Is it just me?

the52blues

Reaction score
I know we all have different tastes and biases but I see and read so many people on here salivating over the plainest looking ukes, posting their picks of their newest acquisition like it was something special. No fancy inlay, plain, boring round sound hole, little or no inlay as markers on the neck etc. Now I know the inlay does not contribute to the sound but I wouldn't pay the kind of money they are charging for these ukes when I can buy dazzling looking (and sounding) ukes for less than half the price. I guess I don't get it. It seems like Martin and the big Ks from Hawaii have cast a spell or something. Must have missed me....

I think it's all about the sound, not the bling, IMHO. Bling is nice, but sound comes first.

You are absolutely correct, we all have our biases, likes and dislikes. One man's fancy is another man's "glitzy." One man's plain an boring is another man's simple and elegant. That is why there are so many different style ukes on the Market.

For me, it's the sound of the uke and the feel of the neck. My rule is, "If you can't put it down, take it home." I have alot of other guitars and banjos that have the sound and "glitz". My taste in ukes leans towards simple looks, big sound. But.......that's just me.

It's a matter of different tastes, I suppose. I don't care for bling at all, so I wouldn't say I buy ukes purely based on sound. But for me, Kamakas are a combo of simple looks and gorgeous sound, which is just about perfect to me.

I've played some lovely sounding Koalohas, and owned one once, but would not likely ever own one again because I can't stand the headstock and the new branded bridge.

That being said - if a vintage Martin 5K came my way, I sure wouldn't turn it down :)

A few years ago I had a custom built SG style electric guitar built for me by a custom builder. I was very lucky to get one of his instruments before he became pretty well known - I couldn't really afford him now. I wanted an SG with a chambered body and a maple cap. Anyway, for the same price as I paid I could have had a transparent finish over a gorgeous flamed top but I chose a simple "off-white" solid finish. Why, you ask? Because that was going to be my main working axe - I'm reasonably careful with my instruments but I still know full well that it's going to pick up nicks and scratches from constant use. I wanted a finish that I could touch up easily, that would not show the road wear, and an instrument that I could turn my back on for thirty seconds without worrying about it being stolen.

About ten years ago I came into a little cash and decided to get myself a really nice Taylor acoustic guitar. I went to a local shop that carries a large selection of Taylors, including a locked humidity-controlled room with the really high end "presentation grade" Taylor and Martin guitars. I fully intended to come away with one of those high end Taylors and had the cash in pocket (well, in checking account). After several hours in the shop I came away with a humble little 3-series Taylor. It doesn't even have a bound fretboard but it played and sounded every bit as good as the best of the high end Taylors and I just couldn't bring myself to spend all that extra money on bling.

Do I appreciate a beautiful inlay job, flamed finishes, etc? Sure, but as art, not as something I necessarily want on a working axe.

When it comes to ukes I find a really nice grain pattern and rich finish far more attractive than flashy inlays and rosettes, etc. Besides which, the various asian outfits have proven that you can have pretty amazing eye candy very inexpensively - getting really top notch wood and quality construction is what takes money - why would I add cheap "bling" to great wood and construction? :)

John

So where do you get one for less price that is blingy?

I'm shopping for a concert pineapple...

I like simple sometimes but am also blown away by the Morre Bettah ukes...

Also Kitchy Ukes can be really fun and cool too..

I asked about Mango wood last week because I thought they were so beautiful and was told by one(very cool person) that maybe sometimes they don't sound so great.

I would rather have great sound over beauty too, but "why not both?" is a worthy question...

"The answer to almost every question is 'Money'."
Neil Armstrong

I LOVE bling. That is why I had Chuck Moore build me an ukulele. His inlays are gorgeous! But I goota say -- the sound is awesome too. My ukulele would not, however, be for everyone. Nor should it be. If everybody loved the same things it would be a really boring world.

I know we all have different tastes and biases but I see and read so many people on here salivating over the plainest looking ukes, posting their picks of their newest acquisition like it was something special. No fancy inlay, plain, boring round sound hole, little or no inlay as markers on the neck etc. Now I know the inlay does not contribute to the sound but I wouldn't pay the kind of money they are charging for these ukes when I can buy dazzling looking (and sounding) ukes for less than half the price. I guess I don't get it. It seems like Martin and the big Ks from Hawaii have cast a spell or something. Must have missed me....

I for one love natural wood, flamed wood, curled wood, however "plain" you decide to call the style of the ukulele. The tone of your post comes across to me as talking down to those of us who are VERY happy with our K brands, our "plain" ukuleles that to me are just as beautiful as one with "fancy" inlays. Yes, I salivate over "plain" ukuleles. "Posting pictures like it was something special"?? I'm sorry that is a VERY condescending way to address those who are ecstatic about their new ukuleles, which to them IS something special. My ukulele IS something special. I love it. It's beautiful, it sounds better then any other ukulele I have played and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Screw inlay. That is to say, I quite like inlay, in fact I would love to have a custom with some personal inlay designed. But talking down to those without it who choose quality and natural beauty over bling seems very mean to me. Or is that "just me?"

...Now I know the inlay does not contribute to the sound but I wouldn't pay the kind of money they are charging for these ukes when I can buy dazzling looking (and sounding) ukes for less than half the price. I guess I don't get it. It seems like Martin and the big Ks from Hawaii have cast a spell or something. Must have missed me....

Sounds like you're comparing probably the various asian ukes with bling to "basic" models in the Hawaiian brands like KoAloha, etc. Having both I can tell you that there is a definite quality advantage with the latter. Even though I'm a rabid fan of Mainlands I would not put them in the same category as my KoAlohas. As for the asian ukes with lots of inlay, etc., well...let's not even go there. Are the K-brands worth twice as much as Mainlands, et. al? Not in my opinion, but to dismiss them as less worthy because they aren't draped in the kind of machine-cut "inlay" you see on the asian ukes is kind of like dismissing a Picasso painting because it doesn't make a good wind chime. LOL

I know women who drape themselves in cheap costume jewelry and just look...cheap. I know other women who wear little or no jewelry at all and look like a million bucks. :)

Why can't you have both?

Personally, I spend my allotted money on the best sounding, not necessarily the plainest, uke I can find. Good inlay work is expensive. The best sounding ukes for a fixed price will be less blingy, or very used. Man, I would love to have a Moore Bettah or a DeVine ukulele with lots of bling. Some day I might. But in the meantime, I'll delight in the all the ukes (plain or otherwise) that I and others play and enjoy.

... and Sukie, EVERYONE loves your Moore Bettah Flamingo uke. :D

There's something to be said though about a quality handmade instrument. The quality and attention to detail really come through, not just in looks but in the sound as well. Sure you can buy a uke for a quarter the price with all the pretty inlay with good quality materials too, but it's rare if ever to find one that matches the of a quality handmade instrument even if it's a very simple one. So is it worth it? For some yes and other's no. Sometimes we're talking just a 10% difference in sound and build quality but with a 500% price increase. For some, it's that 10% that speaks to them above all other less expensive factory instruments and you can't put a price on love.

Each persons definition of "expensive" and "good sound" is different.

A $80 uke might be considered expensive for some and a $10,000 uke is considered expensive to others. Likewise, the $80 uke might sound better to some than a more expensive uke and vice versa.

The Large Variety of Ukulele's is what makes this hobby so, Great! Everyone can afford and learn to play the ukulele!

I like them all!

Last edited:
I know women who drape themselves in cheap costume jewelry and just look...cheap. I know other women who wear little or no jewelry at all and look like a million bucks. :)

OldePhart nailed it (no pun intended:rolleyes:)!

There are many concepts when it comes to aesthetics, but I like to consider a plain ol´ Martin 0 as as much wabi-sabi as an ukulele can get.

AMEN to that!

For the same money, you can usually get a better uke used than new, you can get a better uke without bling than with,and you usually get what you pay for; most better ukes are going to be more expensive. common sense. it depends on what you want, and sushi with wabi-sabi sounds good too.

A couple a weeks back one of the members had a Gibson baritone for sale. I would have loved to buy it but it was just bad timing for me. But I related a story to him how I once had a Gibson Dove that I loved dearly mostly because it was the best playing guitar I have ever had and the sweet Bass tone was what "I" loved. Well I got talked selling it so I could buy a real guitar a Martin D 35. Long story short I never liked the martin! and regret to this day , more than 50 yrs, later selling that Gibson. Never missed the martin when I sold it. I guess it gave the member pause as he pulled the Gibson the next day and I don't blame him a bit. I guess you just have to feel that it is the one! Funny how that works I sold all my basses except I kept an aria fret less that i loved best even more than my fenders. I still have a Tele as it plays so well and makes the sound I like best. and oddly I have a takanime Dobro I can't even play as it hurts my fingers so bad lol, One of these days I will find the UKE and from past experience I think I will know when I do lol.

I love bling on ukes as much as anyone, but for me the uke has to sound and play great and have good workmanship before bling enters the conversation. I would take a plain looking uke that play and sound great over a blingy uke with OK sound and workmanship any day of the week.

Sounds like you're comparing probably the various asian ukes with bling to "basic" models in the Hawaiian brands like KoAloha, etc. Having both I can tell you that there is a definite quality advantage with the latter.

I agree. I just got a Bruce Wei ukulele (setup from Tudrop) and, although for the money it sounds fantastic, the Kamakas and KoAlohas I have owned definitely sounded better.

I hate to admit it, but the KoAloha concert I recently got sounds quite a bit better than the Boat Paddle Custom I got (at least to me). The Boat Paddle has bindings, nicer wood, etc. and cost about $300 more than the KoAloha but if forced to choose between them, I'd take the KoAloha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom