Homemade Classical Guitar/Ukulele Strap

Fred Miu

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
i went to guitar center last night, wanted a classical guitar strap, turns out they were out of stock and wont be getting shipments for a while. i didnt want to wait for a shipment that they dont even know when will ever be made.

this morning all of a sudden, making a classical ukulele(in this case) strap would be my best way. so i thought i would post this up so that others can make one if they desire.

what you need:
-one (or 2) lanyards that you dont use. reason why i said or 2, was because you might mess up haha.
-pliers
-hot glue gun
-and a place to do this, backyard is perfect

since i already made my strap before i thought of posting it, heres the picture:

since i dont have anymore lanyards to destroy, im going to use one to show you where to cut, bend, and glue.

i first took the lanyard that i never use, then take the small clippy part of it of by bending the big hook part out SLIGHTLY so you can get the little part out to cut it with pliers.

then you bend the end part of the metal part back so that all is left with the big hook part of the lanyard.

then i glue gunned the inside of the metal hook so that it is gentle and doesnt scratch my ukulele from the bottom. and TA-DA!!! homemade ukulele strap.

here are pictures:

these are what you need.

this is what you are going to make your strap with.

bend out this part of the lanyard first.

then bend this metal thing and clip it off.

Last edited:
pictures continued:

the metal hook part will look like this, then start hot gluing!

what it should look like after you finish hot gluing.

Shaka!!!

Last edited:
nice diy and very resourceful! haha using the government book under the glue gun

haha its actually one of those people who are like in a cult that are really into the government and what not.

heres a video of what the ukulele strap, sorry i didnt post earlier, i worked all day: ghetto uke strap

Last edited:
very very nice, i now have plans this weekend :)

Wow thats really neat and looks incredibly easy. I'm gonna have to make myself of those badboys. Thanks for the great idea!

maybe buy some "plasti-dip" at home depot...it might be way easier than playing with the glue gun.

plastidip.jpg

The problem with "Plasti-dip" is it's REAL expensive. So for one tiny dip you'll be paying thru the nose. Anybody got any cheaper alternatives?

The problem with "Plasti-dip" is it's REAL expensive. So for one tiny dip you'll be paying thru the nose. Anybody got any cheaper alternatives?

i think I paid $6 at home depot...and i've coated all sorts of stuff with it...so if that's gonna break the budget, you might wanna invest in a glue gun...

Awesome, very clever, and I think worthy of MVOW material, and what the heck, even would have been a contender for the Play it forward Video contest. Nicely done Fred.

Awesome, very clever, and I think worthy of MVOW material, and what the heck, even would have been a contender for the Play it forward Video contest. Nicely done Fred.

its too late for the play it forward, and i dont have lanyards anymore haha

but i made this with HOUSEHOLD ITEMS, not store bought stuff.

Ya know, I think I just might have a lanyard from work lying around, and I know I have a glue gun somewhere. Now, if I just have enough glue...

Top Bottom