Abalone inlay

Best to shellac the area before gluing. Its always a risk when applying CA on spruce. A quick coat of shellac will seal it and sand off cleanly. Its a nice trick for inlays and bindings.

Best to shellac the area before gluing. Its always a risk when applying CA on spruce. A quick coat of shellac will seal it and sand off cleanly. Its a nice trick for inlays and bindings.

Thanks for the tip!....I will give it a try on my next inlay

Sounds like CA staining to me. Essential that you seal the end grain of soft woods before using it. You can use either shellac or HHG. Oh, and CA makes a real mess on Cedar and Sequoia if you don't seal the edges.

Sounds like CA staining to me. Essential that you seal the end grain of soft woods before using it. You can use either shellac or HHG. Oh, and CA makes a real mess on Cedar and Sequoia if you don't seal the edges.

Thanks Allen

Hi Tattwo

Is it a possibility that the abalone was dyed (to enhance colors, maybe?) The dye may have been dissolved into the glue/solvent and stained the surrounding wood?

Cheers
Chief

Hi Tattwo

Is it a possibility that the abalone was dyed (to enhance colors, maybe?) The dye may have been dissolved into the glue/solvent and stained the surrounding wood?

Cheers
Chief

Ive had wood yellow from the CA but this has quite a green color to it. I have a few more pieces of it. I think I'll hit them with solvent and see .

Thanks Chief

I did another engelmann spruce top sealing it before gluing in the abalone this time. It came out perfect clean and white. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions

Top Bottom