Ohana SK38 vs. Martin S1

garyg

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has compared these two ukes? Any opinions out there? cheers, g2

I can't compare both but I have the sk38. I have played a lot of vintages and that is what it sounds like. Very classic tiny tim type. The finish is pre antiqued which I think is very cool. Not perfect on purpose. I wouldn't be too surprised if they sound very similar. I thought of taking they ohana wording off the headstock so that u wouldn't be able to tell it wasnt a martin. Very cool new-vintage uke.

I think - based on sound and feel - I prefer the SK-38 to the S1. They're very different. Between the SK-38 and my old Martin Style O, they're different. The Ohana really rings, and though the Martin doesn't quite have that same volume, it's got a tone that's just amazing. SK-38 beats the S1, but the vintage O and the SK-38 are too different to call.

The Ohana sounds more like the vintage Martin-1 than the S-1 does. The S-1 is a nicely made uke, but compare that to the new high-end ukes and you will see that Martin is still trying to win the hearts of vintage model lovers with what appears to be a modern effort at producing what they made in the 1920s and 30s... with a little thicker top and heavier bracing to make them more durable. They are not as lively as the old vintage ukes. In that way, neither is the Ohana, but it sounds great and is built to last. It is plenty loud enough, too.

...but it sounds great and is built to last. It is plenty loud enough, too.

Hi Mickey...which one were you referring to (the Ohana or the Martin)?

I have the SK-38 and like it a bunch. It sounds very much like my 1930s Favilla U-2 soprano. The new Martin S1 has caught my eye, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one to try out. I too will be interested in what other think about it.

Top Bottom