PDA

View Full Version : G String Always Snaps When Restring & Tuning

Mattie
05-23-2011, 06:48 PM
With the first replacement strings I used, they had never actually snapped on me until recently. Earlier I purchased a tenor ukulele along with a side of Aquila tenor strings. Just like routine I took out the older strings to replace with the new Aquila. First is the 4th string (white) which happens to be the G string for the ukulele. I have a chromatic tuner so I typically just tune upwards until I'm able to find the note. Lately I get as far as the C note before it snaps.

I know this sounds incredibly "noobie" of me but I'm in dire need of help so my string breaking streak ends. Any tips or solutions?

uke552
05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Mattie,
Try leaving your uke in tune before changing strings. Start with the g (take it off, put the new one on). Tune the g to the A string (put your finger on the second fret of the g string and then tune it to the open A string). Hope that makes sense...

mm stan
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Aloha Mattie,
I've noticed alot of new string players tuning their new strings a octave higher and the tension breaks the strings even with a tuner....what I mean is you are a whole G higher, that could snap
the string or worse bend the neck and have neck problems...Hope it helps..mm Stan

wolfybau
05-24-2011, 02:59 AM
stan makes a good suggestion, check your tuning against an online tuner , or a lesson video that has someone sounding the strings to tune to, if you know you are in the correct octave if you are unsure of this.

if its not a tuning issue, look for a sharp edge or burr on that particular tuner that could be cutting the string, it wil be obvious if this is the problem because the string will have broken right at the tuner. I've had this problem with guitars. you can get a little rat tail file and file off any sharp edges to correct this problem.

RandyC
05-24-2011, 03:48 AM
just some random ideas:

I like to replace strings one at a time. This not only keeps some tension on the uke, but the old strings provide a pitch reference for the new string to make it easy to get tuned to the right octave.

Can your tuner read out the absolute frequency in Hz, rather than just the note (so you don't tune to the wrong octave) ?

Any chance you have a low-G set and are trying to tune the G an octave too high?

See where the string breaks, and look for a burr there ... tuning pin, nut, bridge ?

Maybe your new strings are defective or damaged?

Teek
05-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I had a Martin baritone that did this, snapping right at the tuner on the wound G string. I couldn't feel a sharp place but I put a bit of tape over the string where it went through the tuner hole and also wound it with the loose end pulled up around and against the post under the string as it wound on, so that the string was held off a hair from the hole edge. Hard to explain, but that worked.

What worked better was non wound strings. Wound Aquilas seem to have a poor reputation.

Tully
05-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Also make sure you're not tuning a low-G set to high-G tuning.