? for the finger pickers

freedive135

Reaction score
When playin a song like "Pineapple Mango" do you pick with just your thumb or do you use a finger/thumb for each string??

Should I be learning to do both???
It looks like you real good player's are doing both on the video's I have watched.

thumb-g string
pointer-c string
middle-e string
ring-a string

I have been trying both ways on the "Hawaii 78" Intro from Dom's site, thanks for that!!!!!

I agree with 14twelve, whatever feels right for you is right enough.

I typically use my thumb and 3 fingers, but I frequently switch off and play just thumb and middle, or thumb and 2 fingers...it all depends on what I'm playing. I don't move my thumb fast enough to get away with using just the thumb, but there are a number of great players out there that prove that the thumb is all you need.

As far as Pineapple Mango and White Sandy Beach, I use the thumb+3 for both songs.

I'd say try both until you find one to be more in-tune with your style, then woodshed to master it....haha

I use the thumb and three fingers. The thumb is great because you have the nail and the fleshy part of the finger to strum with and you can alter your attack on the strings to the music.

For the most part, I thumb the GC strings and index the EA strings with numerous exceptions.

Top Bottom