what books do you recommend for kids?

DustyElmer

Reaction score
my 7 year old nephew wants to learn to play the uke! so i'm teaching him, but i was wondering what some good books are that are geared towards kids? thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The James Hill series is great and designed with kids in mind.
The "Ukulele in the Classroom" covers everything and is designed to be taught not really a self teaching series.
The "Play Ukulele Today" is a watered down, but complete, version. Can be used either by a teacher or self directed program.

Kids are individuals so this may not apply to your nephew at all but my granddaughter is seven, also. I've found what seems to be working best with her is to let her make her own book (she's really into keeping journals and stuff, part of her homeschooling regimen). Anyway, she's got one section of a notebook where she writes down the stuff I teach her in her own hand as I introduce her to new stuff. Chord diagrams, etc. When she gets bored with going over what we've already learned she'll come and ask me to teach her something new. Last night I helped her write down the chord sequence for a 12 barre blues in A (substituting D6 and E6 for D7 and E7 because she's small for her age and just can't quite get those yet).

John

Last edited:
Kids are individuals so this may not apply to your nephew at all but my granddaughter is seven, also. I've found what seems to be working best with her is to let her make her own book (she's really into keeping journals and stuff, part of her homeschooling regimen). Anyway, she's got one section of a notebook where she writes down the stuff I teach her in her own hand as I introduce her to new stuff. Chord diagrams, etc. When she gets bored with going over what we've already learned she'll come and ask me to teach her something new. Last night I helped her write down the chord sequence for a 12 barre blues in A (substituting D6 and E6 for D7 and E7 because she's small for her age and just can't quite get those yet).

John

Yeah, what he said!

These are all great suggestions and resources!

Thanks so much for starting this thread, dusty and to all contributors!

I also love the James Hill series.

With my ukulele kids class, they loved:

1) singing a song they all picked together (Alicia Keys' No One)
2) writing a song of their own using the same chords
3) writing that collaborative song with words from their "Artist Journal" where they'd write 5 things every day that made them happy.

Top Bottom