Finger-Picking Ideas?

jimdville

Reaction score
Fellow Ukers, I'm currently working on a Beginning Finger-Picking DVD.
I'd like to know, from the folks that would be interested in such a product, what topics you'd like to see covered. I appreciate any input.
Thanks, Jim

Aloha Jim,
Always in for some new different techniques...like classical, banjo style, Slack key, latin etc...

Haven't learned to fingerpick yet, l would need some really fundamental exercises that gradually increase in complexity.

I agree, how to blend into the strumming would be great.

How about Travis picking style?

Haven't learned to fingerpick yet, l would need some really fundamental exercises that gradually increase in complexity.

Same here!! I would need to start from the beginning with the basics.

Have you ever seen the earl scruggs banjo book? He really handles the importance of doing the rolls a bunch! Speed will come! Sloppy practice will just make for sloppy picking. I would like to see basic rolls for well known songs myself

Bluegrass finger picking!

I'd be delighted to play half as good as Tom Guy of Bluegrass Ukes.

Travis picking and other picking styles normally used on acoustic guitar translated into Ukulele (because my ears often fail me)
Strumming and blending
Overlaying melody onto chords
Set-up tips (what is the best way to set up a uke for fingerpicking)

What everybody else is saying. The problem I have with a lot of the other lessons is that they show the patterns but don"t use it in a song. Teach the pattern then teach a song.

I'm currently working on transitioning my Travis picking from guitar to ukulele, so as previously suggested that might be interesting. Transcribing some of the Travis standards would also be nice. Just a note: the alternating bass works pretty well even with the high G tuning. Gives it a whole new harmonic.

Some jazz uke fingerpicking, like "Lyle Ritz style", please!

Maybe two CD's -- one for absolute beginners like me, and another one for those who want to add some extra style to their picking.

Top Bottom