Who likes Satin over Gloss?

ItsAMeCasey

Reaction score
Not me that's for sure lol! I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who would rather have a satin finished uke over a gloss finished one. It seems like everyone loves the gloss finish!

I like my satin finish Mainland tenor. I thought the satin would give a more traditional look and I am really happy with it. I like gloss too.

I've heard say that satin is better for solid woods as it leaves the wood grain open and it doesn't add any weight or thickness... but I'm still a sucker for shiny!

With modern poly finish the sound difference is essentially non-existant. It's fundamentally the same stuff molecularly - shiny or flat. Note, that is a general statement and is not true for all finish techniques.

As for me, dead flat as I can get it. One word - fingerprints. I don't really clean or polish my instruments, just dust 'em when I change strings. So shiny = ugly smeared crap when stage lights hit it. One less thing to futz with.

Agree it depends on the uke. Some look better in satin, some look better in gloss. Gloss does get your attention though!

I love the durability of the gloss finish of my K1T. Sounds great and with the exception of a few minor dings, looks like the day I bought it. I guarantee I would have scratched the heck out of satin as I was maybe advanced beginner when I bought it.

I prefer satin. But I wouldn't try to dull the finish of a nice glossy uke. I do order satin if it is available.

Six of one, a half a dozen of the other. I like them both best. Can't decide.

I definitely prefer gloss -- in some scenarios. My UV finish Kanilea has tons of fingerprints and drives me crazy. My gloss finish Kamaka (which I actually had them refinish from satin) doesn't show fingerprints at all. So for the Kamaka, it was well worth it for me as the gloss brings out the curl in the koa much more than the satin did.

Four satin ukes and two satin acoustic guitars. While I'll keep buying satin over gloss, I'm not happy with the tendency of satin on spruce top guitars to a develop "stained" areas where the arm rests on the lower bout.

I prefer satin. Fingerprints are no problem- less polishing needed, and it doesn't show small superficial scratches as much. Plus it gives it a more simplistic look that I prefer- crazy me:). Oh yeah, and also- I think oxidation of any kind seems less noticeable on satin.

Last edited:
wow, i'm surprised there's actually a lot of people who prefer satin over gloss.. Guess I was wrong lol!

I'd say satin for darker woods (mahogany) and gloss for lighter woods (spruce, mango, acacia) but that is just me.

Satin- hands down. The uke I play the most is a gloss, but it slips away from me when I really get going, and I often find that I hang it up for a satin one out of frustration (but always go back to it)

satin finish

Not me that's for sure lol! I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who would rather have a satin finished uke over a gloss finished one. It seems like everyone loves the gloss finish!

not me. I prefer the satin. Gloss looks like crap IMO. If I have to have a uke with a gloss the less the best.

Top Bottom