hahaha

well I can't believe how good the tenor is as a baritone... thing about the baritone is the frets are too far apart! at least at one end lol

Aloha Huna,
Dropping the tuning makes the string resonate more and gives it a richer and warmer tone....also it carries the note to note better because of the resonation..gives it a smoother transistion..
Also it slow downs the tempo due to that and you get the full potential of each note... some may have a have hard time adjusting, but at regular tuning, I feel I am on speed and need
to keep up the speed so there's no dead space between notes...I guess It's personal perference, and an example to me is, I like Jake, but it's too fast and sharp for me..Just my thoughts..MM Stan

4 string guitalele

I don't know if some other strings would feel sloppy but on a Tenor, the Martin Fluorocarbons tuned up to GCEA are quite tight! so to relax them to a guitar tuning of DGBE, well I would say they are as tight as Martin Baritone strings on that Makala Baritone I sold so ... interesting thing. Actually now that I think of it, a Tenor tuned like a Guitar or Baritone Uke is basically the same as a 4 string Guitalele! same scale length of 17" right?

I don't know if some other strings would feel sloppy but on a Tenor, the Martin Fluorocarbons tuned up to GCEA are quite tight! so to relax them to a guitar tuning of DGBE, well I would say they are as tight as Martin Baritone strings on that Makala Baritone I sold so ... interesting thing. Actually now that I think of it, a Tenor tuned like a Guitar or Baritone Uke is basically the same as a 4 string Guitalele! same scale length of 17" right?

I thought the lowest string in the Aquila baritone set I had on my baritones were too floppy too. In fact, I even put a set of classical guitar strings on it, but moved them over a slot to give them more tension. I guess I like tight strings.

Top Bottom