Ukulele Donations - Attn Rayan

deach

Reaction score
I re-read his post:

So I come here and ask for help. Does anyone know of any makers that do charity work? I

He didn't solicit money or donation, rather he asked if anyone knew any makers that did charity work. It was other members who decided on their own to donate.

Please unlock his thread.

I agree, seeing his original post was not asking members for help, rather just asking if anyone knew of ukulele makers that donate.

I can totally see and appreciate Rayan's protectiveness of the generous UU community we have here on the forum, but in this case, it doesn't sound like he was asking for donations from members. But I'd also say anyone thinking of donating to anyone who asks should check into the legitimacy carefully.

I would have to agree. I think asking folks for advice on HOW to get help, is very different than asking FOR help.

:confused:

I have to also agree that he was not asking us for money or donations. And while we need to "trust but verify" on the one hand, we also want to be positive and affirming of anyone who wants to teach kids to play the uke. If he needs any guidance regarding the UU rules, that's fine, but we should not lock him out!

I'm split on this one. He did not initially ask for donations, but the thread was going in that direction. Of course, we all want to help the keikis. Right?
Maybe now that everyone is reminded of the rules, there is some way to unlock the thread but keep it on the subject of "Does anyone know of any makers that do charity work?"

I think THIS thread should be locked down and all "protests" be made via PM to the appropriate places.

Well, since it's impossible to reply in that thread, I know that Kamaka has donated to schools in Hawaii before to help with ukulele programs. In fact, I believe I played on Kamakas while in elementary school learning about my dog that had fleas. But as for mainland schools, I don't know.

(I will remain as neutral as the Swiss on the topic of the locking.) :D

I'm split on this one. He did not initially ask for donations, but the thread was going in that direction. Of course, we all want to help the keikis. Right?
Maybe now that everyone is reminded of the rules, there is some way to unlock the thread but keep it on the subject of "Does anyone know of any makers that do charity work?"

This is a good suggestion, maybe those who want to help by direct donations should PM the guy.

I think THIS thread should be locked down and all "protests" be made via PM to the appropriate places.

If you truly believe this, why didn't you follow your own advice?

This isn't a protest against something that happened to me, rather a situation that involves several members.

FORUM - a public facility to meet for open discussion

If we can't openly, yet respectfully protest, what good is the forum?

While I applaud Rayan's intent to keep ALL members safe, I feel he may have misread the original post. Instead of locking the thread, maybe he could have issued the warning and reminded us this is NOT a UU endorsed activity and to participate at our own risk.

If we can't openly, yet respectfully protest, what good is the forum?

YES. this is the EXACT place for this thread. I can see the argument for locking the other one...I don't necessarily agree with locking it, but I can understand the argument. But discussing this policy openly absolutely belongs here. This is how we can listen to each others opinions, and see all sides of the argument.

Please unlock the thread and treat us like grown-up people capable of making up our own minds. A reminder about UU rules to sound a cautionary note is laudable but locking the thread, in my opinion, takes it too far.

I can see Rayan's point of view. This is meant to be an online community for people with an interest in ukuleles and sharing music etc and not an online advertising forum where members join, take what they want, and leave. From what I've seen of this forum so far the members are unusually generous and it would be a real shame to see this good will abused.

It's debateable whether locking the thread was the best step to take but I think the fundamental reasoning behind doing so was correct. I think spreading the word about ukuleles is really good, and I'd have loved to have had the opportunity to learn to play when I was really young.

I might be wrong but the whole ethos of the UU website is of a caring community and not that of a large corporate body. By preventing this type of soliciting I can see that the Staff are trying to prevent the abuse of this environment. I think if people are generous enough to want to make donations to such a cause that they could do it in private, I'm just not sure the site should be used as a spring board for this type of activity.

Perhaps the users could join forces for good and make a website or forum where people can write in and request donations or help to spread the ukulele message?

Ryan has a good point but...
moochers come on here asking for donations, seriously...
it could be some 17 year old kid setting it all up (no life)
all they need to say is, im doing charity for sick children and playing ukulele > donations anybody??
i would donate, even $10... $10 from 37 people is what?? almost $250, so hes foine for the weekend :D

I can see Rayan's point of view....
...It's debateable whether locking the thread was the best step to take but I think the fundamental reasoning behind doing so was correct.
...By preventing this type of soliciting I can see that the Staff are trying to prevent the abuse of this environment.
The original post asked if anyone knew of a company who could help out the kids. He NEVER solicited donations. Once members posted they would help him, he put up his school's website to prove he was not being deceptive.

Perhaps the users could join forces for good and make a website or forum where people can write in and request donations or help to spread the ukulele message?

There are several Ukulele donation programs that I contribute to however I'd rather help a member's cause before I throw my money into a virtual bucket somewhere.

Ryan has a good point but...
moochers come on here asking for donations, seriously...
it could be some 17 year old kid setting it all up (no life)
all they need to say is, im doing charity for sick children and playing ukulele > donations anybody??

True but he posted his school's website. Like I have done with my other donations to ukulele teachers, I WILL check out the school before 1 penny is spent.

Oh man it's a tough call. I see both sides. The whole solicitation thing has already started to happen. Look at Dom's uke giveaway thread. At least one there for whom showing up with a tale of woe looking for a new uke - and it was their first post. No other contribution to the site, just looking for a new uke.

It sets the tone for less-than-honest folks to show up here for money and/or new ukes.

But then there's what Deach is saying. The OP of the thread in question was asking for advice. Being that uke charities have been discussed in the past, it's not an unreasonable idea to ask.

And at the end of the day, a discussion forum isn't a democracy, if your country has free speech laws, they won't apply on a privately-run discussion forum, and what the mods and admins decide is really up to them, and if we don't like it, then we know where the logout button is.

I can see it both ways. UU is trying to protect the members, and Deach here is pointing out there isn't anything to protect us from in this case.

Oh man it's a tough call. I see both sides. The whole solicitation thing has already started to happen. Look at Dom's uke giveaway thread. At least one there for whom showing up with a tale of woe looking for a new uke - and it was their first post. No other contribution to the site, just looking for a new uke.

This is true, That's why when I did my contest, I usually said you had to have a join date before the contest post date. Dom's case is different though. He has a million subs through YouTube. He announced he was giving away the uke there as well. By doing this, I am sure people came to this site and registered to try win. Hopefully some of those people will contribute and not just take advantage of Dominator's generous gesture.

And at the end of the day, a discussion forum isn't a democracy, if your country has free speech laws, they won't apply on a privately-run discussion forum, and what the mods and admins decide is really up to them, and if we don't like it, then we know where the logout button is.

Good point.

Top Bottom