Ukuleles and romance

Uke Republic

Reaction score
We get emails from time to time for players at weddings (myself and Captain Lovehandles did one) engagements , etc We also have customers who want to get that special uke to use while proposing.
10 years ago I wonder how common this would have been? Hey we knew the ukulele can be romantic.
Oh L'Amour ! Now that makes me think of Erasure which should sound great uku-fied!

hey Mike!

well, we all know the ukulele is the instrument of luuuuuurve.... :love:

Just thinking, in much of the old sheet music cover art from the 1920's through to the 40's, the images were so often idealised and romantic and showed the uke was an instrument of courtship. Still is!!!

Now, for a little trip down memory lane by way of illustration. Enjoy... :)

Gotta love Cliff!
hey Mike!

well, we all know the ukulele is the instrument of luuuuuurve.... :love:

Just thinking, in much of the old sheet music cover art from the 1920's through to the 40's, the images were so often idealised and romantic and showed the uke was an instrument of courtship. Still is!!!

Now, for a little trip down memory lane by way of illustration. Enjoy... :)

Ahem...

Romance is for the birds.

Oh wait, that didn't come out right...

Great video. I like that stuff Eugene. BTW I learned the song "side by side" that you sent me! Thanks.

...in much of the old sheet music cover art from the 1920's through to the 40's, the images were so often idealised and romantic...

Oddly enough, the covers really reflect the attitudes of that time. I'm a bit of a family history buff (didn't get the bug until after both folks were dead, unfortunately, and they weren't very talkative about their pasts). Anyway, when I was researching my mom's side I ran across a third cousin who had been in touch with my mom's brother before the accident that left him in a vegetative state. They were both into genealogy and he had sent her several letters describing his childhood (I learned more about my mom's past from those letters than from her). Among the things he sent her was a photocopy of a handwritten letter that his father (my grandfather) had sent to his mother from "somewhere in France" on the eve of their first anniversary. They had not met before they were married. He was a bandleader in the Army, stationed in Texas, and she was a piano teacher in Iowa. One of his buddies had taken some of the music he'd written home and showed it to his piano teacher. They started corresponding and just before he deployed to France in WWII her father brought her down to Texas where they were married, had a two-day honeymoon, then it was off to France for him.

The whole letter was a flowery mix of love and patriotism that is kind of corny today, but seems to have been the norm for "courting" in that era.

John

Top Bottom