New Wound String Sets from Southcoast

southcoastukes

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is a fun year for us. We're starting to get our new standard line of instruments up here, and we're getting a whole new group of string sets on line as well.

The first batch to be complete are our wound string sets. The are all Linear sets (in other words low 4th). They are designed for our 4-string guitars, and some of them will only work in standard tunings on those instruments (flatwound Bass Guitar set & G23 round wound set).

On the other hand, the majority are great on ukuleles - we feel they are superior to anything else out there.

Anything with the name "G650" is designed for key of G on a guitar length scale. That translates to key of C (g - c' - e' - a') for standard Tenor Ukuleles. They all offer a pair of wound strings as opposed to a single wound. This gives much better balance and a much better 4-3 transition. With our sets, you don't have that droning single wound string sounding like a duck out of water.

G650 Round Wounds feature a pair of polished wound strings (for less squeak). At the same time, our 4th string is formulated to be extremely durable. These strings will last much longer than you may be used to, and our selection has given them great balance.

We also have two sets of G650 flat wound sets which feature the first completely noisless wound strings for a classical built instrument. As well as being "squeak-free", they have a very soft tone for a wound string. One set pairs two flat wound bass strings with two conventional trebles, while the other is the first all metal set designed for a 4-string instrument with classical construction. These both can give spectacular sound on the right instrument.

Finally we have a set of polished round wound strings in 5ths. That is to say in 5 note intervals instead of 4 note intervals like a ukulele or guitar. These are the common tunings for the violin and mandolin family. It's not easy to formulate these in classical, as opposed to metal, but we feel this set hits just the right balance. On our Plectrum guitar this gives Octave Mandolin tuning, but on a Tenor Ukulele, it will give CGDA, the original Tenor Guitar tuning. You mando players can now have yourself a little classical strung Tenor Guitar.

I think you'll be very pleased with any of these new sets. Questions / comments are welcome, or contact me directly.

Thanks,
Dirk

Last edited:
Aloha Dirk,
How is the tension and guage for playability on these strings..is it a softer compound....and volume range??? thanks Stan

Good morning Stan and thanks for the question -

As to tension and playability, all three of the G650s are perfect for Tenor Ukuleles in the key of C.

Now whether or not you like wound strings on a Tenor is another question entirely, but if that's the sound you're looking for, you may as well do it right. Frankly the offerings in wound sets for ukulele are not at all pleasant. These sets are light years ahead in quality and sound.

As to volume, a pair of wound strings gives great volume, but the balance that set-up provides means that it never sounds harsh or overpowering. It's a smooth tone, and you'll find yourself playing at any volume with more confidence. A lot of folks playing a single wound set-up back off the 4th string (sometimes unconciously) in order to keep it in line. With this balanced set-up, you play easily and normally.

As far as the material, the G650 round wounds and the Linear set in 5ths are standard wound string material. It's just that the 4th string is more durable, and both are polished for less squeak. The two flat wound sets (no squeak) are indeed made from a softer compound than strings for a steel strung instrument, and in addition, the core is wound in a way that also allows it to flex. Wonderful innovation - wonderful strings.

In the next day or two, I'll be reworking the Combo Packs page, so if you want to try out more than one set, you get a discount.

A word to the Baritone folks. None of these strings are designed for key of G on a 20" scale. We have some reports of people using the G23 sets that way with success, but as the name implies, G23s are really designed to play key of G on the Tenor Guitar scale (23").

You can still play these sets on a Baritone, and we think you'll get much better sound than you do with high density Baritone strings. To get the best tension, you'd tune G23s up to the key of A, and G650s up to B flat. If you try it, I think you'll be extremely happy, as the range of notes for these keys will actually make a Baritone respond much better than key of G.

Last edited:
Hello everyone -

The new Wound String Combo packs are now online. These give you a discount if you're wanting to test out more than one set.

Also changed are the Standard Ukulele Set Combos - more sets are now included in the Combo option. Here they are:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/combopacks.htm

Thanks for your patience on this one.

Dirk

Hi Dirk: Interesting new sets you are presenting. This reply doesn't really address these particular strings, but a related thought. I am a big fan of your wound strings, and I know I am in the minority on uke wound strings, but I believe most uke players just haven't tried your type of wounds. They are different and sound and last better than any I have ever used. My problem is this. I actually like low G C tuning on my baritones, but I have never been too pleased with the carbon 4th string for G (even yours :)) , so I use the 3rd wound string from the G23 set as my 4th string for the G string. It works well for me and I love the sound. My question is, finally, do you sell the 3rd wound from the G23 as a single string( or on the purchase of a linear set can the 3rd wound from G23 be substituted for the 4th linear string? at a different cost of course) . and is there a wound C string that will work on a baritone? I know this doesn't tightly fit this thread, but thought I might sneak it in. Thanks!! Lozark

Last edited:
Hello lozark,

I believe most uke players just haven't tried your type of wounds. They are different and sound and last better than any I have ever used

First, thanks for the compliment. Our wound strings are definitely a cut above anything else you can get.

As to a Flouro vs. Wound low 4th string, it really is a personal preference. We have fairly strong opinions on a lot of set-ups, but with low 4th ukulele sets, it is pretty much a matter of the kind of sound you want.

Had to give your request a lttle thought - even strung up a few samples, but they just proved my initial assumption to be correct. Here's my take on that Linear C set-up for Baritones with wound string(s).

I can't really come up with what I consider a good thin wound 3rd string. We don't offer sets with a single wound 4th - it's just not a very well balanced set-up - the bright wound 4th next to a thick "nylon" 3rd can never be very satisfactory.

Just the same, doing it in key of C on the 20" Baritone scale is not quite as bad. The 3rd string is thinner than on the shorter scale ukes, and therefore more lively. Just the same, I would advise you to look at the G650 sets.

There comes a point where you need to prioritize. We builders always like to put sound first. There is simply no better sounding ukulele with a wound string set-up than a Baritone tuned to B flat. G is actually too deep for that body. C and A are better, but B flat is the "sweet spot". Various sound samples are at the bottom of this page:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/inters.htm

If you know that the Baritone is your instrument, then take the time to transpose your arrangements. If you play solo, then you don't even need to do that. Pick any one of the G650 sets and get gorgeous sound without changing a thing. You'll play the same way, but your instrument will simply have a different pitch.

If, however, you are entrenched in C tuning, for whatever reason, and prefer it, we can substitute a wound string for the 4th on our no-wound set. You actually made an excellent choice with the 3rd of the G23 set, but we have one that will probably blend even better with the somewhat soft tone we gave the Linear no-wound set. It is a string that we are probably using as the 1st course low octave string in our upcoming 6-string ukulele set, and it has a softer tone. If this is the way you want to go, then when you see the 6-string set come on line, send me a message, and we'll figure the price.

Last edited:
Aloha Dirk,
Thank you for your quick response...and information....soon as my strings wear out I will get some...I usually am in the Bb range in dropped tuning...I was always waiting for a softer
compund strings with good volume range.. Mahalo, Stan

Top Bottom