£135 of birthday money and a neeeeeeed to buy another uke

deemster007

Reaction score
My math converts £135 to almost $220 USD.

Check out Elderly, both new and used ukuleles. You can sort from low cost to high cost, and your price range will be somewhere around page 5 or 6 (of course, you may have some import fees associated with ordering from the US – but its worth a look). I am not affiliated with Elderly, I just like to browse their inventory from time to time, and this reference will provide you with reasonable alternatives to the Kala. My experience with Kala is that I’d want to play the instrument before buying; some Kala’s sound great and others can be very quiet sounding. (Actually, playing everything possible is usually the best way to buy an acoustic instrument – but when your local shop only stocks a few ukes, playing a wide variety isn’t always an easy thing to do.

Anyway, at least the net can bring shops across the world to you. For example, here's one at Elderly that looks tempting (but is slightly higher than your number):

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/LANI-1.htm

Happy hunting!

I like #1. The spalted maple back/sides is really neat looking. :)

#3 would be my second choice.

Both of those have solid spruce tops, which should project very well.

#2 is a laminate. Although nice looking, it probably won't be as loud.

Of the three, I would go for the mango and spruce. I had the tenor once, and hear equally nice things about the soprano. I would also throw Anuenue into the mix. They make great ukes. Shopping from Elderly is not an option on your budget, shipping costs and import tax would take you way above £135.

If you have your heart set on the Kala sopranos I would vote for either number 1 or 3. My guess would be they sound about the same - laminate back and sides should have the finish wood not making much impact, but the solid spruce top might help the tone a bit over the all-laminate mahogany (though I know people who have those and they are NOT bad at all).

I've had a couple of Kala sopranos (including a very beautiful ka-fms), but they're just not my cup of tea...if you are going on construction alone (don't know if you've had a chance to play them to see how they feel), check out Ohana as well - they make great stuff too.

Bugger! Decided to take a punt on the Ibanez. found a retailer called Musik Productiv in Germany who it appeared had then in stock. Ordered via the website and paid via Pay Pal "Your order has been accepted blah blah blah email" and then this morning received a mail saying "sorry not in stock and it'll be 2 to 3 months"! Obviously the money have been transferred to them via pay pal. I've emailed asking for a refund and await their reply.

Anyone want to help me with a moral to this story?

Like the look of the Ibanez. That's a bit unusual for a supplier not to display what is in stock, a swell as a lot of hassle for you!

I have been happy with my Kala ukuleles, and the spalted maple, mango, and exotic mahogany are all pretty ukes ( I have a Kala Mango Tenor, and a Spalted Maple super soprano). Each one will give a different type of sound, depending on size, wood type and strings. My spalted maple long neck soprano is plucky and bright, where the Mango Tenor is mellow, and less bright. Look at the Ohanas too, I have been very impressed with their new mahogany 5 string tenor, and they have a dramatic Zebra wood line that might interest you. Their Maple one is very beautiful too.

Remember when you order a spalted type of wood (spalted mango or spalted maple), the wood grain in the catalog will be different than the actual uke you receive. Make sure you see a photo of the actual uke you are buying, because there is a lot of variation in these wood grain patterns and colors.

–Lori

Remember when you order a spalted type of wood (spalted mango or spalted maple), the wood grain in the catalog will be different than the actual uke you receive. Make sure you see a photo of the actual uke you are buying, because there is a lot of variation in these wood grain patterns and colors.

Great advice! While some retailers (like Elderly Instruments, Gryphon Stringed Instruments and Mim on eBay) post photos online of the actual ukulele for sale, most don't bother, and some forget to warn that the grain pattern on the ukulele they plan to send may vary. A reputable dealer should be willing to email you photos of the grain of the actual ukulele in stock.

As for your experience with Musik Productiv in Germany, the moral may beto contact the retailer before buying. I'd recommend avoiding retailers who advertise as in-stock items they don't have on hand, but your experience demonstrates how difficult it is to discover whether the retailer is doing that before you buy. If the source of your PayPal funds is a credit card, contact the credit card company, which may still be able to withhold payment. If you requersted a refund from the retailer (instead of PayPal) and the retailer refuses to issue a refund or dosesn't respond, you could file a claim with PayPal for a refund. Good luck!

Oooh thats nice! The retailer who have caused me the problem seemed surprised when I cancelled the order. It would appear that some would be willing to wait 2 or 3 months for a mass(ish) produced item. They assure me that the refund will appear in 1 or 2 days.

I've now got so many options I'm confused as heck! I want a pretty one to impress the guys at work (who love the Stagg strat) and my playing isnt good enough to warrant a great sounder that looks dull. Still....if I buy online from a good retailer they tend to have great return policies.

Very few places local to me in Saffron Walden in Essex to try before I buy.

Oooh thats nice! The retailer who have caused me the problem seemed surprised when I cancelled the order. It would appear that some would be willing to wait 2 or 3 months for a mass(ish) produced item. They assure me that the refund will appear in 1 or 2 days.

I've now got so many options I'm confused as heck! I want a pretty one to impress the guys at work (who love the Stagg strat) and my playing isnt good enough to warrant a great sounder that looks dull. Still....if I buy online from a good retailer they tend to have great return policies.

Very few places local to me in Saffron Walden in Essex to try before I buy.

Hello mate im from Portsmouth I am bought a tenor mainland from eagle its the best thing is ever bought. For the extra 15 quid you can't go wrong trust me.

I plumped for the Ibanez Spalted Mango from Thomann which was delivered yesterday.

Very, very, pretty an is identical to the web image. Very shiny as you'd expect from high gloss. It comes with white strings which appear to be Aquilas but feel a little too smooth however they are holding a note already without to much re-tightening (cant be aquilas then ;) ).

Finish is pretty good with a minor varnish bump on the back of the next and a roughness to the binding at the back of the cutaway.

Intonation it pretty good everywhere so far and there is no fret buzz. Nice action at just the right height for me.

Its very loud and has a very clean sound and really has a lot of body to it.

I'll post pictures later.

I plumped for the Ibanez Spalted Mango from Thomann which was delivered yesterday.

Very, very, pretty an is identical to the web image. Very shiny as you'd expect from high gloss. It comes with white strings which appear to be Aquilas but feel a little too smooth however they are holding a note already without to much re-tightening (cant be aquilas then ;) ).

Finish is pretty good with a minor varnish bump on the back of the next and a roughness to the binding at the back of the cutaway.

Intonation it pretty good everywhere so far and there is no fret buzz. Nice action at just the right height for me.

Its very loud and has a very clean sound and really has a lot of body to it.

I'll post pictures later.

Glad you got there in the end. Have fun with it!

Uh oh - I overpaid a credit card bill a month or two back an I'm £54 in credit! UAS is nudging me to a further acquisition. Maybe I'll go for a Stagg US - 60 Spruce top? Perhaps a Stagg US - FR or MN each for the kids. Any idea on the quality of these?

Top Bottom