Problem with my new Kala?

Clobbersaurus

Reaction score
I just received my Kala ASAC-C that I recently purchased, but I have a concern. The back has kind of a groove to it. It is not totally flat. Should it be like that? I'm worried that the wood warped or something. It doesn't look bad, it just has a sort of raise in the wood. Should I be worried?

But should it be totally flat?

If I take pics do you think that could help?

Only way the knowledgeable guys in UU can tell! Take good pics, send to tech support, just above luthier's corner

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the Kala Solid Acacias come an arched back, is that what you are seeing?

I'm pretty sure that the Kala Solid Acacias come an arched back, is that what you are seeing?

It's possible. If you rub your hand across the back you can feel a sort of raise. But it is so slight that I don't know if I can capture it in pics. this just goes to show how much of a noob I am even though I've been here for a year. haha

It's possible. If you rub your hand across the back you can feel a sort of raise. But it is so slight that I don't know if I can capture it in pics. this just goes to show how much of a noob I am even though I've been here for a year. haha

I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong, but it's an arched back ukulele so that sounds right. Kala lists the uke as
•2-1/4 to 2-3/4 Arched Back Body depth
so that may be what you're feeling.

I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong, but it's an arched back ukulele so that sounds right. Kala lists the uke as
•2-1/4 to 2-3/4 Arched Back Body depth
so that may be what you're feeling.

Okay, you just made me feel a whole lot better. I'm still going to take pics to get opinions, but I am feeling a bit better now about this. Thank you for posting that!

Okay, you just made me feel a whole lot better. I'm still going to take pics to get opinions, but I am feeling a bit better now about this. Thank you for posting that!
No problem, I only know that because I always look at the Kala Acacias, keep thinking about getting one... excellent choice.

Most decently made ukuleles have arched backs. The arch gives the wood somewhere to move with humidity changes, instead of cracking or splitting out a glue seam. All my tenors and soprano ukes have had arched backs. Of course the back should be convex, not concave.

Arched back Ukulele body's also, help project the sound louder and is a desirable feature many high end ukulele manufacturers use.

Here's a picture of my Kala KA-ST with arched back body and a picture of a Kala KA-TEM without the arch. Playing both one after the other, the Arch Back body ukulele is a lot louder with the same Aquila strings.

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom