Lanikai Monkeypod vs. Zebrawood

mthurman52

Reaction score
Trying to find the differences in the characteristics of each wood. Both are made by Lanikai, both concerts, both are solid, and both are beautiful....but how do they sound?

My brother used to have a mountain dulcimer made out of zebrawood. An utterly gorgeous instrument. It sounded good to me, though I haven't listened to enough mountain dulcimers to make comparisons.

There are a few sound samples on youtube right now, thejumpingflea played a song on the monkeypod version.

I always like to hear both instruments played by the same person in the same setting when making a comparison. theguitarsyndicate on youtube has a sound clip of both. It's short, but it may help.

Not being able to try out ukes in person is painful and I think a big contributor to UAS. You just keep buying and trying until you find the right one instead of just going to the store and dropping tons of cash on that 1 out of the 100 on the wall you fall in love with. It's like buying wine from the market. You never really know what you're going to get. No matter how closely it's described, nothing substitutes for tasting it in person.

I also remember that at www.theukulelesite.com also has reviews and sound clips of both lanikai instruments, they also sell them internationally if you are looking to buy it.
I bought mine from this site, it's getting shipped to me now.

Top Bottom