Left hand help: seven fret pinky stretch

gritstone

Reaction score
I'm comfortable with a five fret stretch for my left hand, but I'm finding a seven fret stretch too much (on a tenor) - any suggestions on how to improve my hand stretch technique.

Practice.x 1000

Or maybe a smaller size would fit your hands better ?

Practice - yes I will.
Smaller size, no - I love my tenors, and sold on my concerts (apart from one).

I found an alternative, at least in the tune I've having this issue with - I can use another string, so instead of trying fret 3 & 8, I can use the same notes by fretting 10(different string) & 8.

(I know - that's only 6 frets - I can't count in the mornings!).

Why would you want to do a seven fret stretch? Find a different inversion if it's a chord or find a better route if it's a solo run.

Why would you want to do a seven fret stretch? Find a different inversion if it's a chord or find a better route if it's a solo run.

Sometimes you have to do the big stretch. That the way the song is done. Stretching takes a lot of practice. I think I can do 6 frets now. Maybe 7 -- I have a concert. It's all about practice, practice, practice.

Are you pulling our finger??? ha ha Maybe you need to pull your own finger...lol only kidding...ha ha

I can do it on my Concert and my hands are TINY.

Practice, or get a Concert, or get a Tenor with a Concert neck.

Or, re-form the chord in some other way :)

For big stretches, there is a tendency to try and still keep your pointer finger parallel to the frets. Try to angle a little more (your pointer and pinky should form a large \ / shape rather than | / shape). Not sure if this is relevant to your particular situation but hopefully it helps!

I played guitar since the mid-60s. The stretch on my left hand, all fingers fully extended, is greater than an inch more than that of my right hand. Comes with practice. It's like evolution: each incerase is small and unnoticeable, but after a long time, a change is evident. Sort of like the change from one species to another. And like evolutionary change, the more you practice stretching, the faster it will occur. Unless, of course, you believe the world is only 10,000 years old, in which case you will never, ever get a proper reach.... ;-)

Top Bottom