What is your favorite Soprano?

iDavid

Reaction score
I've been having some hand "problems" and think a soprano made be in order.

Not looking for an entry model, or one that cost 2 grand. I would like one that will be the one and only soprano that I need. Kind of like my KoAloha concert.

It will mainly be for sing-alongs with the family, so it needs to be on the loud side.

Mya Moe. My daily player and the sweetest sounding uke I've ever played, irrespective of scale length. You can buy one of their tradition models for 700. Next choice, and similar price range, would be a Kamaka Pineapple. Third (and slightly cheaper) option would be a Black Bear. If you're looking for sheer volume, hard to go past a flea or a Ohana vita uke. Happy shopping David! So many lovely ukes out there to choose from! :)

aNueNue Vision 1879... Nunes vintage reproduction... just love it. This one has become my go-to ukulele. I think the only thing that would bump it from that slot would be a DaSilva Santo reproduction.

Ken Timms :)

My fav is a Hamano (a great Martin copy that sounds wonderful in "D" tuning) but for volume and value, I have to say that Ohana has the loudest and best make ukes for the money (in the $150-$300 price range).

Ukes are like potato chips, no body can have just one :D ................. even for sopranos!

Good luck on the search. I'll through more in the mix, a Martin or Kiwaya.

Did you want a regular soprano or a long neck? Not sure which I prefer.

I've been having some hand "problems" and think a soprano made be in order.

Not looking for an entry model, or one that cost 2 grand. I would like one that will be the one and only soprano that I need. Kind of like my KoAloha concert.

It will mainly be for sing-alongs with the family, so it needs to be on the loud side.

David,
I think with your current stable of ukes, you need to look into KoAloha (especially if you want a long neck soprano) or somethink similar. I wouldn't even look at imports, cause while they are nice, they aren't the same. I say this b/c I just got my mainland concert back yesterday and though I loved it, after spending 30 minutes playing it, I put it down for the Mele. Imports are decent but once you go high end, you don't go back.

I agree, KoAloha. Easy to play, bright, loud, resonant . . .

Edit: Do love my Kamaka soprano too but you already know that you love the KoAloha sound, playability etc.

Last edited:
I'll second the Kiwaya. Great balance. You can push it for more volume and it feels great in your hands. Classic looks. Hard to beat. I also like the kamaka pineapple but it feels a bit bigger.

I had a Koaloha soprano once and loved it until I got my Kamaka standard soprano, which I thought had a far superior sound. If I had it to do over, I'd go straight for a Kamaka Pineapple soprano though.

I have to agree with the recommendations for a Kamaka pineapple, but I do love my Ohana Vita too it's hard to beat for the money.

Mya Moe. My daily player and the sweetest sounding uke I've ever played, irrespective of scale length. You can buy one of their tradition models for 700. Next choice, and similar price range, would be a Kamaka Pineapple. Third (and slightly cheaper) option would be a Black Bear. If you're looking for sheer volume, hard to go past a flea or a Ohana vita uke. Happy shopping David! So many lovely ukes out there to choose from! :)

Some Black Bear sopranos on FM right now. never played one but folks seem to be happy with them. nice price too. kind of wish I'd bought one of the concerts that recently sold there.

OK from the cheap seats, how about the Kala Soprano Travel uke?

It has a surprisingly loud sound coming from such a thin body.

I really like the form factor and the snug padded gig bag.

When I'm walking the sidewalks of Waikiki I actually have my Travel uke
hanging around my neck like a necklace. I have a dog leash from which
I've created a single loop and I attach it to the handle and just hang it
around my neck.

Anyway, here's a vote for the Kala Soprano Travel uke.

Keep uke'in',

If I had the money in my uke budget, I would first own a Koaloha soprano with a concert neck, or a classic Martin. Next, I would own my current Ohana SK-35 (or one of its sisters like the SK-38). I really have no great desire for anything else in the soprano line, and I have played quite a few.

David,

Are you looking for a Martin-kind-of sound, a 'modern' instrument sound, or 'Hawaiian' sound in your soprano?

If you are looking for a smooth 'modern' sound I like Kanile'a or Boat Paddle.

There are so many great choices out there at all price points. I think the Kiwaya (especially the KTS-4) would be a terrific choice. The price is not over the top and they are wonderful instruments. They are light as a feather with a rich tone and great projection. Intonation is dead on. Action, feel, frets are all fantastic. Balance is superb with a fantastic ringing tone with great sustain. It is an all around great instrument that has a vintage vibe with none of the issues that one often has to deal with in a vintage instrument. I have had some custom ukes that I have not enjoyed playing as much.

You can heat Ken Middleton playing one on some of the samples here

http://kenmiddleton.co.uk/MP3.aspx

My Pre-war vintage Martin O......I'll match volume with any soprano with a traditional hourglass body.

I would like one that will be the one and only soprano that I need. Kind of like my KoAloha concert.

I'd say you've just answered your own question - if you want something kind of like your KoAloha concert, you're probably not going to get anything closer than a KoAloha soprano. Not that Kamakas aren't great, too, but when I find something I like I tend to stick to it.

John

IMHO a vintage Martin is the soprano uke to have if you are going to have only one soprano. But who can stop at just one? If you have a chance to try one you will know why.

If I had the money in my uke budget, I would first own a Koaloha soprano with a concert neck, ...

Yep, have to +1 that choice. I just forced myself to play nothing but tenors for four days (long story). I'd intended to shoot for the full week+ leading up to when I leave for UWC but 4 days was as long as I could keep my hands off my KoAloha and Kiwaya longneck sopranos.

John

Top Bottom