PDA

View Full Version : How often do you Practice??

grappler
02-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Ok, just want to get an idea..

My fellow UU members, How often do you practise?
Be in depth so i know where your coming from.
How many hour a day? how many times a week?
or is it when ever you have free time you would pick up the ukulele??

for me..

I work everyday from 12pm - 8pm

After work i usually play for 1 hour.. Not learning nothing new but just revising what i know...

Usually on the weekends, i try and learn new chords or maybe another section to a song..

Cheers guys

Fred Miu
02-02-2008, 04:43 AM
everyday, and it ranges for how long i play.

i play at school everyday, if not every other day. for like 45 mins- 1 when schools done

grappler
02-02-2008, 04:48 AM
really?? how long you been playing btw??
You know what my problem is freddy?
I practice right, but i feel as if im not getting better.. :(

NukeDOC
02-02-2008, 04:51 AM
i work 4 ten hour shifts. toward the end of the day is when i am not all that busy. i usually bring my ukulele to work with me, and during the down times ill break it out and play. my patients seem to enjoy it.

when i get home, i take the ukulele out of the case. so, since im holding her, i might as well play her. so i do. i will do this until something comes up, like food, friends call me to hang out, giant monster terrorizing the city... etc.

sometimes i fall asleep with my uke hahaha. matter of fact, i am typing this in bed on my laptop and one of my ukes is right here next to me. ok get your heads out of the gutter. im not trying to make any lanikai sopranos. im just saying that i actually practice quite a lot.

i still suck though. but im trying to change that. so far, all i have to show for it is a deformed fingernail from all the strumming i do.

grappler
02-02-2008, 04:55 AM
mannn Nuke, I've seen the videos that you put on. By the sounds of how much you practices and play, it really paid off. But with me, I play after work, But i feel as if im not getting better, Hearing others play and they are so good makes me think; ive played for like nearly a year how come Im not getting better? I get upset at this quite often..

NukeDOC
02-02-2008, 05:01 AM
mannn Nuke, I've seen the videos that you put on. By the sounds of how much you practices and play, it really paid off. But with me, I play after work, But i feel as if im not getting better, Hearing others play and they are so good makes me think; ive played for like nearly a year how come Im not getting better? I get upset at this quite often..

haha thanks, but keep in mind also that i have been playing guitar on and off for about 15 years. so a lot of that has transferred over.

believe me, if i never got together with my friends to form a band, i wouldnt be nearly as determined to get better. i would still be determined... just not to the point where im sleeping with my ukes.

i still say i have a long way to go. a lot to learn. i guess what im saying is, i dont want to just sleep with my ukuleles. i want to make love to them hahaha.

*cue the music "After the Midnight Hour" by SDIB

Fred Miu
02-02-2008, 05:02 AM

as in dominator's siggie: Practice makes Perfect Practice

you might not realize it, but the more you play, your fingers get a muscle memory. sooner or later you'll realize that you have gotten a lot better than what you were.

im still not good. i hear a little bit of buzzing when i play because i dont press hard on the frets.

grappler
02-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Yes Practice makes perfect. I dont know, maybe im thikning into it too much? i should really post up a video of myself playing and get some feed back off you guys? thats a start.

Fred Miu
02-02-2008, 05:12 AM
do it. thats the best way to tell. especially from us helping you with feedback

deadeye
02-02-2008, 08:29 AM
while im at home, im always playing. maybe 3 hours every night. but i dont know how much of it is useful :(

i feel im at a crossroads kinda, where any chord i can play, i can move quite fast around the fretboard. its just picking and soloing im quite slow and inaccurate at so thats what im working at.

and for some reason, right now, im obsessed with canon in d - the tab'd version on dominators site. its a lot of fun! if only i had 3 mates with ukes.

Landon
02-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I play so much its not funny. I'm still in High school and i bring a Uke to school every friday and sometimes on tuesdays because the classes i have those days are cruise and i can play during class. After school i either go home at around 3 and play on and off until its time to sleep or i go to my friends house where he literallty has 6 or 7 ukuleles and we jam/lift/train etc.

Another thing is that im used to going to sleep at like 11 or 12. but since my brother and i share a room and he has to go to sleep at 8 or so to wake up early and go to work and everyone else at my house go to sleep at like 9 i have another 2 or 3 hours to play.

that 3 hours i like the best. i feel almost like im entirely alone and i can play and sing without anyone hearing me and what not. It releaves stress which i have a lot of lately. I swear i can play ukulele for hours without knowing it. i usually play until im tired and on somenights i find myself going to bed at like 2 lol. so i bring a watch now. haha

Even when im on my laptop like Nuke i have a uke right here. and while i wait for replys etc. i play. but to some it up maybe 6 or so hours a day on average. sometimes up to 8-10 like if i bring a uke to school/have a nigght session. and on other days maybe only 1 or 2 like if there is a swell or something.

tripl3thr33
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
im not trying to make any lanikai sopranos. im just saying that i actually practice quite a lot.

lol, some lanikai sopranos.

and for some reason, right now, im obsessed with canon in d - the tab'd version on dominators site. its a lot of fun! if only i had 3 mates with ukes.
i felt the same way too. its a good song to learn.

I play so much its not funny.
same here. i play whenever im at home if im waiting for something, like a video to load or waiting for food to be done. or even when im not waiting, i just have this urge to pick up the uke and start playing something. i even take it to work and i think that it gets irritating to some of the people cuz i just play the same things and dont sing haha.

grappler
02-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I play so much its not funny. I'm still in High school and i bring a Uke to school every friday and sometimes on tuesdays because the classes i have those days are cruise and i can play during class. After school i either go home at around 3 and play on and off until its time to sleep or i go to my friends house where he literallty has 6 or 7 ukuleles and we jam/lift/train etc.

Another thing is that im used to going to sleep at like 11 or 12. but since my brother and i share a room and he has to go to sleep at 8 or so to wake up early and go to work and everyone else at my house go to sleep at like 9 i have another 2 or 3 hours to play.

that 3 hours i like the best. i feel almost like im entirely alone and i can play and sing without anyone hearing me and what not. It releaves stress which i have a lot of lately. I swear i can play ukulele for hours without knowing it. i usually play until im tired and on somenights i find myself going to bed at like 2 lol. so i bring a watch now. haha

Even when im on my laptop like Nuke i have a uke right here. and while i wait for replys etc. i play. but to some it up maybe 6 or so hours a day on average. sometimes up to 8-10 like if i bring a uke to school/have a nigght session. and on other days maybe only 1 or 2 like if there is a swell or something.

You practice heaps!!
yea i always pick up the uke when waiting for something to load on my lappy, but i dont bring it to work or anything.
I should be practicing more then!! thanks for al replys so far

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-02-2008, 10:57 PM
well i leave my house at 7am.. dont return until about 8:30pm.. have a shower till about 9pm... go on computer for 30mins to check emails and boards

so its 9:30pm! hmm need to eat some time and then do dishes, ends up being about 10pm-10:30pm, need to play poker until 11pm... maybe uke for 2 hours, ends up being 1:00am... wake up at 6:00am and start it all over again!

davoomac
02-03-2008, 06:20 AM
I don't every really sit down for hours at a time a to practice my uke, but I play it on and off almost all day long! If I am at home then I am playin my uke. I take my uke with me alot of the time too. This doesn't really help me to get a whole lot better or learn too much though since I can't bring my ukulele youtube video tutorials everywhere with me.

The only problem with bringing your uke with you everywhere is that people automatically think they can command you to play a song for them. Sometimes its cool though.. One time, years ago, I was at Pizza Hut with my uke. A table of girls sent a note over with the waitress that said, "Can the guy with the ukulele come over and sing happy birthday?" heheh usually I am shy kind of person with situations like this, but I sang for them anyway. :D:D

Once a week usually on saturday or sunday I practice my uke for a 1-3 hour period of time though. That's when I can usually transcribe songs or memorize songs from video or audio. Other than that I wish, I wish I had more time to play!!

grappler
02-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for that
HAha, I woulldnt have the balls to sing infront of a group of girls.
even though i cant sing..

NukeDOC
02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
The only problem with bringing your uke with you everywhere is that people automatically think they can command you to play a song for them. Sometimes its cool though.. One time, years ago, I was at Pizza Hut with my uke. A table of girls sent a note over with the waitress that said, "Can the guy with the ukulele come over and sing happy birthday?" heheh usually I am shy kind of person with situations like this, but I sang for them anyway. :D:D

awe man. i am sooooo taking my ukulele with me everywhere from now on. i would have totally taken advantage of that situation. hahaha.

Craig
02-03-2008, 01:16 PM
I try and play at least an hour each day. I've found it more useful to practice a little each day than one all-day stint per week, etc.

I'm also a high school teacher and keep a tenor Fluke in my classroom. This way I can play during passing periods, etc.

davoomac
02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, singing for those girls was a trip! haha :D Another thing that is awesome about bringing your uke with you everywhere is that its an instant conversations starter. Girls seem to like it when I sing and play for them hehe. Plus you can meet other musicians too and have an impromptu jam session.

Weezy
02-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Usually I practice whenever I'm not in class on weekdays.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-03-2008, 06:40 PM
i dont take my uke anywhere because even though its only worth $100, i would get rolled for it haha! :D :D

grappler
02-04-2008, 03:17 AM
for some reason i feel weird bringing my uke everywhere.. :confused:

rklicsu
02-05-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm one of those whenever I have free time I pick up the ukulele guys. On average I will play 5-6 times a week at least once a day including at work, lunch, etc.

Aldrine Guerrero
02-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Back in the day when i just started; I used to lock myself up in my room and put on some CD's with ukulele in it. I'd tune my uke to the CD and play the whole record all the way through. That's how I developed my sense of phrasing. I would copy the same phrase that was used on the CD. I'd pay super close attention to how they attack the note and how long the hold it for. I'd try to imitate the player.

I'd do this from when I get home from school till dinner time hahaha. Which is about 4-5 hours? Yup. That was my everyday routine. I was seriously OBSESSED with the instrument.

Nowadays, I just practice maybe an hour a day? When I have time. I try to always have an ukulele with me so that I can play whenever I get the feeling or whenever I'm hit with inspiration.

cs1x
02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Back in the day when i just started; I used to lock myself up in my room and put on some CD's with ukulele in it. I'd tune my uke to the CD and play the whole record all the way through. That's how I developed my sense of phrasing. I would copy the same phrase that was used on the CD. I'd pay super close attention to how they attack the note and how long the hold it for. I'd try to imitate the player.

I'd do this from when I get home from school till dinner time hahaha. Which is about 4-5 hours? Yup. That was my everyday routine. I was seriously OBSESSED with the instrument.

Nowadays, I just practice maybe an hour a day? When I have time. I try to always have an ukulele with me so that I can play whenever I get the feeling or whenever I'm hit with inspiration.

i would so do that if I had some extra time. Just curious, how was it like learning the ukulele? Did you take classes or did you learn through friends? I'm very inspired to practice more when I watch vids of great uke players. Hopefully one day.

tori8984
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I usually play everyday. Sometimes in the morning before I go to work, but sometimes I lose track of time and risk being late. I always play when I get home from work for about an hour, sometimes two. Once in a while I have commitments and dont get to touch the uke for a day or two. When that happens sometimes that thing that I had been practising and not getting right suddenly comes out just fine. Im in my forties so it takes me longer to get the fingers to do what I want. I think variety is good, play something different for a few days and then go back to it later.

Keonikapila
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm one of those people that brings their uke EVERYWHERE, so that I have it when I "need" it...haha. I bring it to work and play for a half-hour before I clock in (and before anyone else shows up), I play at lunch (not loudly), I also play after work (I catch the last boat home from Aloha Tower to Campbell Industrial, that give me between an hour to an hour-and-a-half where I can just play without bothering anyone). I play more on some weekends than others...depends on what I've got going on. I've also got "beach ukes" to play when I go fishing. I think the only place that I don't bring my uke is diving...haha...well...sometimes the beach uke stays in the car (depending on where we're diving)

In all, I wouldn't be surprised if I put in 15 hours or more a week...now how much if that could be considered "quality practice time"...well, that's a different story...haha

UkeBoy916
02-05-2008, 06:07 PM
everyday, and it ranges for how long i play.

i play at school everyday, if not every other day. for like 45 mins- 1 when schools done

co-sign bro

UKESTAR
02-05-2008, 06:14 PM
About an hour each day lately...depends if I am focused on perfecting a part of a song. I have actually gotten out of bed to practice for 5 minutes and remind myself that "yes" I can actually play "that" part fairly well....and no I was not imagining it.....haha.

tsudawuda
02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
when schools pau and i dont have practice and i dont have surf plans, i go to my music room, which is actually just half of my bedroom. i contains my uke somewhere there. just play till im hungry.

NukeDOC
02-05-2008, 07:18 PM
well i guess it does PAY to bring your stuff with you wherever you go. one of my patients remembered me playing and asked if i play guitar too. when i said yes, she asked if i was interested in giving beginner guitar lessons to kids. awesome. i love to teach.

Misguided Musician
02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
i believe anything you bring with you constantly, becomes part of you in a way and you get to know how to use it more. This is how I became better with all my instruments. This works with instruments as well as other objects. For instance, your wallet or your cell phone. When you leave it, doesn't it always feel like your missing something? I started carrying a capo around with me and I have never left it at home since.

tsudawuda
02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I feel you. I bring my uke to school everyday (schools boring) and today was the first in like a year. I felt naked and somewhat insecure. I guess because when I get bored or shot down by girls, my uke always cheers me up. :]
without it I'm just the "guy over there looking like a loner"

davoomac
02-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Yeah, whenever I go anywhere without my uke I feel the same as if I had left my wallet at home.

Ikaru
02-06-2008, 02:51 AM
I think I play avg 2h/day. I play since one year now so that means I played (365*2/24=) 30 days without a break :D. holy cow thats alot of time. well before I wasted my time playing online games... the ukulele replaced that ^^. I'm clean now for 1 year yea. replacing a drug with another drug ... hmm.

@grappler:
I noticed that you are unhappy with your progress. I think your just about process to a new level and at that point it always seems like not moving abit. Once you overcome this phase you will pick up new stuff very fast again. maybe you will need a new motivator for phase. Like a new Uke or new Tabs or something.

Regards Ikaru

koa
02-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Being semi-retired there is usually time to play everyday. If time is limited only for about 1/2hr. On the short days it's usually just scales and progressions plus maybe working on one song. Occasionally take a day off due to other obligations, injury or stuck in a uke rut. Long days playing can exceed couple hours. No real talent, slow learner. Time really zips by when working on a new piece. Probably need more structure in my playing time to improve my technique more rapidly. But don't want to "burn-out" with too much or too often a structured session. I would like to continue enjoying playing the 'ukulele until the day I drop over dead.

grappler
02-08-2008, 03:29 AM
I think I play avg 2h/day. I play since one year now so that means I played (365*2/24=) 30 days without a break :D. holy cow thats alot of time. well before I wasted my time playing online games... the ukulele replaced that ^^. I'm clean now for 1 year yea. replacing a drug with another drug ... hmm.

@grappler:
I noticed that you are unhappy with your progress. I think your just about process to a new level and at that point it always seems like not moving abit. Once you overcome this phase you will pick up new stuff very fast again. maybe you will need a new motivator for phase. Like a new Uke or new Tabs or something.

Regards Ikaru

thats exaclty right dude.. I appreciate your comment, i do need another ukulele. HENCE Im getting one off mike on his ebay store!! ITS THE HONU SOILD KOA BIG ISLAND TENOR@ im e4xcitedxdd

nikolo727
02-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I try too whenever I can.

sometimes i go a week without playing.

I stop playing off and on because I dont have anything new to learn, but then I just practice the songs that I already know. Now that This website is here, I found the man who has all the tabs I will ever need!!!(you know who you are!!) lol

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-09-2008, 06:47 PM
i been practising a lot lately... no woman no cry at the moment... and dragon :)

drifterx
02-11-2008, 06:18 AM
i try to prictice any time i get... maybe 1 or 2 hours a day... im just playing anything i could.. and trying to sing at the same time... still new to the uke scene.. but what people are saying is that im doing realy well for how short ive been playing... and have my uke pretty much every where i go pays off..

albertmunoz
02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
i usually do about 1/2 to 1 hour a day... most of the time just repeating stuff that I know, making up picking patterns and things like that... I still try to learn one new song every week...

grappler
02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
i havent been practicing at all. DAM

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
i plan to practise hard out once i get my p's and leave school, because i just have a tone of school things to do... once im done, drive to the city with my laptop and find a nice place to just practise for hours

pakiboy949
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
i practice every day actually. When I'm home on the computer, I'll grab the uke and just start playing, whether random songs, or random chords. Even just muting the strings and then practicing strumming patterns and speed.

grappler
02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
im pathetic at strumming.. not proud of it at all

Fred Miu
02-15-2008, 02:58 AM
im pathetic at strumming.. not proud of it at all

it just takes time. dont try to rush it at all.

gabzuke
07-12-2009, 07:38 PM
i play atleast two hours a day everyday. i bring my cheap mahalo to school and i play through classes (until i get told off) and through reccesses and lunches, bus to and from and train to and from, then probably more when i get home and before i sleep. oh yeah and when i wake up LOL.

does it sound like atleast 2 hours? sounds like more hahah

buddhuu
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't really practice uke.

I have to work hard at practicing mandolin and fiddle, which I do every day. That's because I'm cr@p, and if I don't work at it then I get worse.

I play uke as a chill out. It's a nice, relatively easy, contrast to those other two instruments of torture. I have no aspirations to become a great uke player. I'm happy to keep it simple and enjoy it.

So, I play ukulele every day, but I rarely stretch myself and do anything that I would really call practice.

casetone2514
07-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Barely a day has gone by since I bought my first ukulele that I haven't played it. It is so portable that even if I go away for a day or two, I take it with me.

Chrisuzwhite
07-12-2009, 11:10 PM
4 hours a day between all my busking and actual practicing.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-13-2009, 04:40 AM
i plan to practise hard out once i get my p's and leave school, because i just have a tone of school things to do... once im done, drive to the city with my laptop and find a nice place to just practise for hours

wow... how that didnt happen.

Bratset
07-13-2009, 04:40 AM
I practice between 1-5 hours every day

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-13-2009, 04:43 AM
1-5hrs?!! omg, how do u have the time..

Bratset
07-13-2009, 04:48 AM
1-5hrs?!! omg, how do u have the time..

I play whenever I have time, when I watch TV, when I surf the web.. all the time.
I get home from work/school around 15:15 then I shower and play an hour before dinner etc :)
There is always time :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-13-2009, 05:00 AM
true, but i always like to tyhink im busyt. im gonig bed, night.

Bratset
07-13-2009, 05:02 AM
true, but i always like to tyhink im busyt. im gonig bed, night.

Hehe ;)
Night

vahn
07-13-2009, 05:05 AM
I practice/play a LOT of ukulele. I would say I probably spend 3 solid hours trying to learn new stuff every day (theres still so many awesome songs to learn) and between 4 and 10 ADDITIONAL hours playing stuff I already know, or jamming. I have a lot more time than most because I got laid off 9 months ago from my FT job and now I'm a stay at home dad, I do have a PT nights job but for the most part I just hang out with the kids and play uke. I have probably played 50+ hours in the past week (playing uke is like my FT job) I have gotten signifigantly better too, the practice really shows.

BrotherUke
07-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Gee... it's hard to track. I just pick it up all the time. I work at home and my office is also my music room (for some reason my productivity isn't what it used to be :rolleyes:). I guess if I totaled it up it would be 2 to 3 hours per day.

mailman
07-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Man, I don't know where you folks find all this time for playing ukulele! I have more time that I could use, instead of watching TV, for example....but, man! 4, 5, 6 hours a day?

The sad, sad truth is....I don't play nearly as much as I should. What I end up doing is what I'm doing now....checking out the UU forums and eBay (for ukes). My time here is certainly not wasted, but I really need to pick up the uke and play more. I think I'd do better if I were to find someone else to play uke with.

schuermurrman
07-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Practice...I pretty much practice like crazy when I have a project that I am working for. And my whole family is into music so I have to bring it when I get together for a jam time. I say just get involved with as much crazy musicians as possible and you can't help but practice....sucks ya in man!

:nana::nana: <-- just love this Guy!!

Pueo
07-13-2009, 08:30 AM
I will practice something every day, even if I only have 5-10 minutes. I generally play about 30 minutes a day. I bring my ukulele with me when I go places, and my wife no longer thinks this is odd, which is a relief. A long time ago, when I only played guitar, I used to see people in airports and/or hotels with their guitars and I always thought about all the time spent waiting around when you travel and how I should have brought my guitar with me. I made a mental note that I wanted to be one of those people, someone who HAD to have their guitar with them when they traveled, and I thought about how much better I would play if that were the case. Fast forward to present day, and now I have to have my ukulele with me whenever I go anywhere. My repertoire still needs a lot of work, but now there are a couple songs I can play without having the music in front of me. That has been the biggest hurdle to extended practice sessions so far, is having the music of what I want to practice with me when I have time to practice! I especially love Hawaiian songs, and I know how to play a lot of them, but memorizing the words is difficult. I want to sing and play them correctly so I try not to practice those unless I have the lyrics with me.

Pippin
07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't practice... I just play.

Uncle-Taco
07-13-2009, 01:37 PM

+1.
Practicing and playing are two different things for the most part, and I took up ukulele so I could enjoy playing instead of grinding away at practice. I could really give a squirt less whether I get any better at uke; I have a good time.

That said, I play a bit every day.

uber_goober
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I was once given a piece of advice that even though you probably can't practice/play everyday, you should always try and do one thing that relates back to your music each day. For example:

- Play your instrument (obvious)
- Play a different instrument - you might be able to transfer some of the approach to your main instrument
- Listen to some new music and see what you can learn from it...maybe you'll find a new style to try, or a rhythm that moves you
- Promote your music
- Book a gig
- Network with other musicians
- Go see some live music
- At the very least, listen to the world around you. There's always something to learn, and most of the time you can relate it back to music. You don't need your instrument to practice.

Okay, enough "zen and the art of ukulele".

Have fun!

-John

Waterguy
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
What a topic, seems almost mandatory to reply:) Day to day, I work on my playing about 45 minutes. It can go over or under but that seems to be the average.

Exeptions

I go to a uke club when I can. Maby 2 to 3 times a month. Thats a 2 hour practice.

Every once in a long while, I leave the uke in it's case for the day. That seems to happen about every other month. (After borrowing a Flea for a couple of weeks and leaving it out, those days may disapear. Staring a uke in the face can do wonders for your practice frequency. My beloved Kanile'a lives in a case.)

Funny thing is, sometimes I come home from a bad day at work and I tell my self that "I am in no mood to practice". Those days often end up being some of my best practice sessions. The Uke may well be one of the all time best stress busting tools.

Thumper
07-13-2009, 03:17 PM
The Uke may well be one of the all time best stress busting tools.

Amen to that. I may not practice every day per se, but I definitely PLAY my uke every day.

thejumpingflea
07-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I practice at *least* 30 minutes to an hour a day.

I play anywhere from 2 - 4 hours a day though.

JT_Ukes
07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Amen to that. I may not practice every day per se, but I definitely PLAY my uke every day.

Love those Ukes there in your sig!!!

I play every day... no drills or such.. just play

jkevinwolfe
07-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Les Paul has never practiced. That's good enough for me.

But then, if Les Paul played uke and sounded as lousy as I do, he would start practicing.

I'm even bad about just playing. I force myself to run through the songs I wrote when I get a chance so I can at least get through them. A few that I have played 137 times I have almost memorized to the point that I can take my eyes of the sheet music for a few seconds.

hawaiianmusiclover06
07-14-2009, 12:27 AM
I usually practice everyday for about 1-2 hours.

gabzuke
07-14-2009, 12:31 AM

that mightve change my mind hahah

Daionsavage
07-14-2009, 01:58 AM
I usually pick it up a few times every day and noodle around on it. I like to improvise in my solitude and sometimes it pays off when I stumble on something useful. I guess I play about 45 minutes a day, but it happens that I sit down for 2hours in a row.

There's something I find important to mention: All my ukulele playing is done because I feel like doing it, I want to do it. I never sat down with the sole intention of "getting better" at playing the ukulele (as you can tell by looking at my youtube channel :) ). I play bass in two bands, so bass is what I practice in order to keep up my chops and groove. I took piano lessons for a couple of years too: not a week passed without forcing myself to play a new piece of music I didn't choose. That nearly killed my interest in music. Playing the ukulele is fun. I've been playing it almost every day for a year just because there's no strings attached (well, there is, but you know what I'm saying...).

Now, I'm not saying that practice is bad. It is necessary to play your instrument in order to get better. But there's no gain in exhausting yourself to the point were you find it boring to play.

kailua
07-14-2009, 03:17 AM
After reading this thread, I obviously don't practice/play enough. I suck!!! :mad:

AxxionJackson
07-14-2009, 03:31 AM
around 6 hours. 3 for uke, 3 for guitar.

Raygf
07-14-2009, 03:40 AM
I don't spend nearly as much time playing/practicing as I spend on the web or even on this site most days. I decided to work on 1 to 2 hours of playing a day at least 5 days a week during the summer and have been keeping to that. That includes working on new pieces and playing my favorites. I need a reason to practice, like a performance, to really keep me at it. I don't find routine practice regiments appealing at all. They are essential at the beginning to get the fingers working and still help today if I'm working on something advanced. I'm currently working on Tarantella Italiana in John King's Classical Ukulele book. It's something I can't just sit down and read through.
Thanks for starting this post. Good for all of us to at least talk about/read about practicing.

Regards,
Ray

wfwhitson
07-14-2009, 05:13 AM
After reading this thread, I obviously don't practice/play enough. I suck!!! :mad:

I'm in the same boat, if I spent as much time with my uke as I do surfing on the web I would be able to play a song by now.

But than again, I like the noise I make and that is all that counts to me.

kiduke310
07-14-2009, 06:36 AM
i practice for about 2 hours a day, in between everything i do. i carry my uke around everywhere, so whenever there's a free moment i just pull it out and play.

07-14-2009, 06:51 AM
i practice as much as my wife lets me.

skippy
07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
i practice as much as my wife lets me.

Here, here! I get home from work around 5-ish and immediatly pick up the uke and start playing around, usually working on some tab I found while at work, until I get tired of it. Then I'll either play a few songs I know, or just make up my own for a while. This goes on until I annoy my wife and/or my 4year old daughter; then I'll usually take it to another room or play quieter. It's not uncommon for me to play for 4-5 hours especially if I'm working on a song I really want to learn.

Boozelele
07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
As AdelleTheGreat once said..."Practice is for wimps"......:D

cocohonk
07-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Hm. I can see why I'm still not a good uker after 1.5 year. I usually try and play for a little bit every other day or so, but I don't think I've ever officially practiced before. I do hope one day I'll be an excellent player, but for now, I'm quite content with just having fun on it and not worrying about how it sounds (too much). :D But, curses, I still can't quite chunk properly after all this time.

Though every other week or so, I dive into one of Aldrine's video lessons to learn a song or a technique or something. There are so many, I wonder when I'd actually get through all of them?

Spooner
07-19-2009, 05:25 PM
The easier question for me is...when do I put the uke down?
The answer is now. :D

I am always practicing/playing...even if the uke is not in my hands.

jdbuddha
08-13-2009, 08:45 PM
aloha U'uers, i dont know if theres an existing thread on this or not, but if there is, its prolly hidden deep within the forum anyway... I just wanna know how much or how often each of you practice on the uke??? I think if i read on how much other people are practicing, itll probably serve as a motivation not only for me but for others to keep playing, maybe ?!?
personally i play everyday, for at least an hour .. might skip some days if the work day is too long, but yep thats average :shaka:

gabzuke
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
yeah theres a thread about this already, but idno where it is hahah
well i dont really practise but merely play :D hahaha
i pkay like evryday for more than 2 hours h

ukulele2544
08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
I practice everyday

MisoHappy
08-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Everyday, but no set amount of time

Sometimes I practice for just 10 minutes, sometimes 4 or 5 hours, depending on how enthusiastic I happen to be that day. For example, yesterday I finished up Dragon, which took an hour. Today I had nothing to do, so I went on perfecting it for several hours

experimentjon
08-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Practice? Hah...that's like 0 minutes a day. I stopped band after high school because I was far too lazy for formal practicing. Practicing involves metrenomes. Yuck. :P And that is why I have not gotten any better at ukulele in a long time. XD

But I might play anywhere from 10 min to a few hours a day. Depends on how much time I have. And after school starts, I'd be lucky to get a few hours in a whole week.

buddhuu
08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I practice a lot on mandolin and fiddle, but on uke I only practice to learn new songs. Once I have the song down I just play. I play uke every day.

For me uke is a relief from instruments I find harder. It is a lovely chill-out instrument.

mrUKETOBER
08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
i practice like 4 hours everyday

hawaiianmusiclover06
08-14-2009, 12:46 AM
I practice everyday... Practice makes perfect. I have no set limit of how many hours I practice.

ichadwick
08-14-2009, 01:09 AM
I don't know what you mean by "PrActIcE!?!?" but a similar word in English, "practice," means "repeated performance or systematic exercise for the purpose of acquiring skill or proficiency." I practice - i.e. play some of my favourite songs - daily, and have a song book for that specific purpose. I try to get in a minimum practice of an hour a day.

However, I also noodle quite a bit, exploring chord patterns and combinations, finger picking styles, tonal effects, etc. That isn't "practice" as per the formal definition, but it is still skills-building. Sometimes I also play along with the radio (often blues, 60s' or 70s' music).

ukulelearp
08-14-2009, 02:04 AM
I don't practice in the sense that I routinely play scales and do exercises, I mostly just play something every day, trying to look for something at the top of my skill level so I can keep improving.

UkuCouS
08-14-2009, 02:05 AM
I pratcice everyday, for 1 or 2 hours alone + jaming with friends

ukeshale
08-14-2009, 02:07 AM
C'mon, lets try not to scare off beginners with grammar bashing.

Personally I play a few hours a day but that's only because my job allows me the freedom to do so. I don't think you ever stop learning when it comes to music. Just keep doing what you're doing and remember that it's a lifelong thing.

I had a dig around and found some useful threads which might help.

How do you stay motivated? (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17020&highlight=play)

Songs for new ukers (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16613&highlight=play)

What do you do when you've hit a wall? (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4&order=desc&page=3)

and finally here's the original thread

How often do you practise? (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474)

Hope this helps. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need anything else.

ukuleG
08-14-2009, 02:18 AM
everyday for 25 hours.

uk_e_punk
08-14-2009, 02:23 AM
I play every single day. Got to be on the ball as theres nothing worse than playing a gig or an open mic night and feeling rusty, It creeps in to your mind and makes you even worse!