And now for something completely different...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
So, myself being a huge recycler and recycle anything and everything I can for other uses other than it's original purpose.

Subject: Old Ukulele strings.

Your old strings, do you just toss them out, or use them for other purposes? A couple purposes I use them for.

1) String to hang thinks like wind chimes etc.
2) Tie wraps
3) (and probably the weirdest) I cut short lengths on a diagonal and use them as tooth picks to get particles of food out of my teeth.

What do YOU do with old Uke strings?

3) (and probably the weirdest) I cut short lengths on a diagonal and use them as tooth picks to get particles of food out of my teeth.

I hope you clean them well partner, wouldn't want a dirty string to give you periodontal disease.......LOL

To hang x-mas ornaments on the tree...

Though I like the idea of friendship bracelets... With some nice beads, could be very nice

I hope you clean them well partner, wouldn't want a dirty string to give you periodontal disease.......LOL

lol.. Actually that brings up a debate I am an activist on. If I use them for toothpicks I do cut me off a short length and wipe it down. But, sterialize them no I don't. I have never jumped on the "germaphobe" bandwagon most of us are on these days. I don't like nasty, but I never over-obcessed over "germ free". Never have with my kids, and never have since I was a kid. I ate dirt, so did my kids. Kids are simply nasty creatures, lol.. I think the over the top -germaphobe- thing that goes on today is why man kind's immune system is so low and people get sick allot, because of it. I never sterolized my kids toys, and things, and they all are grown, and more healthy and strong than the average adult. I grew up strong and healthy and I ate dirt too.. ;)... I attribute that to letting our immune systems evolve to protect us from nasty things that want to kill us.. hehheh

Gum disease doesn't care about your immune system xD

Guess not. But, I have always flossed somehow, with or without actual floss rather it be a toothpick, wrapped, or not, matchbook cover, peice of paper laying around, or old guitar or uke string. Been doing that for over 35 years or more. I have pretty healthy teeth (for a 50 year old). ;)

I don't like nasty, but I never over-obcessed over "germ free". Never have with my kids, and never have since I was a kid. I ate dirt, so did my kids. Kids are simply nasty creatures, lol.. I think the over the top -germaphobe- thing that goes on today is why man kind's immune system is so low and people get sick allot, because of it.

I agree. In an effort to boost my immune system I go to the mall and lick the handrails on the escalators... LOL

I agree. In an effort to boost my immune system I go to the mall and lick the handrails on the escalators... LOL

YOU were the guy on the up escalator when I was licking the rails on the down side...

I think mine usually make trash bag filler. Don't get me wrong I go out of may way to recycle as much as I can where I live but I never thought about reusing strings. Guess I have something to think about next time I change my strings.

My cat loves to play with a used up aquila C string.

Well guitar steel strings make good Cheese cutters..ha ha..

Yep, I have actually used guitar strings for cutting cheese myself. Also used them in a home made heated foam cutter... Also used them to get a splinter out of my finger..

I guess I get my Recycling from my old Hot Rod hobby. We very commonly use things outside it's intended purpose in Hot Rodding, like using an old Delco starter solenoid as an electric door opener for a hot rod with shaved handles. Stuff like that. So, most of my "re-use" of old trash is not to be "green", but more of a "use what ya got" type of mentality..

Last edited:

Oh stop, I am just getting over being sick and it hurts to laugh.

Top Bottom