Kamoa Carbon Fiber Uke Cases - Review? Thoughts?

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hi Gerald,

I saw protptypes of Kamoa cases at Larry's Music in Kapa'a, Kaua'i, in April, but I don't remember if they were carbon fiber or fiberglass. The ones I saw had two latches, and I was told at the time that they were being redesigned. Sam at Larry's Music allowed my to put a Kamaka tenor in the tenor sized case to see how it fit (it was snug). They looked pretty solid and they're plush on the inside. I have very limited experience traveling with ukuleles -- I travel with a Kala Thinline in a padded gigbag, which I put in a backpack that I carry onto airplanes. However, these cases looked pretty protective. I think wickedwahini also saw them at Larry's Music. If she doesn't post about them in this thread, you could PM her.

Last edited:
Spoke with Elderly Instruments about this case today. They pulled one from stock (tenor) and described it to me over the phone.

The tenor carbon fiber case has four latches. All latches can be locked. The latches are very substantial and strong.

The case is, in the words of the salesperson "Way lighter than a hardshell case".

There are no internal pockets, but there is room around the headstock for free floating tuners, extra strings, packs of gum etc.

They look quite nice, I saw them in the Kauai store - the wine color and the graphite color. I can't say as to whether they will stand up in a cargo hold (I never check my ukes so I didn't bother to investigate that) though.

That's still a lot of dough but cheaper than a Calton. I just can't believe they didn't allow for an accessories compartment. I wouldn't want one of my ukes, with inlays and nice finish, etc, in the same case with a bunch of junk rattling around with it. They should at least enclose a velour bag or some such. I still think the Ameritage Gold Series is the best overall case at a decent price.

Last edited:
I just can't believe they didn't allow for an accessories compartment. I would want one of my ukes, with inlays and all, in the same case with a bunch of junk rattling around with it. They should at least enclose a velour bag or some such. I still think the Ameritage Gold Series is the best overall case at a decent price.

I asked Aldrine about the lack of a compartment -- I think he said he carries a bag around so it isn't a factor for him (he has a fiberglass one). It is a hassle to carry stuff separate, but a small bag would hold everything and the cases are very nice and compact. Still, I do wish they had at least put a decent compartment in under the neck portion. There is a teeny, tiny compartment - might fit a small clip on tuner but that is about it. You can see it around where the top of the handle meets the body. This is the fiberglass -- I think the carbon fiber is the same inside but I'm not certain.

attachment.php

I love the Ameritage cases as well but they are so incredibly heavy that for traveling they are really a hassle. That is why I was into the Kamoa ones.

Last edited:
Yes, the Ameritage cases are heavy and that's a drawback, especially if you travel a lot and have other stuff to carry as well. But if a case is suppose to protect, they do a better job than most. I also like the built-in climate control feature of the Gold Series. It seems that all the cases I've seen have at least one serious flaw. Makes me wonder if the perfect case could be built at an affordable price.

Yes, the Ameritage cases are heavy and that's a drawback, especially if you travel a lot and have other stuff to carry as well. But if a case is suppose to protect, they do a better job than most. I also like the built-in climate control feature of the Gold Series. It seems that all the cases I've seen have at least one serious flaw. Makes me wonder if the perfect case could be built at an affordable price.

I think it could be. I was at NAMM one year and there was a Chinese manufacturer making fiberglass uke cases (and other cases, Calton style). They had 3 latches (lockable), a hygrometer inside, and a good sized storage compartment. They were REALLY nice! I didn't have a uke for one at the time so I didn't buy one. They had a retail price of $99!!!

Actually, the needle moves pretty slowly so if you look at it upon opening the case you'll get a pretty good reading. Having said that, most, if not all, of the gauges that come in inexpensive cases are worthless; merely there for decoration. What's worse however, is that depending upon their location they can scratch the heck out of a headstock, especially if it's a slotted one. (The posts on traditional tuners tend to offer a little protection.)

I have my best ukes in Ameritage siver cases, with digital hydrometers and oasis humidifiers, they are only slightly heavier than the cheaper hard cases and i rarely carry more than one at a time. They work very well, my favorite so far.
I also do not want a case without a small storage compartment, all of my ukes have a tuner, a cloth, extra strings, digital hydrometer, and a humidifier in the storage compartment in the case with them, the last thing I want is a bunch of stuff rattling around inside the case, damaging the uke

Last edited:
I have my best ukes in Ameritage siver cases, with digital hydrometers and oasis humidifiers, they are only slightly heavier than the cheaper hard cases and i rarely carry more than one at a time. They work very well, my favorite so far.
I also do not want a case without a small storage compartment, all of my ukes have a tuner, a cloth, extra strings, digital hydrometer, and a humidifier in the storage compartment in the case with them, the last thing I want is a bunch of stuff rattling around inside the case, damaging the uke

You must be a lot stronger than me...I have dragged my Ameritage cases around airports and always longed for a lighter case. I also have a Kamaka hard case but it is really not very good protection -- still I take my uke in that now since the Ameritage is just too heavy for me to carry for long jaunts in airports and on trips. I do think it has wonderful protective capabilities though.

I agree the lack of a compartment is a pain, but for me it isn't a big deal. When I go to uke class I always have a backpack for my music stand, book, etc. so it is no biggie to have my stuff in there. On trips, I have my carryon bag, so I carry stuff in that. And at uke festivals, my purse would hold everything I would need. Still, your point is well taken, that is my only detraction for the Kamoa cases. But I would under no circumstance put stuff loose in there to rattle around and damage my uke.

The Ameritage cases look fantastic and I would consider them but they don't have a shoulder strap. When I travel via air shoulder straps are a life saver. I travel with two suitcases latched together (one for clothes, one for musical equipment), a soft gigbag for my steel guitar and a case with a strap for my tenor uke. I need the shoulder straps on the instrument cases.

The Ameritage cases look fantastic and I would consider them but they don't have a shoulder strap. When I travel via air shoulder straps are a life saver. I travel with two suitcases latched together (one for clothes, one for musical equipment), a soft gigbag for my steel guitar and a case with a strap for my tenor uke. I need the shoulder straps on the instrument cases.

You can add straps to the Ameritage cases. I did with both of mine by attaching d rings to them. Using a strap with an Ameritage is a must for me due to their heaviness.

See my post in this thread for photos and explanation (the first post on the page linked).

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40393-Case-Preference-What-type-and-Why/page5

They look quite nice, I saw them in the Kauai store - the wine color and the graphite color. I can't say as to whether they will stand up in a cargo hold (I never check my ukes so I didn't bother to investigate that) though.

Staci, Did you end up pre-ordering one of the Kamoa cases? I'm considering it, but I have the same issue you have about the lack of an interior compartment. Also, I'm not sure if you'd be able to add a shoulder strap to it.

I have been looking at making a case liek this, but the materials to make a case are $125
http://www.calzonecase.com/options/gallery.html
Might still do it, but make it a double, side by side with wheels and a retactrable handle.
You may be able to contact Calzone or any other place that makes flight cases

Top Bottom