"Big Ups" to Kala Ukulele

polynesianpop

Reaction score
Just wanted to post some props to the guys at Kala Ukulele. I recently purchased a Kala from one of their dealers. It wasn't until I got the uke home that I noticed a little bit of a blem in the finish; nothing too noticeable but enough to kind of bug me.

With this said, I contacted the shop I bought it from and the most they would do for me was to "try and buff it out." The thought of them taking a motorized, power tool to my new uke was disenchanting to say the least so naturally I declined. The blem didn't affect the ukes sound or anything -- its just I'm one of those people who gets all OCD about minor things sometimes.

I figured I would contact Kala for some input on how to address it. I filled out the contact form on their website and lo and behold, guess who replied? Mike Upton himself -- Founder and Owner of Kala Ukuleles! We exchanged emails back and forth about it and in the end he sent me a Kala T-shirt, a sticker pack and new set of Aquila strings! And no, I did not ask for this stuff -- he simply offered them as a way to make up for the situation.

kala_care-package.jpg

If I could give the guys at Kala some karma points here I would but since they aren't members of UU figure I'd spread a good word about them.

Aloha and Mahalo Kala Ukuleles!
http://www.kalaukulele.com

Last edited:
That's good customer service! And you gotta love free Aquila strings. Those strings are expensive! I actually have a much higher opinion of Kala now. Not just because of your experience, but also because I clocked a good chunk of time on a Kala mahogony concert the other day at my friend's house. And I have to say that although it isn't quite as good as a high-end uke, I have to say that I was very impressed with what I could potentially purchase for just about $100. The projection was still decent, tone was respectable, and the action was better than expected.

However, it was apparantly purchased through the Roy Sakuma studios, so some work may have been done with the setup before it made it to my friend's hands. But now, I would definitly consider purchasing Kala ukes, if I can find one that I like at the right price. I'm thinking spruce top, laminate koa sides, with a cutaway and pickup...we'll see.

Wow I knew there were other reasons that I liked Kala than the price and the sound....

Maybe there is somethign wrong with my Kala. I should fill out that form too.

No, my uke is fine. That is verry cool of them to send that care package.

(hijack)
Any one know where you can buy stickers or shirts like that, or for any other uke company?

After I got my Tenor from Kala, I sent them a stamped envelope and a letter saying how much I was enjoying it and they sent me a few stickers!!!!

I want one of those shirts!!!!! Wonder if my Uke store can order those too????

Top Bottom