Choices! Koaloha KTM- tenor or Sceptre tenor

MARCOVGV

Reaction score
Ok so ever since i first played an ukulele I have wanted a Koaloha.

I have been saving money to buy ONE nice ukulele. I am stuck between the Koaloha Sceptre and the Koaloha KTM-00(standard tenor). What would you choose and why?

Do both of these instruments have the same nut width?

Thanks to all for your help with my decision!

I have gone online and seen videos of both playing. Man, its tough to make a choice by ear based on computer audio and recording quality posted online. help!

I'd go with the standard no question. I often play in my office chair with the lower bout right about in-between my legs and that spike wouldn't be so comfy if you know what I mean. Also, the spike wouldn't fit my stands. If you don't have any issues with the body shape, then I'd make my decision by sound. Of course that's where it will be difficult.

I have gone online and seen videos of both playing. Man, its tough to make a choice by ear based on computer audio and recording quality posted online. help!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just ordered a uke after hours of listening to online clips over and over again and still not getting a really good sense of the sound of the instrument. What helped me the most was just talking a lot with a few different people at the store over the phone to help me clarify what I was hearing online. One thing I've heard over and over again from a lot of people is that when you're buying an instrument of this quality they're all good. So it's more about personal preference than which one is better.

Also, I posted in the "buying tips" section of the forum. You can get some good advice there from people who have played and own both.

Last edited:
I'd go for the Sceptre.

From what i hear in MGM's videos, it sounds like a Cannon. (I'm not saying my KoAloha standard Tenor isn't)
But the shape of the sceptre is very unique as well. Totally personal preference!

I hear that the Sceptre is much louder too. My tenor is not loud but I don't mind considering I play for myself. The tone is sweet!

I have a koaloha superconcert, and some people say it is loudest than the loud koaloha tenor (never played a koaloha tenor), but the tone has also more brightness. It's a good thing for me, and a bad thing to others...
I also know some people prefer the more balanced tone of the tenor, specially to sing together.

I think your choice should be:
1. especially if you want more comfort, to play sitting down, go with Tenor;
2. If you want to mostly louder volume and a different tone, go for Sceptre.

(do not forget that the Sceptre can also be in concert size)

I had the very same choice a few months ago and for the same reason, wanted my first Hawaiian Uke and was my first big spend.

In the end I went for the normal tenor as I wanted my first koa uke to be more traditional...As both of them have marvellous reviews and reputations I found it difficult to judge so this swayed me....

Dunno if this helops or not

Chris

Here is a video (of suspect quality) of both. The sceptre is mine but Mike is playing it b/c he is better than me:) The sceptre can hold its own against guitars and the design doesn't make it hard to play. In fact it might be one of the most comfortable ukes I own.

I played a tenor that blew away the sceptre in volume and richness a few days ago....out of 5 in the batch this one stood out...just saying..

Pick the Sceptre you won't be sorry.

Top Bottom