Thinning the Herd

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hi friends:

I'll soon be thinning the uke herd. I've had time to play and evaluate, and here's what goes and here's what stays:

GOING:
Gibson Uke 1
Harmony Barry from the 50s
Ohana SK35G (I have the matte version)
Sprucehouse Soprano

PROBABLY GOING:
Gretsch 30s soprano
Kala Watermelon
Ohana TK35G

STAYING PUT
Kamaka Pineapple
Kamaka Concert
Martin 0 1948
Kiwaya KTS4
Ohana SK35
Ohana SK38
Ohana Sopranino
Mainland Banjo Uke
Flea
Dolphin

Why?

The STAYING PUT is what I usually play. And 10 seems like a nice, round, number.

15 is nice round number too....:D

But, seriously, I understand what you are saying. Most of us could let 1 or more go.

Last edited:
Wow. If you find the GOINGs and the PROBABLY GOINGs new homes, you'll likely have the bucks for a spectacular #11.

Joining the thinning out party, huh?

Trust me, following through with your plan to sell is difficult! (Well, depending on how many other things you've got going on in your life.)

But I think you can get even more minimalist than that with your collection if you really wanted. :)

hey all you guys with way too many great ukes, I only have 2 ukes, a Makala and an Eleuke and I'll soon be looking for a nice concert size to buy. Around $250 plus postage to Australia. Go on, make yourself feel better, unburden yourself, sell me one...

I've been doing something similar lately too, and yeah, it feels really good. Too good actually....I don't want to stop!!! Ukes I never dreamed of letting go I'm thinking really hard about passing on too. I feel a lot lighter and have an enormous amount of peace about the whole thing, especially knowing they'll be going to homes where they'll be played and loved. I've gone from over 30 down to 11, actually started to put some money into a family savings account and am seriously contemplating selling 3 or 4 more. Several in particular were very difficult to part with, but the funny thing is, now they're gone I don't really miss them. Life moves on and you can only play one at a time, right? Good for you pdx and all the very best with the sales mate. :)

Yep, you can only play one at a time. But, there are a couple ukes I miss. Trying to stay at a constant level this year (if one comes in, one has to go). Eugene you are an inspiration!

Don't you find some songs sound better on some ukes, and awful on others (even if it is wonderful uke)? Certainly it is not unreasonable to have more than 1.

I've been doing something similar lately too, and yeah, it feels really good. Too good actually....I don't want to stop!!! Ukes I never dreamed of letting go I'm thinking really hard about passing on too. I feel a lot lighter and have an enormous amount of peace about the whole thing, especially knowing they'll be going to homes where they'll be played and loved. I've gone from over 30 down to 11, actually started to put some money into a family savings account and am seriously contemplating selling 3 or 4 more. Several in particular were very difficult to part with, but the funny thing is, now they're gone I don't really miss them. Life moves on and you can only play one at a time, right? Good for you pdx and all the very best with the sales mate. :)

Congratulations! It's great that you've been able to convert your lesser-played ukuleles to funds for your family. You ARE an inspiration!

You got any minimalist or reasonable prices ..ha ha only kidding..so is this a teaser or you have prices???

Top Bottom