How often do you Practice??

grappler

Reaction score
Ok, just want to get an idea..

My fellow UU members, How often do you practise?
Be in depth so i know where your coming from.
How many hour a day? how many times a week?
or is it when ever you have free time you would pick up the ukulele??

for me..

I work everyday from 12pm - 8pm

After work i usually play for 1 hour.. Not learning nothing new but just revising what i know...

Usually on the weekends, i try and learn new chords or maybe another section to a song..

Cheers guys

everyday, and it ranges for how long i play.

i play at school everyday, if not every other day. for like 45 mins- 1½ when schools done

really?? how long you been playing btw??
You know what my problem is freddy?
I practice right, but i feel as if im not getting better.. :(

i work 4 ten hour shifts. toward the end of the day is when i am not all that busy. i usually bring my ukulele to work with me, and during the down times ill break it out and play. my patients seem to enjoy it.

when i get home, i take the ukulele out of the case. so, since im holding her, i might as well play her. so i do. i will do this until something comes up, like food, friends call me to hang out, giant monster terrorizing the city... etc.

sometimes i fall asleep with my uke hahaha. matter of fact, i am typing this in bed on my laptop and one of my ukes is right here next to me. ok get your heads out of the gutter. im not trying to make any lanikai sopranos. im just saying that i actually practice quite a lot.

i still suck though. but im trying to change that. so far, all i have to show for it is a deformed fingernail from all the strumming i do.

mannn Nuke, I've seen the videos that you put on. By the sounds of how much you practices and play, it really paid off. But with me, I play after work, But i feel as if im not getting better, Hearing others play and they are so good makes me think; ive played for like nearly a year how come Im not getting better? I get upset at this quite often..

mannn Nuke, I've seen the videos that you put on. By the sounds of how much you practices and play, it really paid off. But with me, I play after work, But i feel as if im not getting better, Hearing others play and they are so good makes me think; ive played for like nearly a year how come Im not getting better? I get upset at this quite often..

haha thanks, but keep in mind also that i have been playing guitar on and off for about 15 years. so a lot of that has transferred over.

believe me, if i never got together with my friends to form a band, i wouldnt be nearly as determined to get better. i would still be determined... just not to the point where im sleeping with my ukes.

i still say i have a long way to go. a lot to learn. i guess what im saying is, i dont want to just sleep with my ukuleles. i want to make love to them hahaha.

*cue the music "After the Midnight Hour" by SDIB

as in dominator's siggie: Practice makes Perfect Practice

you might not realize it, but the more you play, your fingers get a muscle memory. sooner or later you'll realize that you have gotten a lot better than what you were.

im still not good. i hear a little bit of buzzing when i play because i dont press hard on the frets.

Yes Practice makes perfect. I dont know, maybe im thikning into it too much? i should really post up a video of myself playing and get some feed back off you guys? thats a start.

while im at home, im always playing. maybe 3 hours every night. but i dont know how much of it is useful :(

i feel im at a crossroads kinda, where any chord i can play, i can move quite fast around the fretboard. its just picking and soloing im quite slow and inaccurate at so thats what im working at.

and for some reason, right now, im obsessed with canon in d - the tab'd version on dominators site. its a lot of fun! if only i had 3 mates with ukes.

I play so much its not funny. I'm still in High school and i bring a Uke to school every friday and sometimes on tuesdays because the classes i have those days are cruise and i can play during class. After school i either go home at around 3 and play on and off until its time to sleep or i go to my friends house where he literallty has 6 or 7 ukuleles and we jam/lift/train etc.

Another thing is that im used to going to sleep at like 11 or 12. but since my brother and i share a room and he has to go to sleep at 8 or so to wake up early and go to work and everyone else at my house go to sleep at like 9 i have another 2 or 3 hours to play.

that 3 hours i like the best. i feel almost like im entirely alone and i can play and sing without anyone hearing me and what not. It releaves stress which i have a lot of lately. I swear i can play ukulele for hours without knowing it. i usually play until im tired and on somenights i find myself going to bed at like 2 lol. so i bring a watch now. haha

Even when im on my laptop like Nuke i have a uke right here. and while i wait for replys etc. i play. but to some it up maybe 6 or so hours a day on average. sometimes up to 8-10 like if i bring a uke to school/have a nigght session. and on other days maybe only 1 or 2 like if there is a swell or something.

im not trying to make any lanikai sopranos. im just saying that i actually practice quite a lot.
lol, some lanikai sopranos.

and for some reason, right now, im obsessed with canon in d - the tab'd version on dominators site. its a lot of fun! if only i had 3 mates with ukes.
i felt the same way too. its a good song to learn.

I play so much its not funny.
same here. i play whenever im at home if im waiting for something, like a video to load or waiting for food to be done. or even when im not waiting, i just have this urge to pick up the uke and start playing something. i even take it to work and i think that it gets irritating to some of the people cuz i just play the same things and dont sing haha.

Last edited:
I play so much its not funny. I'm still in High school and i bring a Uke to school every friday and sometimes on tuesdays because the classes i have those days are cruise and i can play during class. After school i either go home at around 3 and play on and off until its time to sleep or i go to my friends house where he literallty has 6 or 7 ukuleles and we jam/lift/train etc.

Another thing is that im used to going to sleep at like 11 or 12. but since my brother and i share a room and he has to go to sleep at 8 or so to wake up early and go to work and everyone else at my house go to sleep at like 9 i have another 2 or 3 hours to play.

that 3 hours i like the best. i feel almost like im entirely alone and i can play and sing without anyone hearing me and what not. It releaves stress which i have a lot of lately. I swear i can play ukulele for hours without knowing it. i usually play until im tired and on somenights i find myself going to bed at like 2 lol. so i bring a watch now. haha

Even when im on my laptop like Nuke i have a uke right here. and while i wait for replys etc. i play. but to some it up maybe 6 or so hours a day on average. sometimes up to 8-10 like if i bring a uke to school/have a nigght session. and on other days maybe only 1 or 2 like if there is a swell or something.

You practice heaps!!
yea i always pick up the uke when waiting for something to load on my lappy, but i dont bring it to work or anything.
I should be practicing more then!! thanks for al replys so far

well i leave my house at 7am.. dont return until about 8:30pm.. have a shower till about 9pm... go on computer for 30mins to check emails and boards

so its 9:30pm! hmm need to eat some time and then do dishes, ends up being about 10pm-10:30pm, need to play poker until 11pm... maybe uke for 2 hours, ends up being 1:00am... wake up at 6:00am and start it all over again!

I don't every really sit down for hours at a time a to practice my uke, but I play it on and off almost all day long! If I am at home then I am playin my uke. I take my uke with me alot of the time too. This doesn't really help me to get a whole lot better or learn too much though since I can't bring my ukulele youtube video tutorials everywhere with me.

The only problem with bringing your uke with you everywhere is that people automatically think they can command you to play a song for them. Sometimes its cool though.. One time, years ago, I was at Pizza Hut with my uke. A table of girls sent a note over with the waitress that said, "Can the guy with the ukulele come over and sing happy birthday?" heheh usually I am shy kind of person with situations like this, but I sang for them anyway. :D:D

Once a week usually on saturday or sunday I practice my uke for a 1-3 hour period of time though. That's when I can usually transcribe songs or memorize songs from video or audio. Other than that I wish, I wish I had more time to play!!

Thanks for that
HAha, I woulldnt have the balls to sing infront of a group of girls.
even though i cant sing..

The only problem with bringing your uke with you everywhere is that people automatically think they can command you to play a song for them. Sometimes its cool though.. One time, years ago, I was at Pizza Hut with my uke. A table of girls sent a note over with the waitress that said, "Can the guy with the ukulele come over and sing happy birthday?" heheh usually I am shy kind of person with situations like this, but I sang for them anyway. :D:D

awe man. i am sooooo taking my ukulele with me everywhere from now on. i would have totally taken advantage of that situation. hahaha.

Practice?

I try and play at least an hour each day. I've found it more useful to practice a little each day than one all-day stint per week, etc.

I'm also a high school teacher and keep a tenor Fluke in my classroom. This way I can play during passing periods, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, singing for those girls was a trip! haha :D Another thing that is awesome about bringing your uke with you everywhere is that its an instant conversations starter. Girls seem to like it when I sing and play for them hehe. Plus you can meet other musicians too and have an impromptu jam session.

Top Bottom