Thicknessing tool for a rank amateur? Safe-T-Planer?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good, low cost tool for thicknessing sound boards/backs/sides for a rank amateur?

I am considering getting a Safe-T-Planer . It seems like the tool most likely to give me a decent result. I cannot plane worth a damn, so I haven't included that. (Actually I tried hand planing with some scrap wood... not good.) Sanders seem way to pricey for an amateur. So a Safe-T-Planer seems like a reasonable choice at an OK price.

Comments/suggestions please.

I did my 1st 10 or so with a safe-t-planer, it works if you are careful still have to do some or lots of hand sanding to get swirl marks out. Then graduated to a 10/20 drum sander.

I have one. They work very well for thicknessing. You do need a decent drill press. When you set it up the leading edge needs to be slightly tilted into the work.

I've got one, and tried thicknessing some parts with it when I first started out. For me it's just a no-go and I'd have a really hard time recommending anyone go with this method.

When I was starting out I paid $20 per guitar set to have them thickness sanded, including bindings. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I still use mine but I have a very good drill press. LMII sells an attachment that converts it into a sander - unless you make the sanding disc an anulus it is a flawed design. John Gilbert has the solution which I have developed cor my sanding tool.

See Robert O'Brien's YouTube channel for info on using both these tools...

What about a belt sander?

(sorry if i double post pc is acting weird again)

I like the safe-t-planer and get good results. As mentioned above, there are swirl marks that need to be cleaned up by scraping and/or sanding. This is my set up. The leading edge is raised slightly as suggested in the O'brien video.

Attachments

• DSC02975.jpg
    DSC02975.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 66
I tried a belt sander - it makes the wood thinner, but I can't see how you'd get any uniform thicknessing.

I'm getting on well with a scraper plane, which cost me the equivalent of USD30 from eBay (some go for more because they are "collectable" models, so you need to be patient). Quite easy to sharpen and gives good results, especially on figured grain.

Record scraper plane.JPG

I love my Saf T Planer!! It does leave swirl marks to sand out....and it throws chips all over. But for the money its a great tool for the hobby builder.

Ditto! Great tool for the money. I think the swirls are easiest dealt with by keeping the tool sharp. It may say Saf T Planer but be careful it is dangerous. Quite capable of putting the hurt on.

I used the Saf T Planer for a bit and ended up selling it. Works pretty well if you use it correctly, as shown in the video Pete spoke of, but once you run through some maple and rosewood with it it's dull, when it's dull it can be very dangerous (it'll yank the wood on you). I sharpened it twice and got tired/rid of it. If you don't mind keeping it nice and sharp and really paying attention to technique and feed rate it works like a charm.

Top Bottom