Any suggestions on fixing a crack?

Bao

Reaction score
I've noticed that after receiving my solid wood ukulele (new) that it had a crack at where the input jack is. I'm guess it's due to overtightening the screws?
But anyway, it's a pretty minor crack but i would rather it be fixed now so that it won't crack some more in the future, any suggestions?

post a picture of the crack and we might be able to give ya some suggestion... It would depend on if there is still stress on the wood there, or not. Priority is to relieve any stress that might be on the wood and crack. if you don't, it will crack again.

If it's a crack where a screw is, then fill it with glue and remove the screw. Once the glue is dried the crack should be stable, but you should find another place to screw it in. If it's a new uke, I'd recommend exchanging it.

shucks Bao...if it brand new, I would have thought it well within your rights to report damage in transit to the seller and ask for a replacement. It's not your fault and you shouldn't have to deal with this issue as it's been bought new.

Well since it's a pretty minor crack (REALLY thin and about 3 cms in length?), you can barely notice it. I think that it's not worth the trouble of shipping it back to hawaii and getting a new one sent, what if the next one is in worse condition? Then yeah, i'll be regretting it ahah.
I shall try the youtube link's idea when i gather the material, Thanks everyone.

Well since it's a pretty minor crack (REALLY thin and about 3 cms in length?), you can barely notice it. I think that it's not worth the trouble of shipping it back to hawaii and getting a new one sent, what if the next one is in worse condition? Then yeah, i'll be regretting it ahah.
I shall try the youtube link's idea when i gather the material, Thanks everyone.
3cm is pretty bad for a screw crack. With humidy and temp changes cracks usually get worse over time if not taken care of properly not to mention the stress of having a cable attached to the input jack. I'd have it fixed professionally if you want to keep it. It will probably require using a syringe to get the glue in there or at worst opening the crack a bit more to get the glue in. I'd return it since this could be something that comes back to haunt you later and cost a lot more to fix.

Top Bottom