Fair shipping charges

Depends on how much the uke is worth and how fast you need it

I had shipped several sopranos-tenors for as low as $15-$25 depending on distance from my zip with comfirmation (USPS), with a hard case. A bit more with ins though. But are you talking about an individual or a retail business. Most businesses charge more than actual shipping to cover admin costs to cover packing materials, and costs of employee time to prepare for shipping. More overhead costs with shipping than just actual PO costs when it comes to retail. But, they shouldn't try to make it part of their profit margin though.

Last edited:
I have shipped a few ukes, concert and tenor size via various vendors, ups, fedex and USPS. I ussually got it around $10. I did not insure them though. Everything worked out too.

Shipping has gone up. UPS charges fuel surcharges, rural fees etc. USPS Priority can be a great deal sometimes but additional insurance can really increase the price. Yep and supplies have increased like boxes and having the boxes delivered. Lot of variables

I always paid around $40 up to $65 of shipping w/ ensurance for any uke (USPS priority or express). For me, it's part of the price...I live miles and miles of all my ukes by US, ENG or AUS...

And how far it's going. I know a guy who lives way up in the NW Territories in Northern Canada and a fair price would probably be around $100USD.

I'm not entirely sure how that counts as a fair price, as it generally doesn't cost nearly that much to send a uke from the States to Australia. I'm also suspecting that Alaskans wouldn't have to pay anywhere near $100USD for shipping. Yes, I realise that the presence of the border magically causes the price to double, but even so.

I've paid about $30 each for the shipping of various ukes from various American locations to Toronto (not including taxes or UPS's unexplained "fees"). One seller was quoted $100 by UPS and $60 by USPS, but the actual USPS costs were half what he had been told they would be. There is really no logical reason it should cost $100 for a package to be sent from one point in North America to another point in North America (unless Point B is in the middle of a fiery lake located 200 kilometres from the nearest hamlet and guarded by a three-headed dragon).

I realise that the question is about CONUS shipping, but Mr. Moonlight struck a nerve, alas. Cursed, cursed shipping costs.

I'm not entirely sure how that counts as a fair price, as it generally doesn't cost nearly that much to send a uke from the States to Australia. I'm also suspecting that Alaskans wouldn't have to pay anywhere near $100USD for shipping. Yes, I realise that the presence of the border magically causes the price to double, but even so.

I've paid about $30 each for the shipping of various ukes from various American locations to Toronto (not including taxes or UPS's unexplained "fees"). One seller was quoted $100 by UPS and $60 by USPS, but the actual USPS costs were half what he had been told they would be. There is really no logical reason it should cost $100 for a package to be sent from one point in North America to another point in North America (unless Point B is in the middle of a fiery lake located 200 kilometres from the nearest hamlet and guarded by a three-headed dragon).

I realise that the question is about CONUS shipping, but Mr. Moonlight struck a nerve, alas. Cursed, cursed shipping costs.

I think part of it is based on how much shipping traffic there is to a region by that company. I had an iquiry for a printer I was selling on Ebay from a guy in Russia. Shipping via USPS was around $250, but through Fedex it was almost 2K. I've had instruments shipped from one coast to the other across the U.S. and it's usually between $15 and $30 depending on the size. I've also found that shipping out from certain locations is more expensive with some companies too. I sent a small package via UPS to a location around 30minutes away and it cost me $16 from Miami Beach. To ship the other direction was only $6. I was able to send a Tenor uke back to musiciansfriend via Fedex for $13 from Miami Beach. So when shipping stuff, it's good to cross check a few different companies and also take into consideration the size of the package. That can also make a big difference.

I'm not entirely sure how that counts as a fair price, as it generally doesn't cost nearly that much to send a uke from the States to Australia.

It really depends on how valuable the uke is, how well it's packed and how quickly you want it. The last uke I sent to Australia cost $124.25 via USPS Express Mail. The carton was 30"X12"X12', 13 pounds in weight and insured for $2000. I think if you've got cheap ukes it's OK to ship cheaply by choosing slower delivery time, less packaging material and less insurance. Remember, every uke that is shipped out of the state of Hawaii is being shipped to Zone 8 and Zone 8 is expensive. Shipping rates will only increase in the future.
Express mail also guarantees delivery on time or your money is refunded.

Last edited:
One strange thing with USPS is that depending upon the destination, size and weight, sometimes USPS Express is actually cheaper than USPS Priority. I know it's that way when we ship certain things to Hawaii. Weird.

Australia has become one f the highest plaxces to ship to Th other shppers who adsdd ridicolous srchages to ship to Hawaii ands Aalskas are ussually scaming you Yes sometimes it is higher but if they shpi free priority fro ny to cal the price is th same from ny to alaska and Haaii Most of my shipping is done 2nd day ups because ofd megoited rates makes it cheaper than gound shippin Try shipping a pono back in a hard shell pono cse from NY to Hawaiii 2nd day air they will quote you close to 100.00 dolllars i get it to you for about 20.00

I never understood USPS Ground shipping to Hawaii.

Well, here's a great example of UNfair shipping charges:

Overpriced Kamaka on eBay and 80 bucks to ship!

:)

Now, THAT is funny. The item is located in Seattle. Shipping to anywhere in the States is $79.95. Shipping to Toronto, Canada (as well as Vancouver; I tried a couple of postal codes) is $30.50. Anyone want to take a guess at what on earth is going through this seller's head?

Now, THAT is funny. The item is located in Seattle. Shipping to anywhere in the States is $79.95. Shipping to Toronto, Canada (as well as Vancouver; I tried a couple of postal codes) is $30.50. Anyone want to take a guess at what on earth is going through this seller's head?

no, I have a hard enough time figuring out what's going on in my head.I UsuaLLy ship UPS, but it seems USPS is comparable. About $15 SOPRANO, UP TO $25 FOR A BARITONE WITH CASE.

The same joker has been trying to sell his HF-1 on eBay forever. I think he started at $1395 for an instrument that you can get brand new, with warranty, for $700 or so.

It's actually not that far off if you have Fedex/UPS/Staples... do both the packing and shipping. Nothing wrong with going that route. I agree it's definitely on the pricey side, but it's for a 1K Kamaka and I've gotten some pretty banged up boxes delivered to my door.

If you were going to take your Kamaka and drop it from about 8ft onto the concrete, how well would you pack it, how long would it take you and how much would your time and materials be?

Top Bottom