For you Knitter's out there: A felted uke case pattern!!!

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So excited for this! The uke of Truth, is SO getting a case like this...

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss11/PATThanahou.php

Felted items are wonderful. When made of natural wool (which they have to be or other natural fibers) they are waterproof!

I bet this will encourage some of you to learn how to knit. I can only picture the options in my head! I am in the middle of two projects by by July I will be knitting this!

What do you all think?

hey fitncrafty!

Love em both mate. Just beautiful. For me I prefer the bottom one with the lime green and blue stripe arrangement (and the lil pocket)...just substitute em for orange and brown and it's good day sunshine. The Uke of Truth needs one of them thar felt carry bags for sure. Encourage me how to learn to knit...he he...not likely matey, but I do know how to make eugenie's brow knit though :eek: ...Amazing that something like that could be waterproof. Can't wait to see what you come up with you crafty thing!!! :)

Yeah, I saw it almost immediately after Uke Hunt retweeted it yesterday. I really like it, but I have a concert uke and there's only soprano & tenor sizes, and I'm also worried about lint making its way into my open geared tuners and also winding around the strings. I figured it would probably be best to make a fabric lining for it as well, but I haven't looked at the construction of the pattern closely enough to see how difficult it would be to get the lining in and around all the curves inside. I may still consider making one in the future though.

I love it!!! I have wanted to re-learn to knit but now have carpel tunnel so have to save my hands for ukulele playing and earning a living. Carrie maybe you could start a little cottage industry making them for us uu members, eh?

thats a nifty idea but i dont think my hands could stand up to that either. ive had the idea to sew a bag thoguh out of material.

I know a lot of knitters (former knitter myself, hands can't take it anymore) and I had probably a half-dozen friends volunteer to make one of those for me this week. I love the striped one and think it's a great idea, but - would felted wool against koa be a good thing? I think it might end in disaster.

Woah! Very cool! I wish I could knit! I can only crochet... very poorly. haha Def post pics when you get around to knitting the case!

Woah! Very cool! I wish I could knit! I can only crochet... very poorly. haha Def post pics when you get around to knitting the case!

Once you felted it down, no one would ever know that the stitches weren't perfect. You could probably just guess at the pattern, and do it in rows of half-doubles. You'd just need to felt a test swatch to measure the shrinkage, so you know how big to make it initially. (some math required)

I made a felted bucket bag with crochet before, it turned into a very thick, sturdy fabric after I threw it in the washer. I used Lion Brand wool, because there were so many fun colors.

I'm feeling inspired! I think I trip to Michael's might be in store for me tomorrow.

Former knitter here too...well, I still have a huge amount of stash that has yet to be de-stashed (YAS?), but my knitting & purling have been replaced with strumming & picking. :D If you've got a sewing machine, you could make one out of old wool sweaters and either felt before or after. If you're not sure how much the wool will shrink or your sewing machine can't handle thicker fabrics e.g. the felted wool. Make sure you don't use washable wool or wool that has been bleached or synthetics/mixed as those won't felt properly.

Hope everyone enjoys this pattern, I am working on the colors that I want to use for mine, then I will get shopping! Can't wait. Please share your finished projects.

I don't think I would worry much about the uke getting scratched. However I don't think it would be that hard to sew a fabric lining in.
Have fun everyone, I think it's going to be a fun project!

I feel like a dunce! I never clicked on that pattern when I glanced over that issue - I thought it was a wine bottle cozy! I might have to make one for my makala, I've been thinking of sewing a new cover/case for it, but this is more fun :)

Too many projects to take on another, but thank you, will file away as a maybe in the future.

Aloha Fitncrafty,
Are you teasing us..wow wee....I just love the red one's design....ordering one now girl!!!! MM Stan

Those are totally cool. I'd get in line to buy one if you are knitting. I just don't have time for another hobby.

I feel like a dunce! I never clicked on that pattern when I glanced over that issue - I thought it was a wine bottle cozy! I might have to make one for my makala, I've been thinking of sewing a new cover/case for it, but this is more fun :)

That made me giggle.. This is definitely more fun. Plus I get to shop for new yarn.. first to check out my stash.. OOOhhh I can't wait!

Top Bottom