FS: Mainland Solid Mango Concert w/ Tweed Hard Case

Ahaglund

Reaction score
FS: Mainland Solid Mango Concert w/ Tweed Hard case *PRICE DROP*

Mainland Solid Mango Concert Ukulele and Tweed Hard case for sale. This uke is less than a year old, purchased new by me 10/2010 (built 5/2010 according to the label). The uke is in excellent condition, as it was only used a handful of times. As you can see in the pictures I had this built with the Amber/silver friction tuners which I felt gave this uke a more traditional look and feel. The sale includes the pictured hard case (an $89 value).

Price is $225 which includes shipping to the CONUS. This will save you over $125 and Mainland is currently out of the Mango Concert model.

Selling this to finance a K brand concert with pickup.

SOLD 5/31 3:00PM

Attachments

• MLconcertUke1.jpg
    MLconcertUke1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 155
  • MLconcertUke4.jpg
    MLconcertUke4.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 123
  • MLconcertUke2.jpg
    MLconcertUke2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 140
  • MLconcertUke3.jpg
    MLconcertUke3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 111
  • MLconcertUke5.jpg
    MLconcertUke5.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Mainland Solid Mango Concert Ukulele and Tweed Hard case for sale. This uke is less than a year old, purchased new by me 10/2010 (built 5/2010 according to the label). The uke is in excellent condition, as it was only used a handful of times. As you can see in the pictures I had this built with the Amber/silver friction tuners which I felt gave this uke a more traditional look and feel. The sale includes the pictured hard case (an $89 value).

I am asking $275 which includes shipping to the CONUS. I know you can buy a new one for $259 but once you add in the case and shipping mine will save you about a $100 and Mainland is currently out of the Mango Concert model.

Selling this to finance a K brand concert with pickup.

good luck with the sell.

can anyone tell me the main differences between cedar and mango? I've been waiting around to buy a mainland concert red cedar, but it'll be awhile till they can restock. mango is looking real pretty right about now.

I don't know about cedar; but, I like both mangos from Mainland that I bought.

Cedar is a relatively soft wood, even softer than spruce. It's likely to give you more resonance and sustain, a deeper and more "full" sound. Mango is quite hard, and is more likely to give you a sharp attack and more rapid decay-- more of a "cutting" tone, with more emphasis on the trebles.

Mango has tonal characteristics that are similar to koa, which makes it a popular alternative wood to koa, since it is much more readily available. If you're a fan of koa ukes, you may very well like mango. Since the majority of guitar tops are spruce or cedar, the easiest way I can describe cedar tone is to compare it to the dynamics of a guitar. You're not going to get nearly as much bass response in a much smaller instrument, but probably more bass than the "classic" uke tone.

BTW, I own a Mainland Mango Concert, and they are sweet little boxes, especially for the price. I also own a cedar-over-koa tenor, and love that tone, too. No rights or wrongs, just different tones.

I have Mainland tenors in both red cedar and mango, I had Mike install a MiSi in the mango. I currently have both ukes set up with the same strings (fluorocarbons very similar to a Worth CM set), except that I recently switched the red cedar to a low-G (with a non-wound .091 fluorocarbon leader string).

So, I'm in a pretty good position to describe the differences, I think. The red cedar is loud - if your primary goal is a loud uke, hold out for the cedar. The mango, however, has a much richer, more complex tone.

The red cedar sounded more like a small guitar even before I switched it to low-G (in fact, when I got the red cedar it was tuned reentrant and the mango was tuned low-G - it was the fact that even then the red cedar sounded more "guitarish" that prompted me to swap them 'round).

The mango sounds more like a "traditional" koa uke, to my ear. If I had to give one up, I would let the red cedar go - the mango you will have to pry from my cold dead fingers even though I'm not a "tenor man." However, if I ever decide I need a baritone, I will probably get one in red cedar.

I also have a red cedar concert that I converted to a coffee-can resonator. I chose red cedar for that specifically because I knew it was loud and I figured that the conversion was going to cost a lot of volume.

Bottom line, either is a great uke but they are completely different animals. Red cedar - very loud with good bottom end. Mango - quieter but with really sweet complex tone. Caveat - I only had the samples mentioned above so, with the variations you encounter in any acoustic ukes I can't say with absolute certainty that every red cedar will be louder than every mango or that every mango will be as sweet as mine, etc. and etc., ad nauseum, let's kill all the lawyers. LOL

John

Top Bottom