Kala KA-FMS Spalted flame maple soprano!

misty

Reaction score
My husband and I went to the guitar and amp show put on by the Guitar Brothers in Brisbane yesterday. We had a lot of fun
He was looking for an acoustic bass amp, and I was drooling over ukuleles. We wandered around, listened to some performers, had a bite to eat. Then he told me that if I saw a uke I liked, he would buy it for me as a gift! Totally unexpected!

We have been traveling a lot lately and I have had my eye open for a good soprano. There were two ukes at the show that I was very attracted to: a Boulder Creek Riptide spruce and rosewood, and a Kala Spalted flame maple. I kept going back and forth. I also tried each model in mahogany (the Riptide was only available to try in mahogany in a concert size). There was such a huge difference in sound. The mahogany was so mellow, actually too mellow for me.

I tried the Riptide spruce concert too, and it was nice. But was $450 and didn't have a pickup. The mahogany one did. Without a pickup I couldn't justify another concert.

But mostly I just preferred the sound (and the amazing look) of the Kala. Plus I know Kala is a well-respected uke company, not a guitar company. And the build quality of this particular uke is stunning. And it was $300 Australian, which seemed right in line with online pricing of the model. Actually much less than typical Australian mark-up. So we bought it!

I am in love. Can't keep my hands off this uke. And when I'm not playing it, I'm staring at it, mesmerized by the lovely wood, the attention to detail, the mother-of-pearl rosette, the book-ended back with lovely "tattoo" patterns, the purfling, the maple binding, the amber tuning pegs ... You get the picture!

0282372d32664597ce59b459b5496397_view.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is really pretty uke. I especially like the design on the back. Congrats!

Fantastic. :D

Aloha Misty,
Congratulations on the new uke and you have a wonderful hubby.. the design sorta looks like a butterfly....how cool...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Yes it is just so beautiful!

I can't figure out what the pegs are made of. Kala says amber but they are almost a coral/cinnamon color. I think they are just plastic. Still pretty and unique. Also can't decide if the purfling is really inlaid or laminated on, but love it either way. I know it is not as nice as a Kamaka or other K brand, but i just love it. The sound is spectacular. Bright, full, and focused.

Hi Misty

I have a Kala Flame Maple long neck soprano, and I love mine too! It actually has a very distinctive sound, and very uke-like. The spalted grain pattern gives each one a special individuality, and the finish is beautiful. Congrats on the new uke!!
:agree:

–Lori

Congrats! Have you nicknamed it "Butterfly" yet?

Kala's are the Best value Ukulele's and should be added to the K brand list!...:D

I have a Kala KA-ST Tenor Spruce top and it looks and sounds Fantastic!

Kala's are the Best value Ukulele's and should be added to the K brand list!...:D

I have a Kala KA-ST Tenor Spruce top and it looks and sounds Fantastic!

Best Value? Maybe, but added to the "K brand list".....hmmmm, I'll leave that one alone.

Nice uke! Your husband sure made points with that buy! He is the man! Now the real question is did he get the Bass? Ha!

I have now! LOL my husband says my uke has a tramp stamp!

I was thinking that but didn't want to say it out loud...but since you went there... It's a beauty (yes, the tuner knobs are plastic, but they work well!).

Beautiful uke, misty! And what a nice surprise, as well. I have a Kala tenor uke that I just bought last week. It is really a great instrument. Hope you have a lot of fun.:D

WTG Misty!! You got a GREAT hubby there!!!! That is a really nice Kala and that design on the back is wild!!!
Congratulations!!!!

Its a babe! Congratulations!

Top Bottom