OT? Tom Waits, Edinburgh, 28th July

Futch

Reaction score
Ok, I wasn't sure where to put this exactly so I just put it here for now...

I little while ago I mentioned that I was going to see Tom Waits in Edinburgh. Raindog asked me to post my experience of the concert. Well Ive been a little busy of late, but here it is now.

I am a poor graduate, but upon hearing that Tom Waits was going to tour, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see my favorite artist. I whacked it on the credit card and made plans to travel with my girlfriend all the way to Edinburgh, which happens to be at the other end of the UK to where I live. Probably quite a short distance for you guys in the US though! :)

Right, ill cut to the chase...

There was no support act at the show, Tom came on and did a two and a half hour set. The crowd were clearly all a bunch of big Waits fans as their enthusiasm for the music was quite evident.

The set consisted mostly of songs from the more recent albums (as in the second half of his career), but there were some older tunes as well. With such a vast catalogue to chose from he wasn't able to play everything that people would have liked but I think the songs were chosen very well. From having seen set-lists from the other shows on the tour it seems that the band played some different songs in different orders at each gig.

One of the highlights for me was when he put on a mirror bowler hat (covered in small squares of mirror like a mirrorball!) and span around slowly on the spot. It filled the theatre with light in a very magical way!

Two of Wait's sons played in the band. Casey Waits on drums and percussion and Sullivan (i think it was?) came on occasionally to add extra percussion, clarinet and sax.

The band was excellent and they had clearly rehearsed together well to be able to play around Tom's improvisations!

Basically I loved it and had a blast. It was so good to get this rare opportunity to see probably my favorite artist.

To move things on topic...

I have always thought it strange that Tom Waits has not (to my knowledge) made use of the Uke in any of his songs. Although its often tricky to tell what instrument is what in a Tom Waits song!

Enough of my ramblings for now!:eek:

Wow, 2 and a half hours of Tom?! Heaven...

Glad you had the chance to see him and have such a great time. Thanks much for the review. It really made me smile. :D

Top Bottom