SoCal folks - anyone else here go to Ian Whitcomb's Ukulele Sing-Along last night?

janeray1940

Reaction score
This was a really fun event that my uke friends and I practically crossed time zones during rush-hour traffic to attend. Ian and his band did a couple of sets mainly of songs from his new songbook, "Ukulele Sing-Along" and invited the audience to sing and play along. What a great idea!

I ended up buying the songbook (even though it meant breaking a self-imposed shopping ban for songbooks - I'm trying to learn to play by ear, dangit!). It's a nice little collection of mostly Tin Pan Alley tunes and comes with a CD to play along with.

I'd love to see more audience-participation uke events like this one. There were probably 40-50 people in the audience - the interest is definitely there. What seems to be lacking, sadly, are venues willing to promote things like this. Sigh.

It was at the Coffee Gallery in Altadena, which is a pretty uke-friendly place. Ukulele Bartt did a workshop there a couple months back, and Ian is a local and performs there regularly. I wish I had thought to post it here before the fact; it was not well-publicized at all.

(Note to self: remember to post a heads-up to UU when SoCal uke events are coming up!)

Would've been a fun Friday night thing to do. Instead, I just stayed in and packed a bag for my trip to heaven later today.

Top Bottom