The banjo bug...uh oh.

elisdad

Reaction score
I received my Mainland banjo uke last week and I am really enjoying it. In preparation for ordering it, I started practicing different banjo rolls and then got interested in clawhamer/frailing style of playing. In doing so, I found a fantastic beginner video series online by Patrick Costello and his father: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dobro33H#g/c/1AD8E1D90CC47470. He also has a free book online, "The How and Dao of Old-Time banjo". I am making slow, steady progress, but here is the rub....

Now I want a real banjo. Has this happened to anyone else?

Best explanation of the clawhammer stroke I've seen yet. I'm still struggling with it but I think this video will help. Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting a "real" banjo, but I think I'll stick with uke. Still have a lifetime of music to make on uke and uke banjo.

i had the opposite happen to me! started playing clawhammer banjo and ventured into the banjo-uke. i say give the banjo a shot, it's an amazing instrument.

Yep. Got a gourd banjo uke. Loved the sound. However, it was the bluegrass technique I was attracted to, not clawhammer. I bought an actual resonator banjo a couple of weeks ago. Banjos are awesome. (Don't worry; I still think ukes are awesome too. I play a number of musical instruments and feel that they are all awesome. The uke was one of my first, so it has seniority, along with the piano.)

Banjo ukes seem pretty cool. I have only tried a couple in a music store once, and that gut/nylon feel is definitely more interesting to me than the steel string thing. Fact is, I'm getting rid of my steel string guitars now, in order to get a classical/spanish one. Wonder how a nylon string piano would sound though...lol.

I have two banjo ukes and desperately want a banjo...do not desperately want to pay a grand for one. Someday.

I have two banjo ukes and desperately want a banjo...do not desperately want to pay a grand for one. Someday.

They're expensive, yeah. There are some good lower-priced starter banjos by Deering (the Goodtimes) and Gold Tone, however. They're not "lower-priced" in comparison to ukuleles, of course, but if you're into clawhammer and therefore want a non-resonator model,you can pick up a Gold Tone Cripple Creek for under $300 or a Goodtime for under $400. The Goodtimes are especially well made; they have guitar-style geared tuners and would therefore probably upset accomplished banjo players, but they're excellent for beginning and intermediate players. (I'm not at all an expert, but I've done some research and now own a Goodtime II Special, a model with a resonator and tone ring.)

I have a Deering Goodtime 5 string in the closet. Got it a few years ago, inexpensive and very loud even without resonator. I should dig it out and either play it or trade it for another uke, haha!

I have a Deering Goodtime 5 string in the closet. Got it a few years ago, inexpensive and very loud even without resonator. I should dig it out and either play it or trade it for another uke, haha!

Maybe you should sell it to TCK. I am pleased with my Goodtime thus far.

No, you are definately not alone friend. My experience is actually flipped thouhg- I've been playing banjo for a few years and just recently got the uke bug. Both are fantatsic instruments though, and both are keeping my poor guitar locked away in its case for now. I figure that I'll eventually venture into the world of banjo ukes, but first I want become a little more proficent in both instruments before attempting to combine them ;)

Those Costello tutorials are excellent, I went through the whole playlist one day not too long ago. I need to rewatch some of those again, as my meager clawhammer skills are stagnating.

i just picked up the banjo too (got an gold tone cripple creek) and i found its a great fit for a uke player. i LOVE dailyfrail and everything pat costello does, it's been a great help w the clawhammer.

I received my Mainland banjo uke last week and I am really enjoying it. In preparation for ordering it, I started practicing different banjo rolls and then got interested in clawhamer/frailing style of playing. In doing so, I found a fantastic beginner video series online by Patrick Costello and his father: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dobro33H#g/c/1AD8E1D90CC47470. He also has a free book online, "The How and Dao of Old-Time banjo". I am making slow, steady progress, but here is the rub....

Now I want a real banjo. Has this happened to anyone else?

Best explanation of the clawhammer stroke I've seen yet. I'm still struggling with it but I think this video will help. Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting a "real" banjo, but I think I'll stick with uke. Still have a lifetime of music to make on uke and uke banjo.
So guess what I went shopping for today. Yup an open back 5 string banjo. Strange territory for me. I didn't buy today but probably will on the next few weeks. Looks like we went down the same path!

I've got an old no-name Tenor Banjo. Great instrument (after a little work). They're 4-stringers, and about the same scale as a Baritone Uke.

Nonetheless, I've found that if you want to "uke 'em", they sound great in high rentrant GCEA.

It's a high tuning - one that is well suited to the projection you get from a drum bodied banjo.

Aquila is a good choice: Go here for gauges (Baritone GCEA - at bottom):

http://www.aquilacorde.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=1656&lang=en

But you'll need longer lengths on a banjo. For those go here:

http://www.aquilausa.com/ng_strings.html

One thing about these old Tenor Banjos (and probably most of the new ones too), is that the necks are narrow. They're meant for rythym playing, barre chords and such.

If that's what you're looking for, this is a great choice in a band setting - they'll cut over just about anything else!

Top Bottom