Re-Routing Binding Channel

Timbuck

Reaction score
Anyone know what the World record is for cutting out duff binding and redoing it again and again? :(

Last edited:
I believe the land speed record was set by me back in 1998 with a auditorium shaped guitar... two binding slots routed in 58.254 seconds. shattering the old record by 4 seconds.

remember folks it aint braggin if you can pull it off.... "sniff" :cool:

Well, I've just had to do it once when my 5th guitar that was newly sprayed was being hung up to dry. Missed the line that I was hanging it on and it hit the floor on the tail block. Bounced nearly as high as were it was dropped from. Wife went running to hide...and I had to survey the damage. New back was required as that one shattered, but surprisingly no other damage.

I don't relish ever doing it on my own instruments, but it is a requirement for repairs on some of the ones that come across the work bench. I suppose in hind sight that one disaster set me up with the intestinal fortitude to carry out similar repairs for paying customers.

Allen,

Been there, done that (not the redoing of the binding part). Not unlike Pete, I've not done this, finding it easier to just rebuild another instrument from scratch. Fortunately, the ONE that this happened to (same way, fell while spraying) had NO inlays!

Ouch!

Aaron

Last edited:
I'm experimenting at the moment with some Plastic binding and I ended up with a gap on the upper bout that was too big to fill...So I routed it all out again and re bound it..but:mad: on the 2nd attempt the binding snapped co's some CA glue/activator had got on it and made it brittle in one small area...So I routed it all out and started again:( and this time it was a success:D...It looks perfect.. but it's like having a dent removed from your new car (somehow it's not the same)

Top Bottom