I guess I will never be a "tenor man."

OldePhart

Reaction score
If you've read many of my posts you've heard that I'm pretty much married to ukes with soprano sized bodies and concert scale necks - i.e. "longneck soprano." Well, in preparation for my upcoming trek to UWC I figured I'd spend some time exclusively playing my tenors, as it seems most people play tenors up there and I didn't want to be drowned out on my little soprano body ukes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my Mainland mango tenor with MiSi pickup - as far as I love any tenor. But, having just finished four days of playing nothing but tenors (and having played them a lot - to the point that I took a vacation day yesterday and played almost all day long)...and having progressed to where I am actually completely comfortable with the tenor scale length...I have to consider the effort an epic failure.

The instant I strummed one of my longneck sopranos after four solid days of playing tenors exclusively it was as if I'd come home. While I'm perfectly comfortable on a tenor scale, now, nothing can substitute for the sound of a soprano body.

So, I may be the only guy at UWC playing a soprano uke, but my only regeret will be that neither of my longneck sopranos has a pickup.

John

you defiinitely should get you an Ohana SK-30L. It sounds like both Bells and Banjos. its a soprano with a tenor neck as you might realize. it CRANKS but is funky with that soprano sound.

Hey John,
I'm with you on this one...while the tenors have a deep rich sound...I love my soprano traditional sound...Happy Strummings..Have fun at the UWC and take some pic's for us...MM Stan

I'm with you on this one John. I have 2 tenors and just can't get comfortable with the body size, fret spacings, and sound. I want to like them but after playing one and going back to a concert or soprano I always feel so much more comfortable, and my ears are happier too. A tenor to me is a little too guitar like in tone, and I prefer, not only the sound of a smaller bodied uke, but also the appearance. Hmmm, guess I'm just a traditionalist and getting more conservative in my old age... :eek:

Ain't it wonderful smiles come in 4 sizes and many shapes !

sorry for the comment. The vodka made me so uninhibited I said something I shouldn't have.

Last edited:
I have only played a couple tenors that I thought felt right. One a Kanilea and the other a Koaloha 6 string black label. I personally prefer concert scale but like playing sopranos too. I have bought and sold a couple of tenors online and won't buy another unless I play it first.

yah and a buddist like me has to sing about how I love the blood of Jesus to win that mini uke john has omfg! wtf? he don't play no sopranos

A couple of my buddhist buddies just smile when this kind of stuff comes up and say "Buddhism's a lifestyle not a religion anyway -- and most people are Buddhist and just don't know it."

A couple of my buddhist buddies just smile when this kind of stuff comes up and say "Buddhism's a lifestyle not a religion anyway -- and most people are Buddhist and just don't know it."

shucks...how is it that all these threads lately end up talking about ethics and religion? I mean, we go from uke scale lengths to spiritual frustrations in one breath???

I aint no moderator, and maybe it's me, but methinks we should steer away from this topic....again....given some of the recent vitriol. Shaky ground, to be sure.

I aint no moderator, and maybe it's me, but methinks we should steer away from this topic....again....given some of the recent vitriol. Shaky ground, to be sure.
i'm with eugene, best steer clear of conroversy:)

i started on a concert, then got my tenor, only to end up buying another concert after i thought i was stuck on tenors. the smaller scales just seem to draw me in more and more!

Don't forget the :rulez:

Oldphart at least you have brushed up on your tenor size playing so thats a plus.

I started on tenor, went to baritone for a while, then went shopping for a concert about 2 months ago. I almost settled on a nice Kala concert, that at $99 sounded about 98% as good as most any other uke in that store regardless of price. I took one more look around, just in case there was a concert scale soprano. There was! An Anuenue Papa I Longneck. It was enough nicer sounding than the Kala to justify the price, and I have been enjoying it ever since.

Today, I was out and about looking at Ukes in three stores. The $99 kala concert was still at that store, and still sounded better than the Anuenue concert they had. They had an Anuenue Tenor, that sounded good, but not that much better than the Kala concert. The next store had a bunch of nice Ukes. My son tried the Kala Tenor travel Uke. he plays much better than I do, and that Uke sounded great. I was pleased with the Makai concert, with spruce top for $107. High action, but really nice sound and sustain. Finally, at GC I tried the Guitalele again. I love that! If I go tenor size, that will be it. If I go concert, it will be the Makai. I'm looking for a low G Uke to go with my Longneck, which is re entrant. I love the concert scale, but want more body that the soprano body for the Low G sound. Since I mostly plan to play Classical stuff on the Low G Uke, I may just go with the Guitalele, and save the music arranging time .

Anyway, I love the concert scale, and my Anuenue sounds so good, i just might get another one, and set it to low g! But, my experience shows that I really want to play a Uke before buying it. The Kiwayas I saw today were great, but only Soprano scales in stock.

Just of the shelf, the Guitalele spoke to me. Nice sound, felt smooth to play. The Makai concert was a close second, lacking only a good setup, and new strings. The fact it sounded so good with GHS strings actually encourages me.

To conclude all this rambling, I agree with John. If I had to settle on one Uke, it would be the best Longneck Soprano I could afford. And my Anuenue Papa I longneck is enough Uke for me right now. maybe ever. It sounds great, and plays easy for me.

Once I save my pennies, I will settle on the Makai concert or the Guitalele for my second personal Uke. My wife and kids already have all the other Ukes I have purchased so far!

take care,

Tom

Last edited:
I've got nothing against sopranos, but I mostly fingerpick, so I run out of frets on those faster than I can say "crap." So it's to the tenor aisle with me. Good thing there are multiple sizes of ukes, so everyone can find something they like!

John, I agree with you wholeheartedly on the merits of the long-scale soprano. So much so that it's the only soprano we build.

Just the same, you may be missing something. It's not a question of long-neck soprano or tenor. There happens to be a very nice choice in between. Ever give the long-neck concert a whirl?

If you've read many of my posts you've heard that I'm pretty much married to ukes with soprano sized bodies and concert scale necks - i.e. "longneck soprano." Well, in preparation for my upcoming trek to UWC I figured I'd spend some time exclusively playing my tenors, as it seems most people play tenors up there and I didn't want to be drowned out on my little soprano body ukes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my Mainland mango tenor with MiSi pickup - as far as I love any tenor. But, having just finished four days of playing nothing but tenors (and having played them a lot - to the point that I took a vacation day yesterday and played almost all day long)...and having progressed to where I am actually completely comfortable with the tenor scale length...I have to consider the effort an epic failure.

The instant I strummed one of my longneck sopranos after four solid days of playing tenors exclusively it was as if I'd come home. While I'm perfectly comfortable on a tenor scale, now, nothing can substitute for the sound of a soprano body.

So, I may be the only guy at UWC playing a soprano uke, but my only regeret will be that neither of my longneck sopranos has a pickup.

John

John, bring your cord and amp and you can play my MM myrtle super soprano.

Bonita

John, I agree with you wholeheartedly on the merits of the long-scale soprano. So much so that it's the only soprano we build.

Just the same, you may be missing something. It's not a question of long-neck soprano or tenor. There happens to be a very nice choice in between. Ever give the long-neck concert a whirl?

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to bring this up. I have a KoAloha Super-Concert and it is aeyond a doubt a pleasure to play and sounds wonderful. Mine is tuned low-g (Worths) and I love recording it along with the Pineapple Sunday.

I sort of have the same problem, but in the other direction. I can barely play anything except a baritone. Once I get my hand around the wider neck and the generous fret spacing, I am in heaven. I think the sound is perfect for swing and jazz as is the overall playability. Half-diminished and 13 chords can be a real hassle on the smaller scales.

As a collector, I have to admit that I get a bit jealous, sometimes. The interesting selection of baritones in the world can be so limited. Probably because didn't exist before 1940.

I have played all the scales and for several years felt tenor was best suited to my reach, style and finger size. Soprano and convcert felt too cramped. But of late I've been playing baritone more than anything else... I miss being able to reach frets that I can easily hit on the tenor, but I love the lower pitch and fuller sound.

Top Bottom